It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
Baku wrote:
Kid Cairo wrote:
Baku wrote:
Not really NBA related, but I'll never forget seeing Ronnie Fields dominate a high school game. What a tragedy....

Very true. Did you see the 1995 McDonald's All-American game? Ronnie Fields & KG put on a helluva show!

Quote:
No, I didn't see that...I can't even remember where the game I saw was at or who they played against. I think it was some holiday showcase, around xmas or something

Quote:
I did see KG play my high school though, and give them a proper beatdown. Still have the school paper

Some good highlights of Ronnie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwiAl8L3xUU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
FavreFan wrote:
Catch that GS/NO game? GS was on their game, Baron, Jackson, and Monta all had big games. CP vs. Baron was fun to watch.

That was a GREAT game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Big Ern wrote:

Thanks for attaching this Big Ern! Brought back a lot of memories. I have no doubt that if not for the car accident, Ronnie would've been an NBA all-star right along with KG. The skills he had are impossible to teach. You have to be born with talent like that.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Baku wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Catch that GS/NO game? GS was on their game, Baron, Jackson, and Monta all had big games. CP vs. Baron was fun to watch.

That was a GREAT game

I didnt catch the Cavs/Portland game either, but from the recap and the highlights that looked like a great game too. Apparently Portland pissed off Bron and he made a reverse layup with less than a second left to win by 1.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Baku wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That was a GREAT game

I didnt catch the Cavs/Portland game either, but from the recap and the highlights that looked like a great game too. Apparently Portland pissed off Bron and he made a reverse layup with less than a second left to win by 1.

Not only that, but, down by 11, LeBron hits 3 consecutive 3's and scored 17 (I think) in that quarter. Amazing. His last second layup was extremely patient. He stood outside the 3 point line after getting the inbounds with 4.9 seconds left for about 1-2 seconds, and then attacked, and layed it in with 0.3 to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
Kid Cairo wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Thanks for attaching this Big Ern! Brought back a lot of memories. I have no doubt that if not for the car accident, Ronnie would've been an NBA all-star right along with KG. The skills he had are impossible to teach. You have to be born with talent like that.

He even said that he never worked out. That was nothing but God given talent. There were alot of Chicago kids during the early 90's that blew great opportunities. Off the top of my head are:
Jamie Brandon-King
Rashaad Griffith-King
Johnny Selvie- King

Can anyone add to that list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 pm 

This Cavs-Celtics game has the makings of a great one right now..Le Bron and Ray Allen are on fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:54 pm 

Im actually watching Pau's first game with the Lakers right now thanks to you. Might change it obviously as the night goes on. Lebron seems like he could be on track for one of those 40-12-12 nights.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 pm 

Some great comments from Bill Simmons NBA in New Orleans article today. Some of them address what we have been talking about recently.

Quote:
Fortunately for us, the Commish never wavered. Not only did he keep the All-Star Game in New Orleans and pull off a safe weekend, but he committed to the single largest day of community service in the history of professional sports -- a group of 2,500 people that included players, NBA employees, media people, investors, sponsors and politicians spending Friday afternoon at 10 different locations -- that lifted the spirits of everyone in the area. At the age of 65, following a tumultous 2007 season that had insiders quietly wondering if he should step down soon, David Stern turned in what was unquestionably his greatest moment. I really believe that. It's one thing to make everyone rich, it's another thing to enrich people's lives.

Quote:
Have you noticed what the new generation of All-Stars has in common?

These are all likable guys.

What's not to like about LeBron James? Dwyane Wade? Chris Bosh? Chris Paul? Deron Williams? Brandon Roy? Dwight Howard? Throw in Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis and Al Horford, and you're talking about an entire team of likable and gifted stars under the age of 25. There isn't a bad apple in the bunch. From a historical standpoint, LeBron has a chance to be one of the best 10 players ever. Howard has a chance to be one of the best big men ever. And Paul has a chance to surpass Isiah Thomas as the greatest 6-footer ever.

And this one is for Nas... :wink:
A bit of a joke but I actually agree

Quote:
As one NBA higher-up whispered to me last weekend, "People still think we have an image problem, I just don't get it. Do they even watch us? Do they see the caliber of the guys we have now?"

That's the issue gnawing at everyone working for the league right now. The NFL has considerably more thugs, Major League Baseball has a steroids scandal that basically has tainted the last 15 years of games, and somehow, the NBA is still perceived as the league with an image problem? For God's sake, if the NBA can't put that tag to rest this year, of all years, then it's never happening, and we'll have to accept there are deeper issues at work here.

(Well, one deeper issue. And you know what it is.)

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:14 pm 

Alright, I'll bite...I'm assuming you and Simmons are referring to some kind of racial reasons, but actually the first thing I thought about was the Donaghy scandal. You know for years people have been talking about games being rigged and that gave them alot of ammunition. I really think that turned a lot of people off and really there has been no resolution, you have to admit unlike steroid/NFL stuff, this one has been swept under the rug for all intensive purposes...we haven't heard a lot about it at all as of late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm 

Baku wrote:
Alright, I'll bite...I'm assuming you and Simmons are referring to some kind of racial reasons, but actually the first thing I thought about was the Donaghy scandal. You know for years people have been talking about games being rigged and that gave them alot of ammunition. I really think that turned a lot of people off and really there has been no resolution, you have to admit unlike steroid/NFL stuff, this one has been swept under the rug for all intensive purposes...we haven't heard a lot about it at all as of late.

That might be it, but whenever I hear people like Belvidere and others talk about the NBA, they always go to the "thug" angle. I really dont hear many people say they dont like the corruption/rigging thing. I always hear how everyone in the NBA is too selfish, its not pure ball, too many thugs, etc.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:34 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Baku wrote:

That might be it, but whenever I hear people like Belvidere and others talk about the NBA, they always go to the "thug" angle. I really dont hear many people say they dont like the corruption/rigging thing. I always hear how everyone in the NBA is too selfish, its not pure ball, too many thugs, etc.

No, you're right...what you said is usually what's brought up, along with "too much isolation / one on one"

The ref scandal is just the first thing I thought of for some odd reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:37 pm 

Im actually very surprised that more attention hasnt been given to the Donaghy matter. When the story first broke I couldnt believe it, and even had fears of my favorite league shutting down. I cant believe that as recently as six months later noone seems to give a shit. I actually think that thats the correct response though, I mean it does seem like it was just a "isolated, rogue criminal" and not some conspiracy. Plus Lebron landed in Cleveland, Oden in portland, and Durant in Seattle. Meanwhile the Knicks got Wilson Chandler. As of right now the conspiracy theorists dont have alot of ammunition.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm 

2nd half begins tonight!

Can't wait for the Hawks-Lakers game and the debut of Bibby

Celtics-Nuggets should be good too, KG should be back

:bball:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm 

I cant wait for tomorrow's Suns/Lakers game. Im sure the Diesel wont contribute all that much in his first game with the team, but it's still probably a highly anticipated matchup.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I cant wait for tomorrow's Suns/Lakers game. Im sure the Diesel wont contribute all that much in his first game with the team, but it's still probably a highly anticipated matchup.

Yeah, that should be good too

I wonder how Kobe's injury is going to affect them for the rest of the season

I'm kind of the opinion that he should have had the surgery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:39 pm 

Baku wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah same here. Im very surprised that hes not going to, and also very surprised that nobody seems to think he should. Im guessing the logic would be with the West so damned packed they could fall out of the playoffs even if they go 12-12 without him in the lineup.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Baku wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah same here. Im very surprised that hes not going to, and also very surprised that nobody seems to think he should. Im guessing the logic would be with the West so damned packed they could fall out of the playoffs even if they go 12-12 without him in the lineup.

I think that's the general consensus, but still...I can't believe they would, especially with Gasol now. I think they've got enough to keep them afloat

Still...how about this for a 4 game road trip (beginning of March)- New Orleans, Houston, Dallas & Utah. Then a game off against Seattle, then a home and home with Golden State. Ouch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm 

Wow... tomorrow Suns/Lakers with everyone playing, and Dallas/New Orleans with Kidd playing for Dallas. Tomorrow's gonna be a fun NBA night. Im as excited for this 2nd half of the season and playoffs as I can remember being as an NBA fan. Theres a good chance that a team will win 50 games in the Western Conference and not make the playoffs.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 pm 

There is still a chance that Denver goes after Artest as well which would just continue to raise the level of competition in the West to new heights. There are going to be some outstanding first round matchups out West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:10 pm 

I would love to see Cleveland get Mike Miller. He would compliment Lebron as well or better than any other player in the league probably. He would definitely put them in contention with Boston and Detroit, who I still think are the two best teams in the NBA despite the West's recent shakeup.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 pm 

I would absolutely love to see Artest on the Nuggets. That would be Stern's worst nightmare for a variety of reasons, but would ensure the most competitive playoff bracket ever (and would be my pick for the title).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17 pm 

Why would it be Sterns worst nightmare? I think it would be great for the league. I cant remember the last time one conference in any sport has been this deep and talented. The only angle I can see you coming from is the Iverson/Artest angle, but one thing they have in common is they love to win and are among the fiercest competitors in the league. Plus Iverson in 2008 is vastly different from Iverson circa 1997.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
How 'bout Camby's line tonight?!

13 boards, 11 points, 3 steals, 3 assists, only 1 turnover, and misses a dang triple double by 1 BLOCK!! (He had 9 Blocks!!)

I still think he was the biggest all star snub

Ask Baku about my man love for Camby. Im one more triple double with blocks away from becoming CambyFan.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Why would it be Sterns worst nightmare? I think it would be great for the league. I cant remember the last time one conference in any sport has been this deep and talented. The only angle I can see you coming from is the Iverson/Artest angle, but one thing they have in common is they love to win and are among the fiercest competitors in the league. Plus Iverson in 2008 is vastly different from Iverson circa 1997.

Stern would not only have to revisit the Iverson & Artest issues all over again, but more distressingly for the Association, you are looking at another (relatively) small market team in terms of TV ratings. You just know that when Gasol went to LA, the commissioner had a wet dream.

It(Denver with Artest) is the quintessential double edged sword for the Association. Great competition, but troubling background stories with yet another regional team in the spotlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Stern would not only have to revisit the Iverson & Artest issues all over again, but more distressingly for the Association, you are looking at another (relatively) small market team in terms of TV ratings. You just know that when Gasol went to LA, the commissioner had a wet dream.

It(Denver with Artest) is the quintessential double edged sword for the Association. Great competition, but troubling background stories with yet another regional team in the spotlight.

Maybe Im naive but I dont think that Denver not being a huge market is a big deal. They have plenty of star power, and if they get Artest that will even add to it. I dont see how anyone can hate on Iverson if they've followed the league recently. I think Denver would be a more intriguing team than Houston, Portland, Utah(even though Utah is probably better), etc. in terms of playoff/marketing purposes.

Either way it doesnt really matter, theres a shitload of storylines that can be covered in the next 4 months for the NBA. It'll be pretty exciting to see how things unfold.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:27 pm 

Chris Paul just schooled Kidd...of course it's his first game with Dallas, but Paul was incredible...5 steals in the first quarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

Just think, in one night:

Mavs vs. Hornets
Suns vs. Lakers
Celtics vs. Warriors
Hawks vs. Kings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am 

Baku wrote:
Chris Paul just schooled Kidd...of course it's his first game with Dallas, but Paul was incredible...5 steals in the first quarter

Sweet buddha...
31 pts, 11 ast, 9 stl, 5 reb, and only 1 turnover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:11 am 

trickybeck wrote:
Baku wrote:

Sweet buddha...
31 pts, 11 ast, 9 stl, 5 reb, and only 1 turnover

Yeah theres so many PG's better than him :roll:

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next