It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NBA Coaching News
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Mark Jackson to coach Warriors

Quote:
Former NBA player and current ESPN analyst Mark Jackson has been named the new head coach of the Golden State Warriors.

"After an extensive search and a great deal of consideration, we have come to the conclusion that Mark Jackson is the best coach for this team," Warriors general manager Larry Riley said. "He will bring a youthful and fresh approach to our team and the fact that he enjoyed a stellar playing career, where he served most of that time as the leader of some very successful teams, will prove invaluable in the long run."

Jackson has never coached before but played under five Hall of Fame coaches during his collegiate and professional career.

"We were looking for a coach with leadership ability and a strong personality and believe Mark possesses those qualities," Riley said. "He's very well respected in NBA circles, is a consummate professional and his knowledge and background will be an incredible asset for our team and organization."

Under new owner Joe Lacob, the Warriors have worked to upgrade their management this offseason, following a 36-46 campaign -- the team's 15th losing season over the last 17 years. Golden State recently added NBA legend Jerry West to the team's front office as an adviser and now bring in Jackson.

"I am really elated about this opportunity and I'm looking forward to the challenge of building the Warriors into a perennial contender," Jackson said.

Jackson, who was named the NBA's Rookie of the Year following the 1987-88 season, ranks third on the all-time assists list behind John Stockton and Jason Kidd with 10,334 assists.

Jackson played for seven different teams and averaged 9.6 points and 8 assists over his 17-year NBA career and will take over in Golden State at the conclusion of the NBA Finals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6632935

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The Golden State Warriors appear to be taking a chance with Mark Jackson as their new head coach. Although he played 17 years in the league before becoming ESPN/ABC's lead NBA analyst, Jackson's going to have his work cut out for him trying to turn the Warriors into a playoff team in the rugged, top-heavy Western Conference. The man Jackson replaces, Keith Smart, may have coached the Warriors to a 10-win improvement in his first season as head coach, but it wasn't enough to keep his job out there. I think he's been itching to get into coaching for quite sometime, but I wonder if he'll end up re-joining Mike Breen & Jeff Van Gundy at courtside if things don't work out for Jackson. I've got to think despite a new management team in Oakland, the Warriors' job has to be one of the worst coaching jobs in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 pm 

SHARK wrote:
The man Jackson replaces, Keith Smart

More like Keith "Not So" Smart.

Amirite?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm 

I am interested in seeing how Jackson does at GS. I have always thought he would make a good head coach.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Amirite?!?

*sky-point*

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
RFDC wrote:
I am interested in seeing how Jackson does at GS. I have always thought he would make a good head coach.

He seems to know the game. I think he'll preach defense, which would be a bit of a problem for Monta Ellis. I could easily see them butting heads.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He seems to know the game. I think he'll preach defense, which would be a bit of a problem for Monta Ellis. I could easily see them butting heads.

Was just reading that there are rumors of a Monta Ellis trade to the 76ers for Iguodola.

Ellis would probably cause Doug Collins to have a heart attack

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Amirite?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't it the truth!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:45 pm 

Dwane Casey was supposedly on the short list to coach the Bulls, before they settled on Vinny Del Negro 3 years ago and Tom Thibodeau this past season. I'm not sure the Toronto Raptors have much to work with.

There could still be an NBA head coach opening. Kurt Rambis still hasn't been told if he will continue to head coach the Minnesota Timberwolves, and is said to be growing frustrated that management up there hasn't given him a straight answer regarding his future at Target Center.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 pm 

Rambis is gone. Not sure why they waited until draft week to make this decision. I was hoping they would include him in a package to the Lakers for Gasol.

Quote:
Kurt Rambis on way out from Wolves?

The Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to fire coach Kurt Rambis, Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday night, citing league sources.

The Wolves will not officially part ways with Rambis until after Thursday's NBA draft, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

Wolves general manager David Kahn didn't return messages left by The Associated Press, and a team spokesman said, "We're not going to comment on speculation."

A source close to Rambis told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that news of Rambis' firing is not true.

The Wolves have the No. 2 pick in the draft. Minnesota is still considering a number of trade options but hasn't decided yet and still is debating whether to draft Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter at No. 2, assuming Kyrie Irving goes No. 1 to Cleveland, sources told Katz.

Kahn and Rambis met for six hours last week, with Kahn asking his coach what he would change after posting a 32-132 record in two seasons. Rambis has two years left on his contract.

Minnesota is gathering information on University of Washington coach Lorenzo Romar as a candidate to replace Rambis, Yahoo! reported, but Romar said in a text message to ESPN he was unaware that he was being vetted and no deal is imminent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Makers of rec specs in St. Paul are upset by this news

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:13 pm 

It's been well documented L.A. Clippers' owner Don Sterling has been among the worst owners in pro sports, but what the Minnesota Timberwolves did with Kurt Rambis is very unprofessional and classless. In short, Rambis got a raw deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The only way to salvage this mess for Minnesota is for them to draft Kyrie Irving, have David Kahn step in as head coach, and trade for Tony Parker

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The only way to salvage this mess for Minnesota is for them to draft Kyrie Irving, have David Kahn step in as head coach, and trade for Tony Parker

Tony Parker could be Portland-bound, Favre Fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 pm 

SHARK wrote:
It's been well documented L.A. Clippers' owner Don Sterling has been among the worst owners in pro sports, but what the Minnesota Timberwolves did with Kurt Rambis is very unprofessional and classless. In short, Rambis got a raw deal.

How did Rambis get a raw deal? He was terrible in Minnesota.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:

He literally got a raw deal. He was given the option of staying and coaching or a giant box of steaks. He chose the raw meat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm 

The reason why Kurt Rambis got a raw deal is that the Minnesota Timberwolves let him twist in the wind for 2 months...AFTER THE SEASON had ended. Forget the fact the T-Wolves had the NBA's worst record. If Rambis wasn't wanted back for another season, the T-Wolves should have sent him packing right after Minnesota's final game, not on the night of the NBA Draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
SHARK wrote:

He literally got a raw deal. He was given the option of staying and coaching or a giant box of steaks. He chose the raw meat.

Looking at the T'Wolves roster, he made the right choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm 

Quote:
Sources: Pacers to promote Frank Vogel

The Indiana Pacers have scheduled a news conference for Wednesday to announce Frank Vogel's promotion to full-time coach, according to NBA coaching sources.

The long-anticipated move, which will be announced by Pacers president Larry Bird six days into the NBA's first work stoppage since the summer of 1998, leaves the Detroit Pistons as the only team in the league without a coach.

Vogel emerged as the favorite to land the Pacers' job in April, after replacing Jim O'Brien in January and leading the Pacers to their first playoff berth since 2006 as interim coach.

The Indianapolis Star reported two weeks ago that former Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw has agreed to serve as the Pacers' associate head coach, signaling that Vogel's formal appointment was imminent.

"He's going to get every opportunity to have this job," Bird said of Vogel in early June. "What we're doing now is just going through the process. Hopefully it won't take more than a week or two."

After breaking into the league as a video coordinator with the Boston Celtics under Rick Pitino, Vogel worked for the Philadelphia 76ers, the Lakers and the Washington Wizards before joining the Pacers as an assistant under O'Brien. Vogel posted a record of 20-18 over the final 38 games to help the Pacers clinch the No. 8 seed in the East before a five-game exit to Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

The Pistons, meanwhile, have five known candidates for their opening. Former NBA coaches Mike Woodson and Lawrence Frank have interviewed for the job, as have current NBA assistants Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer and Patrick Ewing.

Yahoo! Sports reported on the eve of the NBA draft that the Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to fire Kurt Rambis after two seasons. But no definitive declaration about Rambis' status has been announced by the Wolves.

Pacers are in a good position. They've got Brian Shaw waiting in the wings if the Vogel move backfires. I'm surprised Shaw would move to Indiana to only be an assistant though. Vogel most likely has an extremely short leash if they waited this long to give him the job, and they have a future head coach waiting in the wings...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

Rambis now officially out in Minnesota. There's talk of them interviewing Bernie Bickerstaff. Measurements of Championship banners are also being done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Rambis now officially out in Minnesota. There's talk of them interviewing Bernie Bickerstaff. Measurements of Championship banners are also being done.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That franchise in Minnesota is an absolute joke.