It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: 2022/23 Season
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:46 am 

Not a good start for the Bucks, Middleton and Connaughton both starting the season on the injured list.

Post subject: Re: 2022/23 Season
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:47 am 

Sounds like a great start to me Hawger!

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that the season is getting ready to start.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: What??
RFDC wrote:
Sounds like a great start to me Hawger!

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that the season is getting ready to start.

Like baseball, they should cut the season 20%

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

Morey's 58 game suggestion doesn't quite make it 2 games a week per team, assuming the season remains mid-October to mid-April or 6 months/26 weeks. I suppose if you throw in an extra game a month per team over those 6 months you get to 58. NBA does better in-person attendance on weekends but possibly the tv ratings are better on weeknights when more folks are at home in front of their flat screens. Don't see the NBA regular season games ever reaching NFL level ratings but reducing and then showcasing the product couldn't hurt. At least reducing the regular season schedule should improve the playoffs by leading to fewer key players sidelined with injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Reducing the number of games is a bad idea. If they reduced to 58 then the very same guys that find a way to sit out games because they have a damn hangnail are going to still find ways to sit out. They need to stop guaranteeing the contracts are place provisions in them which would allow them to terminate contracts whenever guys start on their b.s.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:49 pm 

Probably something like that coming down the pike in the next CBA, the Kyrie Irving rule, although he's not the only offender in that regard. It's sorta epidemic in the league at this point. So they'll do something to get guys back playing 90%+ of the regular season games. it's 50/50 when you buy tickets ahead of time to see Lebron or whomever play in your city if you'll actually get to see them play in the game. I don't recall Jordan or Magic taking so many games off. Even Bird would play through his many injuries. Plus Bird was a stat ho and wouldn't wanna miss out on a chance to pad his numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:20 pm 

There is more intrigue heading into this season than in any sport in my lifetime. I got my popcorn ready.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
There is more intrigue heading into this season than in any sport in my lifetime. I got my popcorn ready.

There really is a great deal of parity in the NBA right now. Moreso than any other time that I can remember. There are 10-12 teams that are legitimate contenders to win the championship.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:22 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

There really is a great deal of parity in the NBA right now. Moreso than any other time that I can remember. There are 10-12 teams that are legitimate contenders to win the championship.

Really the only down side is that the Bulls aren't in the twelve. Thanks to the Sox blowing, I've never reset the NBCSN app on my Apple tv. Hopefully the Bulls can have me change that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:20 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Really the only down side is that the Bulls aren't in the twelve. Thanks to the Sox blowing, I've never reset the NBCSN app on my Apple tv. Hopefully the Bulls can have me change that.

With their full unit they are solid. Drummond and Dragic are solid pickups. It's going to come down ultimately to Patrick Williams. He has to take "the step" this year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:42 pm 

Lakers still old, still bad, and still can't shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:46 am 

If Doc Rivers doesn't get Philly away from iso ball and can't get a cohesive bench, he's gone by the ASG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:53 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
If Doc Rivers doesn't get Philly away from iso ball and can't get a cohesive bench, he's gone by the ASG

Not that I'm a Rivers fan, but the East is a tough way to make a living as a coach. The Bulls have collected the most talent since the Rose days and I got them in 7th place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:04 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Not that I'm a Rivers fan, but the East is a tough way to make a living as a coach. The Bulls have collected the most talent since the Rose days and I got them in 7th place.

Players yes, talent, not necessarily.

As for Doc, I saw him compared to Russell Wilson, another previous "lock" for the HOF who may have ushered himself out of the Hall. He's always been a really nice guy and while I hope that the naysayers are wrong, I'm starting to agree with them. And fwiw, coaching is tough wherever you are with all of the (social) media, money and amount of control athletes rightly hold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nardi wrote:
Like baseball, they should cut the season 20%
Should also cut 20% of the playoff teams, and series that are 5 games for the first two rounds, seven games for the conf finals and finals.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:10 pm 

For the playoffs I would go 3 game series for the 1st round (As it used to be back in the late 70's early 80's) and 5 game series for the 2nd round. I don't think the owners would ever agree to it because all of the extra games drastically increases their revenue.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Players yes, talent, not necessarily.

As for Doc, I saw him compared to Russell Wilson, another previous "lock" for the HOF who may have ushered himself out of the Hall. He's always been a really nice guy and while I hope that the naysayers are wrong, I'm starting to agree with them. And fwiw, coaching is tough wherever you are with all of the (social) media, money and amount of control athletes rightly hold.

Its going to be tough to get away from Iso ball with guys like Harden and even Embiid on the roster though. Harden doesn't even move on offense unless he has the ball in his hands. I can't remember the last time I've seen him cut backdoor on offense or roll hard to the basket. His game is 100% centered on playing iso ball.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:15 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
For the playoffs I would go 3 game series for the 1st round (As it used to be back in the late 70's early 80's) and 5 game series for the 2nd round. I don't think the owners would ever agree to it because all of the extra games drastically increases their revenue.

No one is coming out with a real cut in any games with the t.v. contracts coming up soon. Hell, TNT just reupped with Barkley for nine figures, so there's really no way they'd cut the cash cow playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

No one is coming out with a real cut in any games with the t.v. contracts coming up soon. Hell, TNT just reupped with Barkley for nine figures, so there's really no way they'd cut the cash cow playoffs.

It would make the opening rounds of the playoffs so much more interesting though. Just like the play in games are currently doing.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Nardi wrote:

Kyrie is coming by the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I wonder if that's why Mike D'Antoni took a less tethered to the team/conflicting with the Philly role with New Orleans this past off-season: so he can be ready and able to take over from Doc when Morey makes the call.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:25 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'd trade Lebron and AD for extra Wembanyama lottery tickets + more. It's over for the Lakers this go round, they just don't wanna accept that reality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:13 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I wonder if that's why Mike D'Antoni took a less tethered to the team/conflicting with the Philly role with New Orleans this past off-season: so he can be ready and able to take over from Doc when Morey makes the call.

That makes a lot of sense. But I couldn't hire him for any chance at playoff success if I ran a team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:16 pm 

D'Antoni's offense is a nightmare to play in if you are a big.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
The Missing Link wrote:

I can't remember the last time I've seen him cut backdoor on offense or roll hard to the basket. .

He does it when Rivers has stadium personnel place Krispy Kreme donuts on the side of the court he wants Harden to run toward.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hussra wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'd trade Lebron and AD for extra Wembanyama lottery tickets + more. It's over for the Lakers this go round, they just don't wanna accept that reality.

This Nets thing is going to get really bad. Ben Simmons is single-handedly going to send Kyrie to the Lakers and Durant to the Suns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:26 am 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Nardi wrote:

This Nets thing is going to get really bad. Ben Simmons is single-handedly going to send Kyrie to the Lakers and Durant to the Suns.

It's a badly constructed roster.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:03 pm 

Dallas loses to a depleted Pelicans team that had eight players in double figures. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:23 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Dallas loses to a depleted Pelicans team that had eight players in double figures. :D

Watched the last quarter waiting for the next one. Luka and the Luka-naires. Looks like NBA hell for them boys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:31 pm 

Never got the Mark Cuban = genius thing. He sold a domain to yahoo for too much money at the height of the original dot com boom that yahoo promptly mothballed and never used and has done fuck-all since then except live off the proceeds of that thievery and make bad decisions for the Mavs. Luka will be gone in 2 years or sooner the way the Mavs roster is constructed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next