It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBA Coaching News
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:40 am 

Mike Brown is a finalist for the Lakers gig. This upcoming season is going to be fun-bad for LA.

Post any other coaching news here.

Post subject: Re: NBA Coaching News
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 am 

Who else is a finalist?

They should just let Vinny coach both LA teams.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 am 

RFDC wrote:
Who else is a finalist?

They should just let Vinny coach both LA teams.

There's been talk of Adelman, which I think would be a good fit. He's been around a long time and can manage some of the challenges a coach would have to deal with this team. And he did a pretty good job with Artest in Houston.

Brian Shaw was another front-runner and a guy I thought the franchise could build a new team around. Maybe he is a coach of the future for the team, but how long can he stay in an assistant role? He's probably going to bolt somewhere else if he doesn't get the job in LA.

I just think it's going to be a circus with Mike Brown running the show.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Something tells me that Brian Shaw is ready. He was practically a coach for his last 3 years as a player and he's gotten a lot of experience as an assistant. The guy knows the game.

The Al Roker-looking Mike Brown as a coach of any NBA team = :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 am 

I also don't understand why Frank Vogel hasn't been given the job yet in Indiana. The team responded after they shit-canned O'Brien, and he got every possible ounce of effort out of that team in the playoffs. What else could that franchise possibly want? They have a decent young team, and some money to spend this off-season. Keeping Vogel around seems like a no-brainer. And he would come cheap.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Agreed on Vogel, I can't figure that out either

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:59 am 

Will Mike Brown even make it a year in LA? There is no way they can keep Brian Shaw on staff, though I doubt he would stay after being passed over anyways.

Superstars are used to being consulted.
Report: Kobe Bryant “surprised” by Mike Brown hiring

Kurt Helin

May 25, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT

So the report of Kobe Bryant’s reaction to the Lakers being on the verge of hiring former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated, says a lot about how this decision was made. And maybe about how it will be received in the locker room.

The source close to the Lakers told SI.com that Lakers star Kobe Bryant was “surprised” by the news, and that he was not a part of the decision-making process. Bryant had been a staunch supporter of Lakers assistant Brian Shaw for the position and remains as such.

We should note that saying Kobe is surprised is different than saying he is unhappy with the decision. How he buys in will go a long way to determining Brown’s success.

Shaw represented the Lakers continuing with a similar style — of offense, of coaching — that they had under Phil Jackson.

Jim Buss and the Lakers brass clearly wanted a change in that. Brown is a big shift, an attempt to change the direction of the ship.

The question is how well that will work.

The Lakers don’t really need an Xs and Os guru — they have a lot of high basketball IQ players with Kobe, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derrick Fisher, Andrew Bynum and on down the line. They have guys who know how to play, whatever the system.

What Jackson was able to do brilliantly was get those guys to play as a unit, to sacrifice, to win together. (Up until this season, when fatigue of mind, body and the message wore them down.) Can Mike Brown do that? He can bring in energy and push a defense-first agenda, but can he get them to bond and play as a unit the way Jackson has done (and did in Chicago before)?

That is the real question and the real risk with this hire.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 pm 

:lol: From Phil to Mike Brown. Wow, Kobe has to be PISSED

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 pm 

This is kinda like the Sandberg manager story with the Cubs.

Phil = Lou
Shaw = Sandberg
Mike Brown = Quade
Kobe = Scorehead
Bynum = Milton Bradley
Artest = Ronnie Woo Woo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I'm kinda puzzled by the reported hiring of Mike Brown by the L.A. Lakers. I was under the impression that their "coach in waiting" was Brian Shaw. Why he was passed over and given permission to talk with Golden State about their own vacancy, I don't get it...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 pm 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: From Phil to Mike Brown. Wow, Kobe has to be PISSED

That was my initial reaction. I'm sort of in a giggly mood anyway, but this is amusing as hell

Whoever wrote that article was about as nice to Mike Brown as it could be. Mike brown is a horrendously bad coach.

I still can't stop laughing

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 pm 

This is the same Mike Brown who coached LeBron's Cavaliers a year ago to the top record in the NBA and got sent packing by the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. It's my understanding that Brown's going to be paid a fraction what Phil Jackson made last year with the Lakers, and I think they wanted to hire someone who wasn't going to cost them a lot of money. Kinda like what Uncle Jerry's paying Tom Thibodeau to coach the Bulls.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm 

Didnt Kobe supposedly have an issue with Rudy T whether it was respect, philosophical, etc?

But mike brown is walking in that door with Kobe's respect, deference, etc?

Still laughing

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Didnt Kobe supposedly have an issue with Rudy T whether it was respect, philosophical, etc?

But mike brown is walking in that door with Kobe's respect, deference, etc?

Still laughing

Rudy Tomjonovich...I wonder what he's up to these days after his Lakers' coaching job didn't last that long.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm 

I hope this all eventually leads to Kobe pulling a Bizarro Vince Carter in Toronto situation.

Bizzarro in that this time fans, fellow players, coaches, analysts, some owners, Phil Jackson, all come out in unified support of Kobe. "Yeah bro we've had our ups and downs but they didn't need to do this to you"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:02 pm 

Well it somehow happened. NBA GM's have proved to be even dumber than I originally thought they were. First Mike Brown in LA, now McHale in Houston..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Report: Kevin McHale to coach Rockets

The Houston Rockets have reached agreement on a contract for Kevin McHale to become their new coach, Yahoo! Sports is reporting.

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher confirmed Friday that McHale had been offered the job. The Associated Press reported the Rockets and McHale were still in negotiations, citing a source familiar with the situation.

After interviewing numerous coaches in their search to replace Rick Adelman, the Rockets narrowed their focus to McHale, who worked as an analyst for TNT this season, Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank and Dallas Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey, according to sources.

McHale, formerly the Minnesota Timberwolves' general manager, was 39-55 in two stints as the Wolves' interim coach. He was 19-12 after taking over for Flip Saunders in the 2004-05 season and posted a 20-43 mark after replacing Randy Wittman for the final 63 games in the 2008-09 season.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Only in America...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
How does Simmons handle this? His boy Morey and McHale combining forces...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: the only thing funnier is Simmons tweets. He's liked and works well with big guys. Yeah true but so what, that describes bill Cartwright. Mchale has sucked horribly at every position he's done relative to the NBA except player

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
FavreFan wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: the only thing funnier is Simmons tweets. He's liked and works well with big guys. Yeah true but so what, that describes bill Cartwright. Mchale has sucked horribly at every position he's done relative to the NBA except player

Yeah I just read the tweets. Blinded by old Celtics memories.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm 

The happiest guys in the West right now are Pops and Carlisle. If this western coaching trend continues they will be guaranteed 47 wins with a Cavs-like roster for the next few years

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:53 am 

Kuester is out in Detroit. He should've been sent packing during the season. You can't win when half of your roster has zero respect for you. You also can't win with a cast of characters that includes Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, and Tracy McGrady.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Kuester is out in Detroit. He should've been sent packing during the season. You can't win when half of your roster has zero respect for you. You also can't win with a cast of characters that includes Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, and Tracy McGrady.

That's the scoop from ESPN.com's Ric Bucher, and I remember when the Pistons staged a protest trying to force John Kuester out during the regular season. He should have been one of the first head coaches sent packing after the season concluded several weeks ago if things were that bad in Detroit.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Kevin McHale takes Rockets gig

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6613323

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:00 pm 

Not exactly coaching related, but Donnie Walsh is out as president and GM of the Knicks. The guy who cleared out all the garbage from Isiah Thomas and got them Amare and Melo gets shitcanned, and rumors say that Isiah could come back to the Knicks again. Please let this happen just for the sake of hilarious Bill Simmons articles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:18 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Not exactly coaching related, but Donnie Walsh is out as president and GM of the Knicks. The guy who cleared out all the garbage from Isiah Thomas and got them Amare and Melo gets shitcanned, and rumors say that Isiah could come back to the Knicks again. Please let this happen just for the sake of hilarious Bill Simmons articles.

If you connect the dots, Donnie Walsh's resignation as Team President could mean curtains for Mike D'Antoni as Head Coach of the New York Knicks. I heard something on "The Dan Patrick Show" this morning suggesting that D'Antoni could land on his feet as the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors. While it's unclear if the Raptors want to spend the kind of money D'Antoni's been earning in New York the last 3 seasons, it was revealed a couple days ago that Jay Triano was sent packing after just over 2 disappointing seasons in Toronto.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

If you connect the dots, Donnie Walsh's resignation as Team President could mean curtains for Mike D'Antoni as Head Coach of the New York Knicks. I heard something on "The Dan Patrick Show" this morning suggesting that D'Antoni could land on his feet as the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors. While it's unclear if the Raptors want to spend the kind of money D'Antoni's been earning in New York the last 3 seasons, it was revealed a couple days ago that Jay Triano was sent packing after just over 2 disappointing seasons in Toronto.

Ah yes, I forgot about the Raptors firing their coach. I was just trying to stick to NBA news in this thread though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm 

There could be another head coaching vacancy in the NBA. Current Minnesota Timberwolves' head coach Kurt Rambis spoke to the media today for the first time since the end of the regular season in which the T-Wolves finished with the league's worst record. Rambis has met sparingly with current Minnesota Team President David Kahn since the end of the regular season, but is said to be frustrated that he hasn't been told one way or the other regarding his future...or maybe lack thereof.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:44 pm 

SHARK wrote:
There could be another head coaching vacancy in the NBA. Current Minnesota Timberwolves' head coach Kurt Rambis spoke to the media today for the first time since the end of the regular season in which the T-Wolves finished with the league's worst record. Rambis has met sparingly with current Minnesota Team President David Kahn since the end of the regular season, but is said to be frustrated that he hasn't been told one way or the other regarding his future...or maybe lack thereof.

Once again SHARK, let's stick to NBA teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:21 am 

Oakley might be out as an assistant in Charlotte. I think his back problems are probably caused from carrying M.J.'s luggage around for the last 25 years.
Quote:
Charles Oakley: Assault led to back pain

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charles Oakley, one of the NBA's all-time tough guys, may not return to the Charlotte Bobcats' bench next season because of a painful back condition he says was caused during an assault last year in Las Vegas.

Oakley, who was in his first season as an assistant coach, had to be carried from the bench before a game in San Antonio on March 19. He missed Charlotte's final 13 games with a sciatic nerve problem.

The 47-year-old Oakley, still moving gingerly, attended Charlotte's workout of draft prospects Saturday. As he contemplates surgery, Oakley said he told general manager Rod Higgins to consider replacing him on coach Paul Silas' staff.

Silas said Saturday there's no timetable for making a decision.

"I want to do what's best for the team, always," Oakley said. "We'll have to see what happens and if I'm not back, they'll have someone just as good as me or better."

Oakley has sued the Aria hotel-casino, claiming he was beaten by security guards in May 2010. Oakley is convinced the incident led to his current condition.

"I wasn't going to sue, but they just did too much damage to me," said Oakley, who filed the suit last month. "It just handicapped me for a period of time and they think it was a joke. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I never tried to assault them. They tried to assault me.

"I'm not a troublemaker. People say, 'You got into a lot of incidents.' Yeah, but it was on the basketball floor."

The complaint contends five officers wrestled the 6-foot-9 Oakley to the ground and punched and handcuffed him after a verbal dispute over whether Oakley could return to a VIP pool area. It said Oakley was taken to the hospital with injuries to his neck, back, head and wrist. Oakley said Saturday two slipped disks suffered in the incident led to the sciatic nerve condition.

"It's like having a nail in your tire. You can only go so far and then the nail keeps going in, going in," Oakley said. "Once it reaches the peak, the hole gets bigger and all the air comes out of your tire. The damage to my disk -- it just couldn't take no more."

The complaint alleges negligence, assault, assault with excessive force, battery, false imprisonment and defamation. It seeks unspecified general, special and punitive damages.

MGM Resorts International, which owns the resort, has declined to comment since the suit was filed.

Oakley, a former teammate of Bobcats owner Michael Jordan in Chicago, was known as a relentless rebounder and collector of hard fouls in his 18-year career. Oakley, who ranks 20th in NBA history with 12,205 boards, also played for New York, Toronto, Washington and Houston.

Oakley was proud to prove he could coach. He routinely worked out with players in practice and was credited with helping Bobcats center Kwame Brown's development late last season.

Then Oakley's body gave out in a jarring scene in San Antonio.

"I hate to go out like that," Oakley said. "It looks like somebody got knocked out of the ring and couldn't get back on his feet. But I'm back walking and hopefully getting my back back together and back to 100 percent."

Oakley said he's moving better and recently started riding a bike. He hopes to avoid surgery.

"I just want to get back to normal," Oakley said. "It's draining sometimes, but you've got to stay strong. ... Hopefully, I'll be back coaching someday. If not, I've got to continue living."