It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
They should raise the limit to 20 years old and 2 years removed from HS just for the sake of me getting to watch better basketball. It seemed like Brandon Jennings found a pretty good work around from doing the college route.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
They should raise the limit to 20 years old and 2 years removed from HS just for the sake of me getting to watch better basketball. It seemed like Brandon Jennings found a pretty good work around from doing the college route.

I agree that the product has been better, but I just can't understand why current players would be fighting for something that would in the long run hurt them. If you are 30+ year old veteran bench player, you could be out of a job if guys start coming out of high school again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:44 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

I agree that the product has been better, but I just can't understand why current players would be fighting for something that would in the long run hurt them. If you are 30+ year old veteran bench player, you could be out of a job if guys start coming out of high school again.

Cause they are counting on enough of them to go the D. Miles route and flame out and that teams will have to come crawling back to the phone to dial up Lindsay Hunter and Kurt Thomas. Or more likely they hadn't given any thought to what you are saying at all and are just going along with the party line.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:44 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
It would be my guess that it's simply a negotiation tactic.

Players: Get rid of the age requirement
League: No, we like it
Players: Well, if you put stripper poles in the locker room you can keep it.
League: Fine, whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Even if it does happen, the NHL will still somehow manage to lose more fans...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:15 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:21 pm 

I think these two gifs are actually from the same game...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
I think these two gifs are actually from the same game...

The guy doing the music must have been really been playing the hits that night..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I was going to post the same thing as Douchebag on the age restriction issue. I'm NBA retarded and gladly admit as much, but this seems to make absolutely no sense. Once the age restriction is loosened, the current players will face a tighter labor market. Eventually, this will go back to equilibrium, but the players union doesn't represent future players; they only represent current players. And I simply do not see how it is in current players best interests to remove the age limitation.

There has to be something I'm missing here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
If the players association is smart they are using the age issue similarly to how Boiler Rick is describing, just for something more important than a stripper pole. The age limits get good press. Some of the other items that might be more important to them don't. They can "fight" for something with good press like the age limits, relinquish the age issue, and expect that one of the other more important issues has a better chance of getting favorable treatment from the press, and the owners.

I don't think it is going to matter in the long run. This ship is headed for rough seas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 am 

NBA Cancels Summer League. Not a good sign. I was thinking of making a July Vegas trip and thought I would maybe check out some hoops, I guess I'll just have to hang out with Mac and his kid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Douchebag wrote:
NBA Cancels Summer League. Not a good sign. I was thinking of making a July Vegas trip and thought I would maybe check out some hoops, I guess I'll just have to hang out with Mac and his kid.

Don't forget to take pictures.....of Vegas too.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am 

This is why the owners have to get something done to avoid a lockout. This season has been one of the best probably since the Jordan era. If there is a lockout and any games are lost, any of that momentum that was gained this year will be easily rolled back.

Quote:
NBA playoff ratings skyrocket from '10

NEW YORK -- The NBA attracted plenty of attention all offseason, and that's carried over into the real games.

Those months of free-agent intrigue fed into robust television ratings in the regular season and now into the playoffs. Viewership for the first round was up 30 percent from last year.

"We actually couldn't be more pleased," Commissioner David Stern said on a conference call Monday. "We're actually a little surprised, but pleasantly."

First-round games on ABC, ESPN and TNT were watched by an average of 4.15 million people, up from fewer than 3.2 million last year.

The big jump came on top of already-strong ratings. In 2007, the first round averaged fewer than 2.7 million viewers.

To this point of the playoffs, TNT has drawn the highest average rating ever for games on cable. The network's 23 games averaged a 2.7 rating -- representing the percentage of American homes with televisions tuned in -- easily eclipsing the previous high of 2.3 in 2009.

ESPN's first-round ratings were the highest since it began televising the playoffs in 2003, and ABC's were the best since 2004.

"I know it isn't league management that's responsible. I'm pretty sure it's the compelling stories the players have been delivering on the court," Stern said.

Even the series that ended quickly had plenty of close games in the first round. A No. 8 seed upset a No. 1 when Memphis eliminated San Antonio. Marquee teams in the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks and Bulls made the playoffs -- along with a certain Miami squad that's been getting so much publicity.

A Grizzlies-Hawks finals wouldn't exactly inspire the same buzz as, say, Lakers-Heat, but for now the NBA is in prime position to draw some more big ratings.

"This is about as good as it gets," Stern said.

Last edited by Douchebag on Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
age restrictions are a joke, if you are good enough to play and get drafted then nobody should have the right to deny you that. and nobody should be forced to play in college or go to europe over such a stupid ass rule. krause fucked up and drafted 2 high school players one was a stiff(7 footer who averaged like 8 rebounds in high school) one turned into a nice player.if you don't have the balls to draft the next kobe or k.g. then dont, take some 3 year starter out of college.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am 

312player wrote:
age restrictions are a joke, if you are good enough to play and get drafted then nobody should have the right to deny you that. and nobody should be forced to play in college or go to europe over such a stupid ass rule. krause fucked up and drafted 2 high school players one was a stiff(7 footer who averaged like 8 rebounds in high school) one turned into a nice player.if you don't have the balls to draft the next kobe or k.g. then dont, take some 3 year starter out of college.

What does any of this discussion have to do with Jerry Krause.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The lockout is coming I think but the system does need to change

Give rc Buford, pops, or Sam presti credit. Atlanta didn't have to pay Joe, all that did was essentially guarantee their mediocrity into the future 4-5 more years. GMs aren't forced to sign him because there is noone else out there that summer. That is terrible logic but it's the reason why we are where we are

Like Simmons has said, theres a reason guys like pops have done this for over a decade. Save up draft picks, don't overpay average guys, and take advantage of teams in panic mode. The scola deal is the lone major blemish on the pops/Buford resume iirc

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am 

How long does everyone think the lockout lasts?

I think the season ends up starting sometime around Christmas. The owners will break the union and end up with a very favorable deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 pm 

It's official.

Owners have voted to lockout the players.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
TNT's always outspoken "Inside the NBA" analyst Charles Barkley told "The Dan Patrick Show" last Friday he thinks there won't be a single NBA game played this fall & winter. He thinks the impending lockout could be a doozy, "Armaggedon for the owners"...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Stern is a genius. He won't get that but he's going to absolutely dominate the players in this.

There are too many players who simply cannot afford to not have a season.

Yes, and its a fair thing to say about football and baseball, too. I'd say the players are dumb, but who here wouldn't be spending if they brought in that kind of money?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Stern is a genius. He won't get that but he's going to absolutely dominate the players in this.

There are too many players who simply cannot afford to not have a season.

Good point.

I just think it's the mid-level players that are killing some teams. There are only a handful of guys who should command max dollars in the NBA. Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Kobe, Durant, and maybe a couple others. Guys like Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Rashard Lewis, AK 47, Michael Redd, etc, do not put butts in the seats and shouldn't be dragging payrolls down with their max or near max deals.

At least quote Simmons if your gonna post that, its close to verbatim.

Nevermind that, who in basketball today brings butts in the seats?

For that matter, if I go to a football game because I hate the Igles and want to watch Beloved destroy them, who on their team brought my butt to the seat? Arguably, no-one. Arguably, the "team" as a organ-i-zation. Lots of nuances here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:

I think it lasts til both sides reach an agreement

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I think it lasts til both sides reach an agreement

I'll jerk off into all of your socks.