It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Near Season Wrap-up

This is my interpretation of the NBA through just about 75 games.

Jbills BBall Background (Hater reference)

From about 1994 through 2008 I watched literally thousands of hours of basketball. I’m talking every Bulls game for the second three-peat. Every TNT game I could watch when they used to broadcast on both Tuesday and Thursday. Let’s not forget the gratuitous amount of college basketball when the players were actually still good. Lebron James first televised High school game. I was working at a bar watching in horror, disgust, and a weird sense of awe as the Pacers took on the entire Auburn Hills Arena in 2005. I’ve also seen enough of Kobe to say with confidence he got robbed, twice, for regular season MVP awards. In high school, I organized a draft for 7 different basketball tournaments which were played at my parent’s house on our abnormally great basketball hoop (Goalrilla baby!). These tournaments always had trophies and money prizes for the top 3 teams. Good times. I also played recreationally for 15+ years up until I didn’t have health insurance anymore. By far my favorite basketball to watch or research was the pre And1 playground basketball mainly played in or around Rucker Park. Some of the best basketball stories you’ll ever here involve 1970’s playground basketball. In case you are wondering, yes, I even maintained a few relationships with attractive females during this iris disintegrating endeavor.

Onto the 2010-11 campaign so far…

MVP Candidates

1. Derrick Rose

Vitals- 24.9ppg (Career High)// 7.9apg (Career High)//85%FT (Career High)

Great players should be rewarded for their achievements. Too often the best players in the league are shafted for a tedious over-analyzing of the MVP process. That won’t happen to Derrick this year. D.Rose’s dynamic rise to top 5, best PG in the game status seems recognized by everyone. Michael Jordan thinks he’s the MVP. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. said he’s the sharp pick every night. One of the more telling statistics of Rose’s now transcendent game is his improved scoring average of 4 points all three years in the league. Personally, watching Rose from his Junior year in high school to now, I’ve seen him go from silent killer to unstoppable assassin. There are multiple factors for this. A good portion of credit should go to the Olympic trials. Specifically, the exact moment he figured out his place as one of the best players in the world. He found his “Star Player” as Katt Williams would say. It’s actually amazing D.Rose hasn’t hit a wall of fatigue or caught a nasty injury bug. He really is a matchup nightmare. No one can check 6’3” of strong core, wide shoulders, and a top speed only comparable to Lebron and Iverson. Just imagine if the Bulls had a competent 2 guard.

2. Lebron James

Vitals- 26.4ppg//7.4rpg//6.8apg//50%FG

Despite a slight drop in statistics Lebron still remains the most talented player in the league. Don’t let D.Rose’s ascension fool you. There is no other player in the league capable of shutting down the other team’s best player (Regardless of position), scoring 30, and blending in either 10 assists or rebounds (Maybe both) any given night. Sometimes he’ll complete this task three or four times in a week. If the Heat hadn’t gone all emo and lost five straight at the beginning of March the MVP discussion would actually be a discussion.

3. Dwight Howard

Vitals- 23.1ppg (Career High)//14.2rpg//60%FG//2.4bpg//1.3spg (Career High)

The best center in the game. The most talented defensive presence any team could ask for. Arguably one of the best athletes in the world. Even though the Magic front office has been more unreliable than a girlfriend on anti-depressants, Dwight Howard is the constant. An unmovable and now even more agitated force of nature, D.Howard can only stop himself at this point (See 58%FT). The depletion of quality big men around the globe has assuredly led to a sudden development in his offensive game. Many people were giving Hakeem Olajuwon all the credit for “working” with Dwight over the summer. Apparently, Olajuwon only worked with Dwight for a few days at the most. While those few days with the ‘Dream’ helped, I give most of the mentoring credit to Patrick Ewing. Keep in mind, when Dwight fully redefines his offensive game, it’ll be a hybrid blend of the two best centers of the late 80’s. Big men are notorious for not peaking statistically until their late 20’s, and Howard is no different. He’s 25. Yes, only 25. Can’t wait to see him in a Laker uniform.

4. Kobe Bryant

Vitals- 25.1ppg//5.2rpg//45%FG//83%FT

A homer pick. Kobe, to me, is the best shot maker ever. MJeff is the better player (3 Defensive POY as a shooting guard!!!), but Jordan’s patented fade-away only came from one angle. It is a timeless move. Sort of like the Moonwalk of the NBA. Jordan is no comparison to Kobe when it comes to consistently making shots from every angle imaginable. Kobe has done for over 10 years what Vince Carter can only dream about. His shooting % doesn’t appear to drop when a hand is up. Contact doesn’t affect him, as he expertly readjusts his shot for an open angle on the way down while still getting a whistle. I don’t even have to mention the shivers he’ll give every opposing team in a close game. Pressure just doesn’t exist in his psyche. He drives the Lakers. I don’t want to hear shit about Pau Gasol being the best player on that team. As long as #24 is in Purple and Gold, no one else can even be mentioned as the Alpha. All that said, at 32 years old he is now fighting father time. The weeks of scoring 30+ are probably gone for good. The ligaments on a couple of his fingers are mangled. His lift isn’t nearly the same. As the MVP consideration fades the full appreciation will hopefully be imprinted on the minds of true NBA fans for years to come. No one can deny the talent, but too many have (See Luol Deng for K.Bryant). Top ten player of all the time.

5. Dwayne Wade

Vitals- 25.6ppg//6.5rpg (Career High)//4.4apg//49%FG (Career High)

I was never impressed with Dwayne’s game until this year. He might be a little less freakishly talented than LBJ, but Wade is just as crucial to the success of the Heat. Even though his health again wasn’t optimal the entire year, D.Wade still managed to post a career high in Rpg. I used to fault him for his fearlessness, but now I realize he should be commended as the toughest player in the league. Wade is a bulldog in the lane. He achieved the full potential a player can reach without a consistent jump-shot. If he stays healthy through the second round of the playoffs, it should make every team in the East worry. Wade can single handedly foul out your starting frontline (See 8.6 FT per game).

Honorable Mention:

Kevin Durant
27.8ppg//6.9rpg//46%FG//36%3PTFG//88%FT

Kevin Love
20.3ppg//15.4rpg//47%FG//43%3PTFG//85%FT

Dirk Nowitzki
23.3ppg//6.9rpg//52%FG//40%3PTFG//89%FT

Amar’e Stoudemire
25.6ppg//8.4rpg//50%//1.9bpg

Carmelo Anthony
25.1ppg//45%FG//36%3PTFG//83%FT//7.2rpg

Rookie of the Year

1. Blake Griffin

Vitals- 22.4ppg//12.0rpg//50%FG

Even though I’m on the fence about considering him an actual rookie, I still have to give respect where it’s due. 56 double doubles in year one. 20 and 10 in year one. All this without a reliable jumper outside of five feet. Blake is Shawn Kemp 2.0 minus the drinking problem and addiction to females lying about birth control. He dunks on any and all opposing participants. No mercy. I think I even saw him cause Tiaggo Splitter to literally shart his pants on a missed dunk attempt. Oh yeah, ask Timofey Mozgov about the face full of ballsac he got five feet away from the basket. B.Griffin’s got a Kevin Garnett kind of love for the international guys. I just want five more years of this dude full healthy. That’s all I ask of the Basketball Gods.

2. John Wall

Vitals- 16.1ppg//8.6apg//4.5rpg//1.6spg

I bet it’s hard to stay focused when your most talented teammates are Nick Young and Andray Blatche. I’ll never forget how disappointed he looked being drafted #1 to such an incompetent franchise. JW is a walking quadruple double. He put up above average numbers as a 20 year old rookie getting by on nothing but sheer athleticism. Once J.Wall develops a consistent J there will be no way to contain him offensively. Unfortunately for the Wizards, he most likely won’t be a part of their organization by then.

3. DeMarcus Cousins

Vitals- 14.2ppg//8.7rpg//43%FG

My guy!!! Skepticism about his madness was proven so accurate Jay Bilas could be heard having an orgasm 50 miles outside of Bristol. Derrick Coleman similarities aside, Cousins can ball. When he plays well the Kings can actually dictate tempo in a game. He is one of the few big men on a faster learning curve than most of his 6’11” and taller peers. The Sixers, Nets, and T’Wolves all passed on this guy for lesser talent. In year 3, when the Kings are in Anaheim, Tyreke Evans is playing the 2-guard, and if he can keep his head straight, DeMarcus Cousins could be one of the best post players in the game.

Coach of the Year

1. Greg Popovich

San Antonio Spurs (57-16, Best record in NBA)

The best team in the league is having their best season since Timmy (!) was first drafted. Duncan is almost a corpse at this point. Yes I said it. I know the Spurs are hobbling into the playoffs, but the total and utter domination of the league over a four month stretch is nothing to be forgotten. Up until the last week or so, the Spurs were flattening people from every direction. Every player accepts the role given to them. How can they refuse when T.Duncan has willingly sacrificed points for wins? Pop’ needs to be mentioned as one of the best coaches ever. It is becoming painfully evident Popovich and Duncan were equally important factors to the four championships since 1999. All Bulls fans should take one statistic into consideration as well. Popovich and Duncan have never lost a Finals appearance.

1a. Thom Thibodeau

Chicago Bulls (53-19, Best record in Eastern Conference)

It dawned on me when watching the HBO documentary on UNLV that Thibodeau has adapted the same principles to his defensive philosophy which made UNLV one of the best lock down teams for a decade in the 80’s. Basically a high energy, every man is one, Amoeba style philosophy is what Thibodeau has beautifully sold his players on. They have without question bought in. Joakim Noah is perfect for this defense. Keight Bogans and Ronnie Brewer are on the Bulls roster solely because of this defense. D.Rose’s acceptance of this philosophy has catapulted the entire squad to the top of the defensive rankings. #2 in Opponents ppg (91.1), #1 in Opponents FG% (42%), #1 Opponents 3PT% (32%). Keep in mind, this is only year one of this philosophy. There will be more development, and better players brought in throughout the next 3 years. I hope the NBA is frightened at the prospect of the best PG, the best Defensive coach, and friendly salary cap flexibility all existing on one team.

2. Doug Collins

Philadelphia 76ers (37-36, 6th in East)

Somehow, and I truly mean it’s unexplainable, Doug Collins has coached the 76ers to the 6th seed in the East. Their leading scorer, Elton Brand (14.8ppg), isn’t even in the top 50. Their #2 overall draft pick is playing like he should’ve been drafted by the WNBA (7.1ppg, 4.0rpg, 2.0apg, 41%FG). The 76ers are 14-24 on the road. All this bad, yet somehow, Collins has pushed the exact right buttons to keep this team relevant. Maybe the answer is efficient passing. The 76ers rank 6th in assists per game (22.6). They are also only giving the ball up 13 times a game (tied for 4th). After inhaling that stat, keep in mind 6 players are averaging 10ppg or more. Only a coach commanding the epitome of respect can get away with that. I commend Collins greatly. This is his best coaching job.

3. George Karl

Denver Nuggets (44-29, 5th seed in Western Conference)

This guy could have let his team fold January or February when the Carmelo frenzy was at a ridiculous fever pitch. Instead he steadfastly maneuvered his ship through the most adverse of drama and speculation. Since stealing half the Knicks roster for Carmelo the Nuggets are 11-4, are the most efficient offensive team in the league (107.7ppg, 1st). They have an amazing 7 players averaging 10ppg or more, and are 30-7 at home. To me this is the deepest team in the league, and the most talented collection of players George Karl has seen since the Glove, the Reign man, D.Schrempf, and the interchangeable Hersey McMillan teams of the mid 90’s. Oh yeah, the guy is battling cancer as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 pm 

Damn I need an editor. Butchered Keith Bogans name. Used here instead of hear. Dammit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
literally....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
You're not helping out the theory that you're a mult of me or vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:09 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

His was readable.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

You spin your dialect more than me, if that makes any sense. I still find your writing coherent, I'm sure some disagree. Your reporting in the shake that thread is by far the funniest shit I've read on here since my disappearance.

Btw, what's good? Still recording? Just chilling?

All of us Hip hop heads need to stick together. Even if some of us on here still find Wu Tang relevant... Ahem RPB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: *
Jbi11s wrote:
Even if some of us on here still find Wu Tang relevant... Ahem RPB.

You must not have heard Shaolin vs Wu Tang

Ok, you can disappear now

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 am 

Free Ajent wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Even if some of us on here still find Wu Tang relevant... Ahem RPB.

You must not have heard Shaolin vs Wu Tang

Ok, you can disappear now

I'm good on a bunch of burnt out 40 year old broke rappers regurgitating the same rhyme schemes and tired content as they did 20 years ago. Wu Tang is a phase for most fans. They deserve respect, but there's plenty more quality hip hop out there. Seriously, coke rap is lame.

You do realize RZA was straight robbing everyone except GZA, Method Man, and Raekwon for years? Why the fuck would I give a shit about anything Wu Tang related? They are a dysfunctional mess of whiny bitches. I saw this dysfunction first hand in 2007 at the Rock the Bells in Chicago. They were pretty much bickering on stage,fucking up choruses right and left, jumping into the crowd fighting peeps for no real reason. It was annoying. The whole aura of Wu Tang being cool is so played out and non existent it makes me really wonder how Raekwon sold 29,000 his first week.

I guess it proves the theory, Wu Tang is much better on separate platforms. Otherwise they start acting like a bunch of dumb drunken whores.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
From about 1994 through 2008 I watched literally thousands of hours of basketball. I’m talking every Bulls game for the second three-peat. Every TNT game I could watch when they used to broadcast on both Tuesday and Thursday.

but you didn't have League Pass? FAIL

all points rendered invalid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Jmults.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 am 

When did the hackers let you use your computer again?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Bagels wrote:

ATDHE = winning!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 am 

Amare and Carmelo get honorable mentions for MVP :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
No John Salmons?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
No John Salmons?

He can't win it every year. Think of him as Jordan the year that Malone won it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Dwight Howard should be 1a when it comes to MVP.

Thibodeau should be 1, Doug Collins 2, and Popovich 3 for Coach of the Year. Thibodeau took a team that was thought to be around a 4 seed with 50 wins, and has turned them into a number one seed...and has turned the team into defensive studs (minus Boozer). Doug Collins took a very crappy team and got them around .500 and probably to the playoffs. Popovich took a team that was supposed to be good and kept them good. *one clap*...maybe *two claps*.

edit:

How about Omer Asik for Sixth Man of the Year?

You said Luol Deng is better than Carmelo. Um...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 am 
1000 CLUB

Dwight Howard is a bum. Trade him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
How about Omer Asik for Sixth Man of the Year?

If there was an award for guy who everyone thought would be terrible but ended up being serviceable, it would go to Omer Asik. If he didn't have hands of stone, I would be a much bigger fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am 

Bagels wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
From about 1994 through 2008 I watched literally thousands of hours of basketball. I’m talking every Bulls game for the second three-peat. Every TNT game I could watch when they used to broadcast on both Tuesday and Thursday.

all points rendered invalid

My parents were just barely middle class raising 4 kids and dealing with the death of my sister at an early age. Spending $200 a year for games I could watch highlights for and research on the internet wasn't really part of the game plan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 am 

J(alapenos) and Bills.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am 

spmack wrote:
J(alapenos) and Bills.

Here you guy man. I quoted you. Hope your happy with the attention. Too bad you don't provide any sports input on this board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:29 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
spmack wrote:
J(alapenos) and Bills.

Here you guy man. I quoted you. Hope your happy with the attention. Too bad you don't provide any sports input on this board.

Hey man I'm happy you're back and all, but I don't think anyone will confuse your "Season in Review" as good sports input.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am 

spmack wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
spmack wrote:
J(alapenos) and Bills.

Hey man I'm happy you're back and all, but I don't think anyone will confuse your "Season in Review" as good sports input.

So your posting in this thread because there is a gaping hollowness in your emotional makeup which prevents you from engaging grown adults in actual conversation. It's cool man. Probably a problem from your past. A bad parent, or bully type sibling. Lemme know when I get close. No normal person begs for negative attention like you do. It's definitely a frightening maladaptive issue.

I'm sure if you could find and maintain a physical relationship with an actual female you wouldn't be half as attention seeking. Keep trying. Maybe some girl will eventually take the drink with roofies in it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
You said Luol Deng is better than Carmelo. Um...

He is better for the Bulls. Yes. He is more efficient and fits the team much better.

Just admit you haven't watched more than 5 games of Western Conference basketball the last 7 years and I'll be cool with what you said.

Where is the template for Carmelo's 'efficiency' on the Bulls?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
So your posting in this thread because there is a gaping hollowness in your emotional makeup which prevents you from engaging grown adults in actual conversation. It's cool man. Probably a problem from your past. A bad parent, or bully type sibling. Lemme know when I get close. No normal person begs for negative attention like you do. It's definitely a frightening maladaptive issue.

I'm sure if you could find and maintain a physical relationship with an actual female you wouldn't be half as attention seeking. Keep trying. Maybe some girl will eventually take the drink with roofies in it.

spmack out coming in 5...4...3...2...

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
JBi11s is alright with me. :D

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am 

Nah, I'll just leave him alone, RFDC. I guess I struck a nerve with him or something, so I'll let him have his bad NBA thoughts in peace.

Carry on, JBills. :salut:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

I know everyone thinks I am basketball-retarded on this board, but FWIW, IMU17 has a point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am 

look at IMU, giving it to JBills :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am 

IMU is alright with me, especially after his revision.