It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14627
Pitt won’t get much. They should have traded him last year but at least it makes room for Meadows.

I wonder if the Gigantes are still in on Cain after this move. They can sure use another OF but they may want to go for a cheaper option now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
This was the only logical landing place for McCutchen. With him and Cole gone, and Josh Harrison most likely soon to follow, entire rows at PNC will be available very cheaply.

McCutchen is probably my favorite non-Cub player of this generation. His skills are starting to fade, but he's a really classy guy who carried that team and is probably the reason they are not in Portland or Montreal right now. Reminds me of a Billy Williams with less power and much better defense.

A good SI article on him: https://www.si.com/vault/2014/09/08/106 ... -the-house


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 9533
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Got nothing for him. Wouldn’t have minded seeing him in CF at Wrigley for a year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Got nothing for him. Wouldn’t have minded seeing him in CF at Wrigley for a year.

The few remaining Pirates fans would have burned PNC Park to the ground if they had traded him inside the division.

Now, might we see him as a Cub in July once the Giants realize that they can't get their act together? That would be interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 6221
Really not sure what the Giants are doing. They must really think the Mad Bum injury was the reason they were a suckfest last year. They really have to hope the division comes back to them. I don't think you can trust the Rockies because you never know from year to year how the pitching will be in Colorado. If Arizona is able to sign back J.D Martinez, they could be the favorites. The Dodgers are supposed to have that WS hangover, so we will see.

_________________
Fuck Edwards and Zobrist


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14627
The Grandy Man signed with the Blue Jays. This makes me very happy. He’s an all time great guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7718
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The Giants are going to be good next year if they can sort out their pitching a bit.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7718
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
They are basically doing the White Sox retool and compete every year thing. Smart, because I think that can work in the weak-ass NL and they have a really good core around which to build.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 14780
Location: in the vents of life for joey belle
pizza_Place: Crime Story: wasnt that on dee road?
America wrote:
The Giants are going to be good next year if they can sort out their pitching a bit.

read: Madison bumgarner doesn't go dirt-biking.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I think it was Heroin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1913
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Long piece on Alex Cobb for those interested:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/ ... -cobb.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1913
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Jeff Passan
‏Verified account @JeffPassan
41m41 minutes ago

Jeff Passan Retweeted Jon Heyman

Austin Jackson was a two-win player last year. That's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $15M in value for one season. He got a total of $6M guaranteed for two seasons. The bottoming out of this market is staggering, and what's scary is that this is just the beginning.

Jeff Passan added,
Jon Heyman
Verified account @JonHeyman
Sources: Austin Jackson to giants. 6M, 2 Years. Elevators coukd take it to 8.5M.
46 replies 149 retweets 257 likes
Jeff Passan
‏Verified account @JeffPassan
11m11 minutes ago

In retrospect, as some smart people are telling me, the $/WAR model probably not proper for valuing Austin Jackson's market in this case. I saw him similar to Chris Young, who got two years and $13M, but Jackson had a few off years before comeback last season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14627
He was worthless on the Sox.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 53112
Keyser Soze wrote:
He was worthless on the Sox.


Even if he sucked, his presence allowed Eaton to move to right and show all the talent he had that lead to a very good trade for the Sox, but I don't think he sucked

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60880
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
He got hurt on the Sox. He was fine before he got hurt, and had a good season with Indians.

This is just further proof that when Keyser doesn't like a player- for any reason whatsoever- he refuses to give him credit when its due.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 44582
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
'77Cubs wrote:
Jeff Passan
‏Verified account @JeffPassan
41m41 minutes ago

Jeff Passan Retweeted Jon Heyman

Austin Jackson was a two-win player last year. That's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $15M in value for one season. He got a total of $6M guaranteed for two seasons. The bottoming out of this market is staggering, and what's scary is that this is just the beginning.

Jeff Passan added,
Jon Heyman
Verified account @JonHeyman
Sources: Austin Jackson to giants. 6M, 2 Years. Elevators coukd take it to 8.5M.
46 replies 149 retweets 257 likes
Jeff Passan
‏Verified account @JeffPassan
11m11 minutes ago

In retrospect, as some smart people are telling me, the $/WAR model probably not proper for valuing Austin Jackson's market in this case. I saw him similar to Chris Young, who got two years and $13M, but Jackson had a few off years before comeback last season.

My bad man. Didn't see this post before inadvertently Beardowning you.

_________________
Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Every time that wheel turn 'round
Bound to cover just a little more ground


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 6014
pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
schmitty1121 wrote:
Really not sure what the Giants are doing. They must really think the Mad Bum injury was the reason they were a suckfest last year. They really have to hope the division comes back to them. I don't think you can trust the Rockies because you never know from year to year how the pitching will be in Colorado. If Arizona is able to sign back J.D Martinez, they could be the favorites. The Dodgers are supposed to have that WS hangover, so we will see.


Agree with your thoughts on the West, the Rockies and will throw the Diamondbacks in this too, last year they probably snuck up on people, won't be able to do that this year.

I would say the Dodgers are still the favorites, but understand the WS hangover.

THe Giants will be hoping guys can still perform like they have for their old teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 6014
pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I kinda hope Darvish goes to the Brewers, they had a decent season last year, were still in the playoff hunt going into the last weekend, gives them a little more hope coming into the season.

Were do you think Carlos Gonzalez goes, a little surprised the Rockies aren't keeping them and they may after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1913
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Jon Morosi
‏Verified account @jonmorosi
25m25 minutes ago

Source: Yu Darvish is increasingly likely to sign with an @MLB team this week. #Twins are among the teams with whom he is engaged in ongoing discussions. @MLBNetwork


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34885
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Thirty days until Spring Training ... the following folks are still unsigned:

Image

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 43316
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Don Tiny wrote:
Thirty days until Spring Training ... the following folks are still unsigned:

Image



Collusion! Putin is probably involved.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 9533
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Sox should sign Hosmer and move Abreu to DH.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 9533
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I don't think Holland signs until after the draft. He's not good enough to give up a draft pick for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 22622
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Thirty days until Spring Training ... the following folks are still unsigned:

Image



Collusion! Putin is probably involved.


I was just talking to someone about this very thing. The owners now decide to tank or avoid the luxury tax and the players will still win a 500M collusion suit.

_________________
Elections Have Consequences. - Guess Who?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60880
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sox should sign Hosmer and move Abreu to DH.
He turned down a $147 million 7yr offer from KC. There is no way the Sox would offer him more. Nor should they.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/ka ... 96859.html

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 9533
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sox should sign Hosmer and move Abreu to DH.
He turned down a $147 million 7yr offer from KC. There is no way the Sox would offer him more. Nor should they.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/ka ... 96859.html


For his age and position, that deal would be a steal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14627
Brewers get OF Christian Yelich for OF Lewis Brinson SS Isan Diaz OF Monte Harrison and RHP Jordan Yamamoto

That’s a HUGE return. Monte is my guy! The Brewers aren’t fucking around. Damn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1913
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Overpay??!!

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman

brewers also agree to deal with lorenzo cain, confirmed. 80M for 5 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 14627
It’s definitely a lot but I think Yelich’s best years are still in front of him. Could be a deal that works out for both teams.

5 yrs for a 32 yr old outfielder?!? Now that’s an overpay!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 44582
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Smart of the Brewers to go for it with the Cubs window pretty much closed.

_________________
Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Every time that wheel turn 'round
Bound to cover just a little more ground


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1913
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Keyser Soze wrote:
It’s definitely a lot but I think Yelich’s best years are still in front of him. Could be a deal that works out for both teams.

5 yrs for a 32 yr old outfielder?!? Now that’s an overpay!


The Crew aren't fucking around.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group