It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is no good reason for it to be as secretive as it is besides the "luck" that seems to put Howard in Orlando after they lost Shaq

That was like 8 years after Shaq left....

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is no good reason for it to be as secretive as it is besides the "luck" that seems to put Howard in Orlando after they lost Shaq

I know. What is your point?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why would the NBA wait 8 years to help land Orlando another star Center?

Why not rig it in 98 so they could have gotten Michael Olakowandi (sp?)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 pm 

Ask David Stern.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:17 pm 

That's like saying the NBA rigged the lottery for the Bucks to get Andrew Bogut because Lew Alcindor left 30 years before that.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
That's like saying the NBA rigged the lottery for the Bucks to get Andrew Bogut because Lew Alcindor left 30 years before that.
Howard was probably the biggest can't miss NBA big guy since Shaq. You could tell he was going to be a dominating player like Shaq. The only knock on him was his "intensity".

Bogut and Olowakandi do not compare.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The point is that this is another example of you trying to stretch anything to make it fit this was 8 years later and alot of experts thought emeka was the much better pick. Orlando was actually ripped for taking dwight at the time by many this was nowhere close to lebron or ewing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The point is that this is another example of you trying to stretch anything to make it fit this was 8 years later and alot of experts thought emeka was the much better pick. Orlando was actually ripped for taking dwight at the time by many this was nowhere close to lebron or ewing.
It's simply another example of the "luck" that is associated with this process which is intentionally secretive. I don't know why you and douchebag seem to be taking it as I'm saying "Dwight Howard to the Magic means the NBA draft is fixed!". I'm not. I'm saying that the best big man prospect since Shaq just so happened to make it to a team currently watching a former player have a hall of fame career. I brought up 3 other examples but for whatever reason those were ignored.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
In being consistent with my caricature, I totally believe that the NBA draft lottery is rigged. 25 years ago that envelope was bent weighted or SOMETHING so when David Stern reached in the spinner thingy the RIGHT franchise was set up with being relevant for the next ~15 years.

Nowadays, it's all done with some law firm overlooking the results, and I don't think they even show the drawings anymore... they've turned it into a primetime spectacle where they bring out widows and leper children to provide a built-in feelgood story for the winning franchises.

It's been a long-standing concept that the NBA likes to punish teams that finish dead last because they want these teams to know that a February game between teams with .400 winning percentages MEANS something, cuz staying out of the gutter is the key to getting "rewarded" with the #1 pick. Sometimes they'll outright build franchises like they did by setting up Charlotte in the early 90s (I think in a 3 year window they had two #1 picks and a #2 pick, resulting in Kendall Gill, Larry Johnson, and Alonzo Mourning) and Cleveland in 2003 (Lebron) and then the biggest thank-you of all time, Derrick Rose to the Bulls in 2008. The NBA had a small window to take a team in NBA hell and put it over the top by allowing it to get a bonafide franchise player when it looked like they'd be mired in relative suck for another decade, and suffice to say I'm quite pleased with the results, especially when you consider that I have to confess I was a Beasley guy in 2008.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:05 pm 

Rick I just am assuming you are typing faster than you're processing things. Why are you trying to say Dwight was a better prospect than Duncan? Many didn't think he was a better prospect than emeka

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 pm 

The Twolves have never had a first round pick from the lottery ever.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Mini Ditka wrote:
The Twolves have never had a first round pick from the lottery ever.
Ummm....

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Rick I just am assuming you are typing faster than you're processing things. Why are you trying to say Dwight was a better prospect than Duncan? Many didn't think he was a better prospect than emeka
Duncan was probably better too. That still doesn't change the point.

You can stop saying that many didn't think he was a better prospect than Emeka. That's true of virtually every #1 pick. Even Lebron had a few people say that Carmelo may be the better choice. Go read the draft profiles of Howard. Most of them say he's a potential superstar and has by far the highest upside. Most of the Emeka stuff comes from a win now strategy with McGrady.

Anyways, Howard to the Magic was only a small part of the original statement. The NBA draft is filled with "lucky bounces". This was one of them. State lotteries can show the results live on television but the NBA can't figure out how to make the results free of any chance of impropriety.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:36 am 

Noone semi intelligent was suggesting not taking lebron. Many scouts said he would've gone over Yao the year before that as a junior in hs

There was considerable more risk to the dwight pick

There's no real reason to believe it's rigged

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Noone semi intelligent was suggesting not taking lebron. Many scouts said he would've gone over Yao the year before that as a junior in hs
You are having a hard time understanding my points in this thread or you are choosing to ignore most of it.

FavreFan wrote:
There's no real reason to believe it's rigged
:lol: No reason? There are multiple reasons to believe it. If it's not good enough for you that's fine. However, there is some smoke there.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Not sure if theyre intelligent. But after Carmello went thru March Madness I remember a lot of ESPN talking heads debating it and some were leaning toward Carmello.

How could there be a real reason, short of the NBA getting caught or admitting it?

They certainly dont help things with the secrecy.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 am 

Show us the birth certificate!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 am 

Douchebag wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not sure if theyre intelligent. But after Carmello went thru March Madness I remember a lot of ESPN talking heads debating it and some were leaning toward Carmello.

How could there be a real reason, short of the NBA getting caught or admitting it?

They certainly dont help things with the secrecy.

After the tournament some idiots like skip bayless said stuff like that. But all the scouts agreed that as a prospect they weren't even comparable really

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: