It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rick Adelman Gone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:37 am 

I don't understand this move at all. This guy has gotten everything out of a roster that has been consitently injured for four seasons. If there is anyone to blame for the bad playoff showings, it should be Yao and T-Mac. Adelman did a better job there than just about anyone could have.

Post subject: Re: Rick Adelman Gone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Some team is going to get a pretty decent coach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Douchebag wrote:
I don't understand this move at all. This guy has gotten everything out of a roster that has been consitently injured for four seasons. If there is anyone to blame for the bad playoff showings, it should be Yao and T-Mac. Adelman did a better job there than just about anyone could have.

I don't understand it either. He's a good coach. Houston could be lottery bound the next 5 years. Maybe that had something to with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 am 

I apologize for turning into the Jimmy Reardon of NBA articles, but this is the last one I will post today:

Are NBA GM's really this stupid? Did they just ignore McHale's entire run in Minnesota?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote:
Report: Kevin McHale to talk to Rockets

Kevin McHale will join a long list of cadidates interviewing for the Houston Rockets coaching job, Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday.

A Hall of Famer as a player, McHale coached the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2005 and from 2008-09. He also served as the team's general manager.

Former Rockets guard Sam Cassell, as well as former Oklahoma and Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson, will also interview, KRIV-TV in Houston reported Tuesday.

The Rockets requested permission to interview Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey, sources close told ESPN.com's Marc Stein last Thursday.

The Houston Chronicle reported in Thursday's editions that the Rockets already have established contact with two other high-profile available coaches -- Mike Woodson and former Cavaliers coach/current ESPN NBA analyst Mike Brown -- and have interviews scheduled next week with former Mavericks assistant Mario Elie (now with Sacramento) and current Rockets assistant Jack Sikma.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets will not rush their search, however, to allow for the possibility that candidates not currently available -- such as Orlando's Stan Van Gundy -- could suddenly hit the market as Adelman did, depending on what happens in the playoffs.

Other assistants whose teams are still in the playoffs, such as Boston's Lawrence Frank and San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, also are expected to draw interest from the Rockets.

The Chronicle reported that Houston also has interest in longtime Lakers assistant Brian Shaw if Shaw is not chosen by Los Angeles to replace the outgoing Phil Jackson.

The Rockets announced April 18 that they had "mutually agreed to part ways" with Rick Adelman, whose contract expires in June.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Maybe Isiah Thomas can become the Rockets GM while they're at it. As a wise man once told me, if you're going to fuck up you might as well do it right!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
knicks would be smart to dump d'antoni and hire adelman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
312player wrote:
knicks would be smart to dump d'antoni and hire adelman

Mike D'Antoni might be in big trouble after the Knicks got swept by the Celtics 4 and out in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. I'm not sure if Rick Adelman's even what the Knicks are looking for in a new head coach if D'Antoni is launched.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
i don't see how d'antoni can keep his job

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Well, the Golden State Warriors are looking for a new head coach...again! Keith Smart, we hardly knew ye...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
DB, don't apologize for posting good stuff. Some team in need of a real coach is gonna get one. You listening Donald Sterling? Didn't think so. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:17 am 

Now, the Lakers are eyeing Adelman and also Mike Dunlevey... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are NBA GM's this stupid? The fact that McHale and Dunlevey are up for more coaching jobs is just mind boggling.

Quote:
Source: Lakers eye Mike Dunleavy

The Los Angeles Lakers have had to replace two coaching legends in the last 20 years: Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. The only time it's worked out well, the team turned to Mike Dunleavy. They're thinking of doing the same again this time.

Dunleavy was contacted by the team this week and is said to be on the team's current "short list" to succeed Jackson, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

That list also includes former Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman, who ESPN.com's Marc Stein and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin reported Thursday also would be a candidate for the position.

Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw has the public endorsement of Kobe Bryant and is regarded as by far the strongest in-house candidate. But a league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that Bryant would support the hiring of Adelman if the team decided to go in that direction.

The Lakers have scheduled interviews with Shaw and fellow Lakers assistant Chuck Person, sources told Bucher.

Dunleavy is currently awaiting judgment in his arbitration hearing with the Los Angeles Clippers, who stopped paying the balance of his contract after they fired him as general manager last year. Dunleavy earlier had resigned as coach after going 215-326 with the Clippers.

Though his recent history with the Clippers was unsuccessful, Dunleavy is still viewed as a strong tactician with an impressive history of postseason success. He was the NBA Coach of the Year in 1999 with the Portland Trail Blazers.

The Lakers have always thought fondly of the job he did in replacing Riley in 1990, leading the team to an upset over the Trail Blazers in the 1991 Western Conference finals before losing to Jackson's Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals.

Dunleavy has maintained a friendship with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and his son, Jim Buss. As recently as last year, he watched Lakers games with Buss from his suite at Staples Center.

He also has a long history with Bryant, whom he courted and nearly convinced to join the Clippers as a free agent in 2004.

Dunleavy is the winningest and was the highest-paid coach in Clippers history. He took the franchise to within one win of the Western Conference finals in 2006.

Dunleavy has a career record of 613-716 as a head coach with the Lakers, Milwaukee, Portland and the Clippers. Besides the 1990-91 run with the Lakers, he came within one game of the 2000 Finals with the Trail Blazers before a fourth-quarter collapse in Game 7 propelled Shaquille O'Neal and Bryant to their first of three championships together with the Lakers.

The team's decision-making chain of command when it comes to choosing Jackson's replacement is Jim Buss, Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak, ESPN.com's J.A. Adande reported after the Lakers were swept by Dallas Sunday.

"In that order," one source told Adande.

In his postseason sitdown with reporters Wednesday, Kupchak said: "We'd like to be deliberate. In Los Angeles, typically we hire coaches and they stick with us for a long time and hopefully win championships. So we'll take our time in making that decision."

Lakers co-captain Derek Fisher and veteran forward Luke Walton have joined Bryant in registering support for Shaw, but it remains to be seen if the Busses are prepared to replace the most successful coach in history with a first-time NBA head coach.

Shaw previously has been given permission to interview for the Rockets vacancy. League sources told Bucher that Shaw and Person have been granted permission to interview for the Golden State Warriors position.

Adelman, 64, has never won a championship and is best remembered in Lakerland as coach of the Sacramento team that took a 3-2 series lead over L.A. in the heated and controversial 2002 Western Conference finals before the Kings lost in seven games.

But his reputation as a players' coach with a pleasing-to-the-eye offense would appear to make him a better fit than other top veteran coaches available -- such as Jeff Van Gundy, Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown -- because of the Buss family's well-known fondness for entertaining basketball.

In four seasons with the injury-plagued Rockets, Adelman posted a record of 193-135 for a .588 winning percentage and helped Houston extend the Lakers to seven games in the second round of the 2009 playoffs despite the absence of Yao Ming for most of the series.

Adelman's career record is 945-616, which puts him eighth in all-time victories and includes two trips to the NBA Finals with Portland, as well as one unsuccessful stint with Golden State between his jobs with the Blazers and Kings.