It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 am 

Feels like a Jim Hendry deal.

Hours after Zach Randolph helped the Memphis Grizzlies win their first playoff game, the franchise rewarded him with a four-year, $71 million contract extension that was agreed to Saturday night, according to league sources.

Of the $71 million, $66 million is fully guaranteed and the fourth and final year of the deal is a player option, sources said. Randolph has incentives based on individual and team achievements of $1.3 million each season, according to sources.

Randolph, a 10th-year veteran, led the Grizzlies to a stunning 101-98 victory over the San Antonio Spurs Sunday afternoon. The 6-9 forward posted game-highs of 25 points and 14 rebounds as 8th-seeded Memphis dropped the Western Conference's top seed.

It was the Grizzlies' first playoff victory in 13 tries. They'd been swept in their three previous trips to the playoffs.

With the 29-year-old Randolph as a foundation piece, Memphis appears to be one of the league's most promising young squads. In addition to Randolph, who averaged team-highs of 20.1 points and 12.2 rebounds this season, the Grizzlies also signed Rudy Gay and Mike Conley to long-term deals within the past year.

Acquired prior to the 2009 season in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers, Randolph is in his second season with Memphis and has career averages of 17.6 points and 9.2 rebounds.

Randolph was drafted 19th overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in 2001. After six seasons with the Blazers, Randolph spent a little over a year with the New York Knicks followed by a year with the Clippers before landing in Memphis.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 am 

Randolph has been great since joining up with Memphis. It's nice to see he's really turned his career around after he looked mostly bad when he was with the Knicks and Clippers. The guy is a double-double machine, but this might be too much money to give to a player that will start to show some signs of aging soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I agree but they had to keep him. Small markets are forced to take bigger gambles and Conley, Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Mayo, Allen, Battier as a foundation is better than most teams.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
He's been a double double machine his entire career. His behavior seems to have changed or it isn't getting the same ink as it did in other markets.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm 

HOVA wrote:
He's been a double double machine his entire career. His behavior seems to have changed or it isn't getting the same ink as it did in other markets.

The key is has his behavior changed because he is growing up or is it because he was trying to get paid? If its do to him growing up I still thinks its a lot of money, but not an awful deal. If it was just him putting on an act to get paid, then thins should get interesting. The problem with the NBA that is leading to this lockout is nonstar players making 12-15 million a year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I dont know, I've been to Memphis, it's not that interesting of a city. Good place to work on your game if you're making 8 digits.

To rock my soul