It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: LeBron James
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
veganfan21 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I'm fine with saying Kobe was a really really good #2 to Shaq's no 1 during the first two championships. They were equally 1 during the third. Kobe obviously was the clear-cut no 1 during his second championship run with Gasol.

Gasol should have received a Finals MVP during one of those series against Boston.

I'd give Kobe 1 but Gasol would definitely he no less than 1A during their run. He was a helluva lot more instrumental than he ever got credit for.

I'm not sure if anyone is not giving Gasol credit. Kobe doesn't win 2 finals without Gasol. I think they/I am saying he was clearly Pippen.

And I'm saying Gasol Was 1A. Pippen was never 1A to Jordan. He was always A Decided No. 2. And Jordan had a helluva lot more playoff and regular season success without Pippen than Kobe had without Gasol.
Gasol was literally a game changer for the Lakers

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
When Kobe didn't have All Time Great players around him his team's performance were rather shitty. That has to count for something.
The Lakers went to the finals 3 consecutive times between 2007-2010 and won the last 2. Unless you consider Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to be all-time greats, you might want to rethink that opinion.

Shaq never did anything without a top 3 guard. Even Jordan struggled without another guy who was top 5 st their position. The idea that Kobe should have done more than make the playoffs with Smush Parker is insane. Keep in mind the West was by far the best conference.

Kobe was never regarded as anything than Robin to Shaq's Batman. That's why he could shit the bed in series after series and the Lakers would still win.

You're the only one who believes this with no supporting evidence. We can see the stats and know you are wrong. We all saw Kobe close out games because Shaq couldn't make a free throw or because Shaq was in foul trouble. Kobe wasn't beloved by this generation of players because he could jump high. He's beloved because he was a killer and he won five titles.

You're going to war with a Slingshot. Now tell me what "WE" all saw again.

These stats from the Pacers Lakers series validate everything that I have stated. Shaq was the dude during the 3 peat.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... akers.html
37% and 15 points per game. Shaq avg. 38 per game for the series

Look at the Advanced Stats for that particular series. Kobe's were atrocious!

That must mean that you are a man with a paper ass. My slingshot is tearing holes through it.

I assumed that you were going to lean on the 3 straight air balls against the Jazz in like his rookie year. Nope. You use the series that I literally described him closing out in my post. Kobe pretty much missed most of Game 2 and all of game 3 with a sprained ankle. The Lakers led the series 2-1 and Shaq fouled out in overtime. Kobe scored 30 points and finished off the Pacers with clutch play after clutch play. WE all saw it. Here is the video since you missed it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Lp5aQq4zI

Kobe averaged 30 points a game for the playoffs the next 2 championships, and 25, 7, 6 in the Finals. Scoring 50 to finish off the King's in 2001. Followed by 45 for Pop in Game 1.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... melog/2001

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... nko01.html

What did top 20 KG do?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Last edited by Nas on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
You're the only one who believes this

Not true. I believe it too.

I know people wanted "The Next Jordan" and they use "rings" to judge greatness, but if you're assigning "rings" to a single player those were Shaq's, not Kobe's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 am 

I actually think you guys are making the best "Jordan isn't the GOAT" argument that exists by giving more credit than most do to the greatest big men in history. It also avoids the unfortunate "Russell Westbrook is better than Jordan" problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 am 

Nas wrote:
That must mean that you are a man with a paper ass. My slingshot is tearing holes through it.

I assumed that you were going to lean on the 3 straight air balls against the Jazz in like his rookie year. Nope. You use the series that I literally described him closing out in my post. Kobe pretty much missed most of Game 2 and all of game 3 with a sprained ankle. The Lakers led the series 2-1 and Shaq fouled out in overtime. Kobe scored 30 points and finished off the Pacers with clutch play after clutch play. WE all saw it. Here is the video since you missed it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Lp5aQq4zI

Kobe averaged 30 points a game for the playoffs the next 2 championships, and 25, 7, 6 in the Finals. Scoring 50 to finish off the King's in 2001. Followed by 45 for Pop in Game 1.

What did top 20 KG do?

The Lakers still won with Kobe sucking ass that series. And other series too. Which is my point. Look at some of his performances in some of those "critical" Western Conference series against teams like Portland and Sacramento. He wasn't giving much of shit then either.
And when Shaq could no longer be the "dominant" figure that he was, the Lakers were finished.

Look at guys like Dirk and what he did with "lesser" players and compare it to the great Kobe. Dirk went to the Finals with Josh Howard as his 2nd best player and won one (beating LeBron and Wade in their prime) with Tyson Chandler as his 2nd best. That's impact. Kobe asked to be traded when he had players of similar or lesser caliber.

KG was winning 50 games on a regular when the Wolves had shitty rosters while Kobe was barely going .500

And Kobe avg 26 points per game against a shitty Nets team and I haven't checked his stats against Weak ass Philly. The True test of his contributions would be the Western Conference Finals during those years anyway. That's where the real action was anyway

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
You're the only one who believes this

Not true. I believe it too.

I know people wanted "The Next Jordan" and they use "rings" to judge greatness, but if you're assigning "rings" to a single player those were Shaq's, not Kobe's.

Yep that is why he won the MVP in each Finals series during the 3 peat years. That wasn't an accident either. He was that dominant.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:01 am 
100000 CLUB

The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:

What did top 20 KG do?

The Lakers still won with Kobe sucking ass that series. And other series too. Which is my point. Look at some of his performances in some of those "critical" Western Conference series against teams like Portland and Sacramento. He wasn't giving much of shit then either.
And when Shaq could no longer be the "dominant" figure that he was, the Lakers were finished.

Look at guys like Dirk and what he did with "lesser" players and compare it to the great Kobe. Dirk went to the Finals with Josh Howard as his 2nd best player and won one (beating LeBron and Wade in their prime) with Tyson Chandler as his 2nd best. That's impact. Kobe asked to be traded when he had players of similar or lesser caliber.

KG was winning 50 games on a regular when the Wolves had shitty rosters while Kobe was barely going .500

And Kobe avg 26 points per game against a shitty Nets team and I haven't checked his stats against Weak ass Philly. The True test of his contributions would be the Western Conference Finals during those years anyway. That's where the real action was anyway

You have no point. I shredded your Pacers narrative and showed the stats for the following years. He scored 48 to finish the King's and then gave Duncan 45 to start off the WCF.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for the top 20 KG evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:08 am 

Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:

What did top 20 KG do?

You have no point. I shredded your Pacers narrative and showed the stats for the following years. He scored 48 to finish the King's and then gave Duncan 45 to start off the WCF.

Garnett has 1 League MVP to his name while Kobe has none. And Garnett has a ring with Guys that were never as good as Shaq (definitely not) or even Gasol. And Garnett was arguably the best PF during an era when PF was the dominant position in the NBA. And as Stated previously Garnett has a history of winning 50 games with Shitty rosters while Kobe did not. There is your "evidence".

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I agree with LTG that Kobe wasn't the playoffs legend that the world makes him out to be. The big difference between him and Jordan, was that Mike got off a good shot 99.5% of the time. Kobe was mortal in that regard. I probably give Kobe a top 20 designation though because I don't pander to the Wilt/Russell "great for their time" trope.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
KG was never the best PF. That was always Duncan. That's just messed up to even suggest that.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:31 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
KG was never the best PF. That was always Duncan. That's just messed up to even suggest that.

Operative term was "arguably" and it's "messed up" to just simply ignore that.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 am 

No one is arguing that or will argue that.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:34 am 

Nardi wrote:
The big difference between him and Jordan, was that Mike got off a good shot 99.5% of the time. Kobe was mortal in that regard.

This is the main reason he could never be considered in Jordan's class. Jordan was virtually unstoppable one on one while Kobe was hardly ever that.
Could you imagine a bum like Ruben Patterson ever running around "bragging" about being the "Jordan stopper" as he did with Kobe?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:35 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

There were plenty of people arguing at the time actually.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:35 am 
100000 CLUB

The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:

What did top 20 KG do?

Garnett has 1 League MVP to his name while Kobe has none. And Garnett has a ring with Guys that were never as good as Shaq (definitely not) or even Gasol. And Garnett was arguably the best PF during an era when PF was the dominant position in the NBA. And as Stated previously Garnett has a history of winning 50 games with Shitty rosters while Kobe did not. There is your "evidence".

Kobe won league MVP in 2008, was robbed of an MVP when he averaged 40 points a game, and won Finals and all star game MVPs. Garnett was the 3rd best player on that championship team. PF was NEVER the dominant position in the NBA, Garnett was NEVER considered a better player than Kobe. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were better players than Gasol. Other than that...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:40 am 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:

He was Reggie Miller to Duncan's MJ when it came to power forwards. LTGs irrational and fact less hate of Kobe will make him say anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:41 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

At the time. Yes. The dust is settled. Duncan is king. It's not clear if KG is better than Dirk. That's an argument. Not Duncan vs KG.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:45 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

At the time. Yes. The dust is settled. Duncan is king. It's not clear if KG is better than Dirk. That's an argument. Not Duncan vs KG.

My point was always relative to the era in which PF was the best position in the game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:48 am 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

He was Reggie Miller to Duncan's MJ when it came to power forwards. LTGs irrational and fact less hate of Kobe will make him say anything.

You're confusing "hate" with not having an irrational, over the top love affair going with him as you have. I have him just outside the top 20 All Time. I think that is a "fair" and "balanced" assessment of him as a player.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You do realize that Kobe won 2 rings after Shaq was gone, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You do realize that Kobe won 2 rings after Shaq was gone, right?

I do. And if you're assigning "rings" to a single player feel free to assign those 2 to Kobe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

I'm not sure Shaq was the best player in LA after the first 2 trips to the Finals. Shaq also had 3 of the greatest guards in NBA history and only managed to win 4 titles in 6 tries. That's embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:41 am 

Nas wrote:
I'm not sure Shaq was the best player in LA after the first 2 trips to the Finals. Shaq also had 3 of the greatest guards in NBA history and only managed to win 4 titles in 6 tries. That's embarrassing.
Shaq was the dude that carried them against Sacramento in the 02 series. Not Kobe.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:42 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Dirk vs. KG isn’t an argument. Kevin easily played both ends of the court at an All NBA level for at least a decade and was clearly a better player than Dirk, who was a better scorer I’ll readily agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am 
100000 CLUB

The Lakers were down 2-3 in the series. What did Kobe do the Las 2 games? He scored 61 points, grabbed 22 rebounds, and had 12 assists. We know Kobe closed the King's out the year before with a 50 piece spicy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:58 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Dirk vs. KG isn’t an argument. Kevin easily played both ends of the court at an All NBA level for at least a decade and was clearly a better player than Dirk, who was a better scorer I’ll readily agree.

Dirk led a team to the promised land. He did not have a superstar partner in crime. KG maxed out at appearing in a WCF as his team's no 1.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:59 am 

Nas wrote:
The Lakers were down 2-3 in the series. What did Kobe do the Las 2 games? He scored 61 points, grabbed 22 rebounds, and had 12 assists. We know Kobe closed the King's out the year before with a 50 piece spicy.

He Shot 41% for the series. That is atrocious for a shooting guard. Shaq dominated as usual

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm 

We can also fast forward to 2004 when RIP Hamilton got up with him and they were "gentlemenly" swept in the finals. Kobe shot 38% for the series. Again atrocious

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm 

Nardi wrote:
I agree with LTG that Kobe wasn't the playoffs legend that the world makes him out to be. The big difference between him and Jordan, was that Mike got off a good shot 99.5% of the time. Kobe was mortal in that regard. I probably give Kobe a top 20 designation though because I don't pander to the Wilt/Russell "great for their time" trope.

What do you mean by legend? I don't see how Kobe's legacy is overinflated by being in however many series he was in.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:

He Shot 41% for the series. That is atrocious for a shooting guard. Shaq dominated as usual

And Kobe killing in Game 6 and 7 helped get the Lakers over the top. The refs helped too. Truthfully, that's probably the best series Shaq played in his life. He was motivated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next