It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
But that's all it is. It's just how you feel. The reality says otherwise.

The reality is I like it better when it's premier teams. There is no arguing that. Its just fact.


You're talking about popularity. Different discussion. Although Id guess the teams I mentioned all get great ratings.

Right, and all the leagues don't see ratings suffer even slightly when those teams are awful. So... no team is special.

Special is subjective and its pretty silly to try and quantify it.

No team is necessary for ratings would be less ridiculous. But it's still a straw man as I never said or suggested any league would suffer with worse teams. I just said it's better with premier teams, which most people would agree with.

Just a quick look at TV ratings. Of the last 5 Spurs final appearances, the national tv ratings were a significant drop from the previous year. Lakers have opposite effect. Because people like premier teams.

That last part is cherry picking pretty heavily. The same would normally be said about the Cavaliers and Warriors except last three Finals have gotten great ratings. But the ratings thing isn't really debatable as you conceded. So I guess we just disagree about how we feel. I do think it's odd though that you want a bunch of teams you aren't a fan of to do well. Are you sure you aren't Justin Bieber?

Cherry picking? Its 5 seasons across 20 years from the two teams in question. Its valid.

Premier teams get better ratings. Are you really saying they dont?

And no, Im not rooting for these teams until my team is out. But yea, me and most sports fans would take Dodgers-Red Sox over Rockies-Rays or Lakers vs Bulls over Grizzlies and Nets.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am
Posts: 18975
Location: Cultural Mecca
pizza_Place: Marino's in Wood Dale / Gino's East
RFDC wrote:
They look unstoppable. Where did this Bellinger kid come from? I don't remember hearing anything about him and then boom he is killing it.

If I were a Dodger fan I would be a lil scared that they are peaking too early.

He was between 30-50 on most prospect lists in 2016.

I would think that the relative success of Joc Pederson and the stardom of Corey Seager would have caused the baseball world to look more closely at future Dodgers prospects, but maybe Urias was anointed as the next big one and Bellinger flew under the radar a bit.

_________________
Trade Schwarber.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 41122
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
FavreFan wrote:
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am
Posts: 18975
Location: Cultural Mecca
pizza_Place: Marino's in Wood Dale / Gino's East
TV execs would rather have the Yankees vs the Cubs in the World Series instead of the Marlins and the Astros, even when you take the local television markets out of the equation.

It is this way in every sport.

But back to the Dodgers...fuck the Dodgers. Vin Scully is no longer broadcasting. And Cubs vs Dodgers could be an almost yearly NLCS from 2016-2020. No Cubs fan should feel any love for the Dodgers.

_________________
Trade Schwarber.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 41122
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

But none of this is a rebuttal to the statement you originally disagreed with about teams being special. Bigger markets get bigger ratings is obvious to everyone.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 20683
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

_________________
I don't know. I will ask Jorr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 41122
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU wrote:
TV execs would rather have the Yankees vs the Cubs in the World Series instead of the Marlins and the Astros, even when you take the local television markets out of the equation.

It is this way in every sport.

Not like that in the NFL but nobody is disagreeing with your very obvious first statement.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

But none of this is a rebuttal to the statement you originally disagreed with about teams being special. Bigger markets get bigger ratings is obvious to everyone.

I think more people watching on a national level indicates they are special.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.


Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)


Were not all Bernstein

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
IMU wrote:
TV execs would rather have the Yankees vs the Cubs in the World Series instead of the Marlins and the Astros, even when you take the local television markets out of the equation.

It is this way in every sport.

But back to the Dodgers...fuck the Dodgers. Vin Scully is no longer broadcasting. And Cubs vs Dodgers could be an almost yearly NLCS from 2016-2020. No Cubs fan should feel any love for the Dodgers.

Yea, the Dodgers being in Cubs way overrides any of the specialness.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 41122
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

But none of this is a rebuttal to the statement you originally disagreed with about teams being special. Bigger markets get bigger ratings is obvious to everyone.

I think more people watching on a national level indicates they are special.

Not really. More teams watch the Eagles than the Jaguars. Are the Eagles now special?

But yeah if you just meant bigger markets get bigger ratings I guess I misunderstood but it was a weird way to phrase it.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 14660
pizza_Place: nick n vito's
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.


Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)


Were not all Bernstein




:lol:

_________________
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Laurence Holmes is a fucking weirdo, a nerd in denial, and a wannabe. Not a very good radio host either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
FavreFan wrote:
Not really. More teams watch the Eagles than the Jaguars. Are the Eagles now special?

Compared to the Jaguars? Yes

I like it when more people and casual fans are into big sporting events. It's cooler.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 47157
pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I tend to side more with FF on this. To me there are no "special" teams that make the sport more enjoyable when they are good.

RPB is a romantic. He yearns for the days when the charter franchises were dominant.

Nothing wrong with that.

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
If presented with a fact(s) that I do not like, I'll tell myself it's false.


chaspoppcap wrote:
You seem to have a hard on for me and I probably desire it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
Terry's Peeps wrote:
I tend to side more with FF on this. To me there are no "special" teams that make the sport more enjoyable when they are good.

RPB is a romantic. He yearns for the days when the charter franchises were dominant.

Nothing wrong with that.

Guilty

I also tend to enjoy the drama of sports as much if not more than the nuts and bolts.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 20683
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.


Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)


Were not all Bernstein


I think you both were making decent points. Then the descent into tv ratings as an argument. I always rail against that. I could not care less about tv ratings or what networks make or pay in determining special. Most of the special Celtics-Lakers tilts were on tape delay CBS after the news.

_________________
I don't know. I will ask Jorr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 58928
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yankees-Dodgers will always be better than Rays-Phillies
The 2008 World Series was great. It was better than any Yankees Dodgers tilt from back in the day.

Reggie's 3 HRs was legendary, but that was just one event. The suspended game from '08 tops that by a mile. Phillies come out and take the lead, Baldelli ties with with a HR, the Utley fake-throw. Way way way better.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yankees-Dodgers will always be better than Rays-Phillies
The 2008 World Series was great. It was better than any Yankees Dodgers tilt from back in the day.

No.


You were just euphoric at that point because you spent a good portion of that season worrying the Cubs would win it all.


There may have been an entertaining game or 2 but Phillies controlled that series and were never in danger.

Yanks-Phillies the next year was way better



If you want to talk 2 small markets and a great World Series, you have to back to 1997.

Unless you happen to not count SF as a big market. I count STL and SF as big markets.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 51624
Curious Hair wrote:
Even 110 (which is where I think they'll wind up, they'll definitely break .666).


Image

Pick up sticks

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4007
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
Man it's all everything that can go right does go right w/ this team this year.

How did a idiot player like Puig do a complete 180 this year? Was there a brain transplate over the offseason I didnt hear about?

I am starting to wonder now if Seager/ Bellinger combo will end up better than Bryant/Rizzo.

Must be fun being a Dodgers fan so far this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 12922
Location: "Across 110th Street"
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.


Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)


Were not all Bernstein


I think you both were making decent points. Then the descent into tv ratings as an argument. I always rail against that. I could not care less about tv ratings or what networks make or pay in determining special. Most of the special Celtics-Lakers tilts were on tape delay CBS after the news.


Completely untrue.

By 84-85 the tape delayed Finals games had been over for years.

_________________
“I'm sorry we have to make a correction, the Secretary of State didn't call the president a moron, he called him a f@#king moron. We here at MSNBC apologize for the error."- Stephanie Ruhle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 9031
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
HawaiiYou wrote:
Man it's all everything that can go right does go right w/ this team this year.

How did a idiot player like Puig do a complete 180 this year? Was there a brain transplate over the offseason I didnt hear about?

I am starting to wonder now if Seager/ Bellinger combo will end up better than Bryant/Rizzo.

Must be fun being a Dodgers fan so far this season.


They are better than Brizzo now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 34575
Location: Raytheon Acres, VA
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.


Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)


Were not all Bernstein


I think you both were making decent points. Then the descent into tv ratings as an argument. I always rail against that. I could not care less about tv ratings or what networks make or pay in determining special. Most of the special Celtics-Lakers tilts were on tape delay CBS after the news.


Completely untrue.

By 84-85 the tape delayed Finals games had been over for years.

Yeah, the tape-delayed Finals would have been, like, that year the Bullets won and stuff.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14157
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 34575
Location: Raytheon Acres, VA
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dodgers win ~EIGHTY-THREE~

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 pm
Posts: 10233
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.


Or a good pharmacist.

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Not over yet.
Yes it is.


long time guy wrote:
(OKC) will be the #2 seed in the West due to these 2 moves. Watch out world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 69642
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.

He'll be lucky to have the career of Steve Balboni

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 58928
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.

No scout could have accurately predicted this.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm
Posts: 3728
Location: East of Eden
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.

crazy. he's been hitting them in the minors for a while, though. got the baseball genes, too.

_________________
rogers park bryan wrote:
This registered sex offender I regularly converse with on the internet just said something really stupid


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group