It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:57 pm 

Duh

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/91027/inept-timberwolves-gm-david-kahn-implies-nba-draft-lottery-was-rigged/

There has always been an uneasy air that surrounds the NBA draft lottery. Since the mid-80s when the Knicks miraculously got the opportunity to draft Patrick Ewing the integrity of the lottery has come into question. Since then, whenever a team lands the No.1 pick in the draft against strong odds people are quick to cry foul and suspect a conspiracy. These people are nothing more than sore losers–the type of people who buy the most 50/50 tickets and flip a shit when their number isn’t called. David Kahn, the general manager for the Minnesota Timberwolves, is one of those people.

The NBA draft lottery is a weird, tension-packed half hour of television, broadcasted near the North Jersey swamps in the blue-collar town of Secaucus, NJ. Thirteen representatives from teams that didn’t make the playoffs sit around awkwardly, as they nervously await their fates, which rest on a ping-pong ball.

It’s similar to how Yolanda Vega interrupts Wheel of Fortune every night to disappoint millions of New Yorkers with the lotto numbers. Except it only happens once a year and the winner gets to give an 18- or 19-year-old millions of dollars.

The lottery is a nerve-racking game of pure luck over which franchises have no control. So many of the teams’ representatives at the event are viewed as a lucky rabbit foot. Team general managers, presidents, coaches, and players sit stoically, with fingers crossed, hoping that their squad’s name is called last. Twelve teams leave disappointed.

Last night the Cleveland Cavaliers, a team, city and fanbase that has suffered an immeasurable amount of pain and heartache over the years won the NBA lottery and will draft No.1 in the 2011 draft. The Cavs have two picks in the top 5 (one and four) translating a pick they received from the LA Clippers in a trade into the number one overall selection. The odds of this scenario playing out were a minuscule 2.8 percent.

But the star of last night’s draft lottery wasn’t the NBA, Cavaliers, or the City of Cleveland. It was owner Dan Gilbert’s 14-year-old son and “hero,” Nick, who served as the Cavs representative and lucky rabbit’s foot. Nick Gilbert, sporting a bow tie and thick black-framed glasses, was born with a rare nerve disorder known as Neurofibromatosis. The disease causes the frequent and unpredictable growth of tumors in his small frame.

But when Nick was interviewed he appeared to be strong, optimistic, and the owner of a good sense of humor. When the final three picks were being announced Nick was roughly half the size of Timberwolves GM David Kahn and Utah Jazz GM Kevin O’Connor. It was a pleasant surprise when the little guy won.

But Kahn, whose Timberwolves won the No. 2 pick, wasn’t very gracious in his post-lottery remarks.

“This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines,” Kahn said, while smiling, on Tuesday. “Last year it was Abe Pollin’s widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told (Utah executive) Kevin (O’Connor): ‘We’re toast.’ This is not happening for us, and I was right.”

It appears as though Kahn implies that NBA Commissioner, David Stern, rigged the lottery in an effort to create a storyline over the course of the past two seasons. Even if the comment was said in jest, it remains classless and idiotic. In fact, it’s almost as stupid as drafting two point guards with the No. 5 and 6 picks in the draft, which Kahn did by drafting Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn in 2009. Rubio is still in Spain and Flynn averaged 5 points per game in an injury-plagued ’10-11 season.

Kahn has made some notoriously poor draft decisions in his two seasons as general manger of the Timberwolves. With four first-round picks in 2009, he drafted three point guards and a shooting guard, the most productive of which, Ty Lawson, he traded on draft day for Darko Milicic, a player who is best known for being picked in front of Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh.

If Kahn wants to blame the NBA, Abe Pollin’s widow, and a 14-year-old kid for not getting the No.1 pick the past two years then so be it–it only makes him look like a complete asshole. But after failing to draft a player who can even average a meager 10 points per game in a season and after having seven first round picks in the past two years, he looks like a completely inept asshole.
[AP via Yahoo]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
David Stern made him take Johnny Flynn and a PG from Europe that will never play in Minnesota?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I heard those David Kahn remarks this morning on "The Dan Patrick Show". This from a guy who drafted Ricky Rubio a few years ago and likely will never play for the Minnesota Timberwolves. This crybaby will get a phone call from the NBA office for those remarks and likely will be fined a lot of money.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
David Stern made him take Johnny Flynn and a PG from Europe that will never play in Minnesota?

Exactly.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:02 pm 

Bad Minnesota drafting aside...The lottery is definitely rigged.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:04 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Thank God for rigging, it gave us Derrick Rose.

Rigging my ass! The Bulls had only a 1.8% chance to land the #1 pick and D.Rose 2 years ago!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:

Yeah I am fine with it. They should rig more sports for big markets. Who the hell wants to watch basketball in Minnesota and Sacramento anyways.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Rigging my ass!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If I didn't love the sig I have so much now I would have a new one. God Bless SHARK.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Bad Minnesota drafting aside...The lottery is definitely rigged.

I don't think they wanted Duncan in SA over Boston. Or durant and oden in okc/Portland. I don't think it's rigged but i see why conspiracy theorists would

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
It's not rigged. That's just the cool thing to say...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:16 pm 

Frozen envelopes.

/thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:

That and all the evidence.

Its not rigged every year

Just when Stern deems it appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:19 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

evidence?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

evidence?

The insane longshots coming thru?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm 

:lol: really? So when a fav wins it's cool but an underdog wins it's rigged

I want my $4 back now that i know the Kentucky derby was rigged

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm 

That's not evidence. Shit happens...

I thought maybe someone broke some story some where. Everybody seriously thinks it's rigged becasue something occurs with improbable odds? Really?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
That's not evidence. Shit happens...

I thought maybe someone broke some story some where. Everybody seriously thinks it's rigged becasue something occurs with improbable odds? Really?

http://www.scoresreport.com/2007/04/19/was-the-1985-draft-lottery-really-fixed/

Its not just underdogs. Its HUGE underdogs who happen to be cities the NBA wants to do well.

But that link shows some interesting stuff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:30 pm 

It all stems from stern'a infamous pause and the frozen envelope

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

As conspiricies go, this one is more believable than most

The Donaghy stuff also doesnt help.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:33 pm 

I thought it was called the NBA Draft Lottery for a reason...Why doesn't David Kahn investigate how the Magic won back-to-back Draft Lotterys in 1992 & 1993 when they turned out to be Shaquille O'Neal & Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway...It's the luck of the draw!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I want proof. Give Linda Kohlmeier (sp) and her powerball wheel the job and let us watch as the balls drop. Not sure why it has to be done in some shroud of secrecy.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm 

SHARK wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:

Rigging my ass! The Bulls had only a 1.8% chance to land the #1 pick and D.Rose 2 years ago!

SHARK, your comment supports the fact that its rigged.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

As conspiricies go, this one is more believable than most

The Donaghy stuff also doesnt help.

I don't think so because keeping in mind there's no proof of freezing and the real only evidence is a slight pause. Plus less than 60 seconds on google and you'll find plenty of very well written articles debunking this

My biggest problem is that there was absolutely no need for it at the time. This wasn't the early 2000's or late 70's. You could argue the league was never in a better spot than 84. This would have been too dumb and risky a move at a time when the league was already in in the midst of it's biggest boom in history

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
My biggest problem is that there was absolutely no need for it at the time. This wasn't the early 2000's or late 70's. You could argue the league was never in a better spot than 84. This would have been too dumb and risky a move at a time when the league was already in in the midst of it's biggest boom in history

Maybe the Knicks needed it.

And the Knicks being good is vital to the success of the league according to Stern.

Im not saying Im certain it was rigged, but like I said, it ranks pretty high on the believable conspiracy list

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:02 pm 

Yes but im sure you know he's clarified those comments 100 times since then. And in th middle la/Boston at it's epicenter of bird and magic Michael clearly about to be something. A year or two removed from one of the coolest teams ever (fo, fo, fo). Pretty big presences in big cities everywhere? And didn't ny already have Bernard? I dont remember that or not

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Yes but im sure you know he's clarified those comments 100 times since then. And in th middle la/Boston at it's epicenter of bird and magic Michael clearly about to be something. A year or two removed from one of the coolest teams ever (fo, fo, fo). Pretty big presences in big cities everywhere? And didn't ny already have Bernard? I dont remember that or not

Do you believe Lakers Kings Game 6 was fixed?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm 

That's possible but if it was fixed I dont think it was an official come from the top order. The league was struggling 10x more in 2002 than in 1985 though

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
The draft lottery being rigged is just further proof that the NBA is more scripted than the WWE. The fact that the refs are as bad as they are, and have more control over a game than those in any other sport is just more evidence.

I know it's sacrilige to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if Miami won the series against the Boo with a bunch of questionable calls deciding the outcome.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

That wouldn't make sense. Rose is as big a star as anyone and much younger naps minna much bigger city with a much larger fanbase and market. Not to mention chuck Norris couldn't stop rose and thibs right now

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

Of course it's rigged. There are easy ways in which the process could be done in public by a trusted third party similar to a game show. There is no good reason for it to be as secretive as it is besides the "luck" that seems to put Howard in Orlando after they lost Shaq, Ewing with the Knicks, Lebron to the home town team, Rose to the Bulls, and the other "lucky bounces".

As the irritable boyd pointed out, this league is known for this type of "manipulation".