It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:18 am 

It's rumors right now, but if this is true, the NBA is in a heap of trouble.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:36 am 

Nas wrote:
They never mention the referee. I want to know who he/she is.

I'm sure it won't be long. Not to speculate, but Joey Crawford disappeared pretty quickly after the Tim Duncan incident. It's probably some no name but if a referee is arrested, this could be a near fatal blow for the NBA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:36 am 

I bet it was Violet Palmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm sure it won't be long. Not to speculate, but Joey Crawford disappeared pretty quickly after the Tim Duncan incident. It's probably some no name but if a referee is arrested, this could be a near fatal blow for the NBA.

I don't know if it will be that big of a blow. Obviously, it's a big deal that a ref was "shaving points", but how will this affect the NBA? This guy/girl will never ref again (and will most likely spend some time in jail). An investigation will be done by the league and life will go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:42 am 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know if it will be that big of a blow. Obviously, it's a big deal that a ref was "shaving points", but how will this affect the NBA? This guy/girl will never ref again (and will most likely spend some time in jail). An investigation will be done by the league and life will go on.

The NBA already has an image problem about conspiracies. I'm not saying I agree with it but people already have an unfair opinion that the players are all thugs, that they don't care and are just spoiled millionaires, and that big market teams get helped in the playoffs. This will add to the list that the referees are controlling the games.

If this was the NFL, you would be right, but everything seems to stick to the NBA. Many people still think of the NBA and the Ron Artest brawl only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The NBA already has an image problem about conspiracies. I'm not saying I agree with it but people already have an unfair opinion that the players are all thugs, that they don't care and are just spoiled millionaires, and that big market teams get helped in the playoffs. This will add to the list that the referees are controlling the games.

If this was the NFL, you would be right, but everything seems to stick to the NBA. Many people still think of the NBA and the Ron Artest brawl only.

I see your point. I guess what I meant to say is, it won't change the way I enjoy the product they put out on the court. I could see how it could turn away the casual fan, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I think it was Pete Rose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I see your point. I guess what I meant to say is, it won't change the way I enjoy the product they put out on the court. I could see how it could turn away the casual fan, though.

It won't change my opinion, even though I think you have to wonder about all other referees in all other sports, but if it was truly just point shaving, it doesn't affect me. If it somehow comes out that outcomes of games were decided by this then it goes to a whole new level.

The NBA better hope Lebron James becomes a national superstar, because they seem to get very little good publicity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Right, because San Antonio, Detroit, Cleveland, Utah, etc. are big markets...If the NBA was trying to control things I'm sure Utah making it to the conf. finals wasn't what they had in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:12 am 

I'm trying to think how this could happen without anyone noticing it...either it would have had to taken place in the closing minutes of a game that wasn't all that close...although I suppose calling fouls in the NBA is like calling holding, you could do it every time if you wanted and no one could really dispute it. Don't they review and grade the refs periodically? Isn't that how the other woman ref got axed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:49 am 
1000 CLUB

The most problematic aspect of this (aside from the obvious) is that it was pushed by bookmakers, not bettors. Having a ref accept money from a major player, say a guy that lays $20K a bet, is one thing. But having a ring of bookmakers dangling a carrot (in this case, the carrot being a "soft" line) in order to draw a bunch of unsuspecting one-sided action, now suddenly we're talking about a ton more money involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 pm 

There's a name attached now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943095

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
big market teams get helped in the playoffs.

I know one big market team that got helped in the 1994 Playoffs. Somebody should be investigating Hue Hollins.

I never got over that and I probably never will. :cry:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
Kid Cairo wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I know one big market team that got helped in the 1994 Playoffs. Somebody should be investigating Hue Hollins.

What's the story here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 pm 

Houston Homer wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What's the story here?

:shock:

Hue Hollins cost us a championship, that's what

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:20 pm 

Baku wrote:
Houston Homer wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What's the story here?

:shock:

Hue Hollins cost us a championship, that's what

Well, obviously not "us", as my team was the world champion that year. And the next.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm 

Nas wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:

That really hurt. Especially after my waving at the tv made Ewing miss free throws. I was about 12 then but it still felt like the Bulls losing to the Pistons. Pippen did everything in game 6 (that dunk on Ewing is very underrated) to force a game 7 but they couldn't pull it out. Scottie would have been the MVP if Hakeem wasn't playing.

Awwweeee...a 12 year old Nas. :lol: I was 24, and I was so pissed during the finals game when NBC went to the game on a small screen in the corner and the white Bronco chase on a HUGE screen. I had my nose to the tv screen trying to see the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:26 pm 

Scottie was Superman in 1994. Still my favorite player ever. I have no doubt that without that bad call from Hue Hollins, Scottie & Da Boo would've won the Eastern Finals and gone on to deny Hakeem his first NBA Title. Sorry Homer. :wink:

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:34 pm 

Houston Homer wrote:
What's the story here?

If I remember correctly, Da Boo led the Knicks by 1 with time running out in Game 5. Hubert Davis went for a three, Pippen put a hand up and the ref called a foul on Scottie. It was obvious that Pippen didn't even come close to touching Davis on the shot, especially after the replays. Davis hit both free throws and the Knicks went up 3 to 2 in the series.

Bulls blew the Knicks out in Chicago in Game 6 but went back to New York and got spanked in Game 7. So if not for the bad call, Da Boo would've closed the series out in 6 and never would've had to play Game 7 in the Garden. The home team won every game in that series.

Last edited by The Original Kid Cairo on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm 

Thanks Kid!

I was not following the Eastern Conference playoffs. I was busy sticking pins in my Barkley, Stockton & Malone voodoo dolls!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Um, does this mean we have to start watching hockey again?
:roll:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:04 pm 

NO! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:27 pm 

Baku wrote:

for whatever its worth im pretty sure he is the one that rasheed got into it with in the parking lot in portland a few years ago, and he was on the crew that did the game with the indiana/detroit brawl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
and was involved in the spurs/suns game 3 this year...one of the worst games I've ever seen officiated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkKdXLwt0U

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

A couple points that haven't been made.

-This ref wan't fixing games when he started. Obviously. The guy fell into big time debt. If he was fixing them he was bad at it.

-Plus do you think the mob would take action from a ref on games that he's working? Do you think they're that dumb? LOL.

Mob - So that's the Bulls for 10 grand right? Hey, aren't you working that game?

Ref - Yep.

Mob - Oh wow. That's cool. You'll be able to follow it. Well hey buddy, good luck.

See my point.

- When he got into debt the mob might have made him fix it for their gambling purposes. But who's this ref gonna bet through? Not them. He's working for them now. I guess he could have got his money on the game in Las Vegas but there has been no evidence of that.

So in the end he might have been fixing it to square his debt. But he didn't fix em when he started. Why? Because he was in huge debt.

He was obviously betting on other NBA games that he didn't ref. Just your regular gambler. But he was bad and he was a chaser.

That's all it took for the mob to have him.