Morris and Tranmell elected by Modern Era Committee

Nice. Deserved.

Lou Whitaker??????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Good to hear. Got to get Lou in too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Ted Simmons finished 1 vote shy and the next highest was Marvin Miller with 7 of 16 (needed 12).

Miller gets no respect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Ted Simmons finished 1 vote shy and the next highest was Marvin Miller with 7 of 16 (needed 12).

Miller gets no respect.

Miller not getting in is a travesty, unless you're a franchise owner.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Let's hope not

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Let's hope not

If you put Morris in, they get in too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Let's hope not

Throw in CC and Bart Colon too . Morris getting in sets a new bar .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm 

And Dwight Evans better start thinking about hotel reservations in upstate NY pretty soon as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I believe we talked about this a while ago and I said that Morris and Schilling were more or less the same dude; one getting in should mean the other gets in too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Happy for Trammell.

Disappointed that Morris got in instead of Simmons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Let's hope not

Throw in CC and Bart Colon too . Morris getting in sets a new bar .

No, no and God help us no.

Jack Morris would kick Curt Shilling's moth ass six ways to Sunday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm 

I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?

Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.

This

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:15 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If Mattingly didn't play for the Yankees, he was just be remembered as a guy who had a really good career. HOF would not even be a mention.

On the flip side if Juan Uribe was wearing Yankee pinstripes as he made two plays like he did in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, they would be touted as two of the greatest defensive plays in WS history.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If Mattingly didn't play for the Yankees, he was just be remembered as a guy who had a really good career. HOF would not even be a mention.

On the flip side if Juan Uribe was wearing Yankee pinstripes as he made two plays like he did in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, they would be touted as two of the greatest defensive plays in WS history.

Hard to argue with this... hell, ESPN regularly forgets the 2005 WS even happened.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
I believe we talked about this a while ago and I said that Morris and Schilling were more or less the same dude; one getting in should mean the other gets in too.

Same goes for Trammell and Whitaker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

This

Mattingly is an easy no way, but what's the case against Garvey?

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm 

Mattingly is in the Hall of "That guy was a fuckin Ballplayer"

Morris and Schilling both deserve it. What are we even doing if not rewarding guys who were dominant in October for several different teams (while having great overall numbers)

If you think Morris isn't a Hall of Famer, you hate baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:38 pm 

I think he’s borderline at best .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Did you watch baseball in the 80s and early 90s?

I've always thought guys who are October stars should get a huge boost in these discussions.

I'd put Orel Hersheiser in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 pm 

I really never watched Maytingly because I never watched the AL. All I know about him was the hype I use to hear from Yankee fans.

But Garvey is an enigma. If you base it just on WS teams he was a part of and he was a big clog in the Dodgers decade long run, then I guess yes. Garvey was really good/great because he fit that team perfectly. If he’s with another team then I think he’s not as good. But if we go with what I’m saying then might as well put Cey, Lopes, Russell in as well.

While finishing my post i just thought if garvey was on the late 70s early 80s cubs teams. He would have been a stud. That’s it - Put him in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Did you watch baseball in the 80s and early 90s?

I've always thought guys who are October stars should get a huge boost in these discussions.

I'd put Orel Hersheiser in.

Yup. Good point. Donny never got to the WS. I also think his image got hurt as a manager. I know that shouldn’t matter but it may to these old geezers. At least Garvey win rings and pennants.

Why isn’t Hersheiser considered? He should be in before Garvey or Donny bats. Also Saberhagen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm 

tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

This

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.

Garvey was the star of those teams because he was the most telegenic and was generally good (not great) at most things. Those teams are exactly what the adage about what being better than the sum of its parts means.

A 25 man roster filled with solid ballplayers, none of whom deserve HOF status, and many of whom which had bigger moments than Garvey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

This

Garvey was the star of those teams because he was the most telegenic and was generally good (not great) at most things. Those teams are exactly what the adage about what being better than the sum of its parts means.

A 25 man roster filled with solid ballplayers, none of whom deserve HOF status, and many of whom which had bigger moments than Garvey

Yeah, Garvey is more like Mark Grace and Wally Joyner than he is like a real Hall of Fame first baseman.

And your statement I bolded above couldn't be truer. Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey- none of those guys is what I'd call a great player. But they were all solid and played together a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

This

I said the same thing. Funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
badrogue17 wrote:
And Dwight Evans better start thinking about hotel reservations in upstate NY pretty soon as well.

Heard a good Dewey Evans story today from Artie Lange on Sternthology circa 2009 (the Baba Booey pitch). He was talking about Yankees / Red Sox fans. Evans finished his career (he said Cleve but it was actually Balt) and during that last season they were visiting Yankee stadium. Before the game Balt was taking BP and Evans was standing around the cage with everyone else. This New Yorker apparently made his way down to the first row and starts screaming repeatedly, Hey Evans! Hey Evans! Your son is the Elephant Boy! Turns our Evans' son has NS disease--ie, something similar to Rocky Dennis disease. Evans rightly goes apeshit and starts after the guy but his teammates are holding him back. While he's held back the guy's yelling Fuck You, you won't do shit cuz I'll sue you. That sort of thing. I had no idea about Evans' kid--that is truly sad. In any case--the guy yelling from the stands? None other than.... Donald Trump.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
DannyB wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Heard a good Dewey Evans story today from Artie Lange on Sternthology circa 2009 (the Baba Booey pitch). He was talking about Yankees / Red Sox fans. Evans finished his career (he said Cleve but it was actually Balt) and during that last season they were visiting Yankee stadium. Before the game Balt was taking BP and Evans was standing around the cage with everyone else. This New Yorker apparently made his way down to the first row and starts screaming repeatedly, Hey Evans! Hey Evans! Your son is the Elephant Boy! Turns our Evans' son has NS disease--ie, something similar to Rocky Dennis disease. Evans rightly goes apeshit and starts after the guy but his teammates are holding him back. While he's held back the guy's yelling Fuck You, you won't do shit cuz I'll sue you. That sort of thing. I had no idea about Evans' kid--that is truly sad. In any case--the guy yelling from the stands? None other than.... Donald Trump.

You should contact CNN or MSNBC about that story