It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
...into the strike zone after receiving the pitch, the umpire should automatically call it a ball. In that case it's obvious the catcher thought it was a ball. If he didn't he wouldn't need to attempt to "frame" the pitch. So if he thinks it's a ball, why shouldn't the umpire?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Should the impact really care or see the glove?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Is "impact" supposed to be "umpire" above?

If so, I would say that if the umpire notices the catcher dragging the ball into the strikezone it makes calling the pitch a no brainer. It's a ball. Calling it a strike is just rewarding the defense for subterfuge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If so, I would say that if the umpire notices the catcher dragging the ball into the strikezone it makes calling the pitch a no brainer. It's a ball. Calling it a strike is just rewarding the defense for subterfuge.

Yeah, autocorrect.

I get it’s a tough job but the point is to see the ball cross the plate. What happens after that should have no bearing on the call.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I thought that the "art" of pitch framing was moving the ball back into the strike zone in such a way that the umpire doesn't notice you doing it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
I thought that the "art" of pitch framing was moving the ball back into the strike zone in such a way that the umpire doesn't notice you doing it?

Rick Dempsey had a little presentation on the 'art' of fooling the umpire. It's probably on youtube or somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, autocorrect.

I get it’s a tough job but the point is to see the ball cross the plate. What happens after that should have no bearing on the call.

Yes, see where the ball crosses the plate in that millisecond.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Rick Dempsey had a little presentation on the 'art' of fooling the umpire. It's probably on youtube or somewhere

According to Dempsey, JORR's premise is somewhat suspect. You are moving the glove, but you're keeping your arm still and just flicking your wrist with the glove more or less in the strike zone to begin with.

https://youtu.be/v2GliQ_tls0?si=F4e9cjw29jh_rLww

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Warren Newson wrote:
JORR's premise is somewhat suspect.

Edited for brevity but ya know.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If went the opposite way when umpiring on any call where somebody tried to deceive me it would be ugly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

According to Dempsey, JORR's premise is somewhat suspect. You are moving the glove, but you're keeping your arm still and just flicking your wrist with the glove more or less in the strike zone to begin with.

If you really thought it was a strike, why would you need to move the glove at all?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

If you really thought it was a strike, why would you need to move the glove at all?

The catcher doesn't think it's a strike, and tries to move his glove in a way that's not detectable by the umpire. If he does it right, the umpire doesn't notice and, therefore, is not in position to react to the movement of the glove.

I don't think anything is perfectly still back there, and there's always some movement. It's the job of the framer to make framing movement look like normal movement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The catcher doesn't think it's a strike, and tries to move his glove in a way that's not detectable by the umpire.

Correct. So if the umpire does notice it, it should be an automatic ball, right? My main point is that if the pitcher's own teammate who has the same basic view as the umpire doesn't think it's a strike, why should the umpire disagree?

The guy moving the glove is trying to cheat, isn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The catcher doesn't think it's a strike, and tries to move his glove in a way that's not detectable by the umpire.

Correct. So if the umpire does notice it, it should be an automatic ball, right? My main point is that if the pitcher's own teammate who has the same basic view as the umpire doesn't think it's a strike, why should the umpire disagree?

The guy moving the glove is trying to cheat, isn't he?

If you accept the premise that there's always some movement, you can't call balls and strikes based solely on movement. If you did, you would be calling pitches right down the middle balls. I think framing works because the umpire can't distinguish normal movement from framing movement. Also, there's a possibility that the best framers have the same movement every time (the ball is always getting pulled to the center of the plate even when it's basically there already) and are not making a conscious attempt to frame, which would make it even harder to detect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:

If you accept the premise that there's always some movement, you can't call balls and strikes based solely on movement. If you did, you would be calling pitches right down the middle balls. I think framing works because the umpire can't distinguish normal movement from framing movement. Also, there's a possibility that the best framers have the same movement every time (the ball is always getting pulled to the center of the plate even when it's basically there already) and are not making a conscious attempt to frame, which would make it even harder to detect.

Maybe. But when a pitcher drops a curve right into the zone and freezes the batter you see the catcher hold his glove in place like he's a statue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
pitch-framing is about to become completely irrelevant anyway. We are an eyelash away from automated ball and strike calls, at least on a partial basis. 10 years from now, pitch framing is going to seem quaint and old-fashioned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Maybe. But when a pitcher drops a curve right into the zone and freezes the batter you see the catcher hold his glove in place like he's a statue.

True, but even then I suspect there's at least some movement in between the time the ball is caught and the freeze takes place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:52 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
pitch-framing is about to become completely irrelevant anyway. We are an eyelash away from automated ball and strike calls, at least on a partial basis. 10 years from now, pitch framing is going to seem quaint and old-fashioned.

I would welcome that change. Framing does nothing for me as a fan. I would rather see them just get the call right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:

I would welcome that change. Framing does nothing for me as a fan. I would rather see them just get the call right.

It unduly kept Grandal having a job.