It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheating Astros
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Used to love drinking at "Call Me Moose" Skowron's place on 35th and Laramie… I could "listen" to him talk baseball all day long :D When the Yankees were in town Williams, O'Neil. Posada, and Zimmer (who would have to leave by noon post time at Aqueduct :D ) would stop in. Moose once told a story he hit a homer off Early Wynn...got back to the dugout and Maris and Mantle asked him what he hit a curve or a slider Moose told them he threw the fuckin ball and I hit it :D :D :D :D

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Regular Reader wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
if they didn't punish this, and they allowed it as "sign-stealing is part of the game" where electronics and technology were allowed freely, you in essence may as well make a new rule where the pitcher has to announce what pitch he is throwing. The pitcher and catcher cannot possibly overcome the advantage of allowing teams to tell batters during the windup what pitch is coming.

When Gibson hit his walk-off bomb in '88 he noted how the analytics told him what pitch Eck was more than likely to throw him given the sequence leading up to 3 & 2. Hitting coaches have the books on every experienced pitcher and drum them into the batters' heads. They're loudly complaining about what can't be more than a possibly marginal at best benefit imo.

I just don't think it's worth the whine. Now, or in the "shot heard around the world" times.

Making what the Astros did perfectly legal to the point where teams can legally tell the hitter what pitch is coming as the pitcher begins his motion is only a marginal benefit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
if they didn't punish this, and they allowed it as "sign-stealing is part of the game" where electronics and technology were allowed freely, you in essence may as well make a new rule where the pitcher has to announce what pitch he is throwing. The pitcher and catcher cannot possibly overcome the advantage of allowing teams to tell batters during the windup what pitch is coming.

When Gibson hit his walk-off bomb in '88 he noted how the analytics told him what pitch Eck was more than likely to throw him given the sequence leading up to 3 & 2. Hitting coaches have the books on every experienced pitcher and drum them into the batters' heads. They're loudly complaining about what can't be more than a possibly marginal at best benefit imo.

I just don't think it's worth the whine. Now, or in the "shot heard around the world" times.

Making what the Astros did perfectly legal to the point where teams can legally tell the hitter what pitch is coming as the pitcher begins his motion is only a marginal benefit?

I haven't looked into this, but it doesn't seem like a batter could get the signal w/in a second or so from when the pitch crosses the plate and that's with everything going on around him. Certainly not with a good pitcher who gets the ball and goes, not leaving much processing time. I just don't think that it's that big of an advantage in that case.

And fwiw, as I can't stand them, if slow pitchers get rocked, it's fine by me anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
Furious Styles wrote:
They will clearly stoop to anything - like throwing the World Series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Used to love drinking at "Call Me Moose" Skowron's place on 35th and Laramie… I could "listen" to him talk baseball all day long :D When the Yankees were in town Williams, O'Neil. Posada, and Zimmer (who would have to leave by noon post time at Aqueduct :D ) would stop in. Moose once told a story he hit a homer off Early Wynn...got back to the dugout and Maris and Mantle asked him what he hit a curve or a slider Moose told them he threw the fuckin ball and I hit it :D :D :D :D

Moose was not gifted with intelligence but the Lord made up for it with kindness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I haven't looked into this, but it doesn't seem like a batter could get the signal w/in a second or so from when the pitch crosses the plate and that's with everything going on around him. Certainly not with a good pitcher who gets the ball and goes, not leaving much processing time. I just don't think that it's that big of an advantage in that case.

And fwiw, as I can't stand them, if slow pitchers get rocked, it's fine by me anyways.

Now it’s true, I did NOT play pro ball, but I think it is safe to say that in a world where anything goes and electronic intelligence is permitted to steal signs in any situation, and the dugout is allowed to openly bang out or call out pitches to a hitter when the pitcher is set and starting his delivery, there is no way that would not change the game forever in a major way. If it were allowed, managers or coaches or teammates would be sitting openly in the dugout with a tablet on a live stream, not hiding in the tunnel banging out Morse code. They had no choice but to take the bull by the horns and completely outlaw it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
badrogue17 wrote:
In the Series the Astro's were 2 and 3 hit....did they not steal signs in those games or did they just nott execute? Inquiring minds want to know

Just lost 4 home WS games too. Hey remember when batters knew what Mariano Rivera was throwing and knocked him around the ballpark ?

The truth about Mariano was that no two of his pitches were the same. He changed the speed of his pitches all of the time and could also change the break on his ball. He also had terrific control. o you think that there is any pitcher around today as good as Mariano was?

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:11 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
In the Series the Astro's were 2 and 3 hit....did they not steal signs in those games or did they just nott execute? Inquiring minds want to know

Just lost 4 home WS games too. Hey remember when batters knew what Mariano Rivera was throwing and knocked him around the ballpark ?

I believe I had brought that up.....I'll hang up and wait for Hawk to call you dumb

I didn't call anyone dumb. I say that if a hitter knows what pitch is going to be thrown he is in a better position to hit it than if he is guessing what it is going to be. If you disagree with that then you are stupid. I didn't say that they would hit it but that they had a better chance of hitting it. I also enjoy the "argument" where someone brought up Mariano Rivera. Hell, why doesn't someone bring up Bob Gibson or Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan? But guess what, folks, these kind of guys are the best of all time. Their stuff was special.

But this is crazy. 99% of all pitchers are not in the same echelon as Rivera or Gibson or Koufax. And if you tell a good major league hitter that an average pitcher is going to throw a fastball to him and he can sit on it, the chances are that he will hit it hard is much better than if he does not know that it is coming. That is only common sense.

Last edited by The Hawk on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:15 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ridiculous! What's next telling opponent teams that their pitchers are tipping pitches off? For years the Cubs and Red Sox scoreboards were almost a perfect places to steal signs from, Chris Sale with his binocular tirade in Detroit. When I think Cubs , Red Sox and Tigers I think World Series :roll: I could tell 3/4 these clowns what was coming and they couldn't hit it! Did hitters know what Rivera was going to throw? Could they hit it? Don't be a bunch of whinny bitches in a sport that is hurting in so many ways

Agreed. This prissy sanctimony is embarrassing the sport of corked bats, loaded and doctored baseballs, internet thieves and horrendous umpires. Not to mention the RIGHT :roll: kind of sign stealing.

What a dumb ass post. YOu tell a major league hitter that a fastball is coming and the odds that something good happens within his at bat improves. Major league hitter thrive on the fastball. Knowing that it is coming and not have to worry about a hard slider or change-up is a huge advantage for a hitter. Also, not all major league pitchers throw 95-100 MPH. Most of them throw 91-94. Come-on. Even you aren't that dumb, are you?

Whine and patriot more about yet another point that went over your head.

What a really dumb shit you are. What the Astros and Red Sox did was outside of the rules of baseball. It is clear and the fact that you do not understand why it was wrong really shows how mentally slow you really are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:36 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ridiculous! What's next telling opponent teams that their pitchers are tipping pitches off? For years the Cubs and Red Sox scoreboards were almost a perfect places to steal signs from, Chris Sale with his binocular tirade in Detroit. When I think Cubs , Red Sox and Tigers I think World Series :roll: I could tell 3/4 these clowns what was coming and they couldn't hit it! Did hitters know what Rivera was going to throw? Could they hit it? Don't be a bunch of whinny bitches in a sport that is hurting in so many ways

Agreed. This prissy sanctimony is embarrassing the sport of corked bats, loaded and doctored baseballs, internet thieves and horrendous umpires. Not to mention the RIGHT :roll: kind of sign stealing.

What a dumb ass post. YOu tell a major league hitter that a fastball is coming and the odds that something good happens within his at bat improves. Major league hitter thrive on the fastball. Knowing that it is coming and not have to worry about a hard slider or change-up is a huge advantage for a hitter. Also, not all major league pitchers throw 95-100 MPH. Most of them throw 91-94. Come-on. Even you aren't that dumb, are you?

listen up pip squeak are you and other teams that dumb you can't tell they were sending signals by beating on a fucking garbage can :lol: :lol: :lol: Image

They probably changed the way that they sent the message to the hitter. I'm just guessing. That isn't the point, though. The relay of the information is really immaterial. The point is that they used technology to steal the sign from the catcher.

Are you really that F*ing dumb? Wait.....You ARE THAT DUMB aren't you?

There is nothing wrong if a coach or player steals a catchers sign or a coaches sign or a managers sign. It happens all of the time in baseball. When people start using binoculars, or video feeds, etc. to intercept these signs, then that is bullshit. I'd say, further, that if a team gets caught doing this kind of shit going forward, then the game should be forfeited and the manager suspended for lets say at least ten games and if it happens again then a much longer suspension should occur.

Last edited by The Hawk on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
YOu tell a major league hitter that a fastball is coming and the odds that something good happens within his at bat improves. Major league hitter thrive on the fastball. Knowing that it is coming and not have to worry about a hard slider or change-up is a huge advantage for a hitter. Also, not all major league pitchers throw 95-100 MPH. Most of them throw 91-94. Come-on. Even you aren't that dumb, are you?

That fat man actually hit a home run last season. After about what 40 major league season, he finally hit a ball out of the ball partk :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Hawk wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
YOu tell a major league hitter that a fastball is coming and the odds that something good happens within his at bat improves. Major league hitter thrive on the fastball. Knowing that it is coming and not have to worry about a hard slider or change-up is a huge advantage for a hitter. Also, not all major league pitchers throw 95-100 MPH. Most of them throw 91-94. Come-on. Even you aren't that dumb, are you?

That fat man actually hit a home run last season. After about what 40 major league season, he finally hit a ball out of the ball partk :lol: :lol:

Howie Rose's call on the Mets radio broadcast is wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:49 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Remember when Darvish was tipping his pitches?

Some pitchers have been exposed in the past about what their glove position is. There are also things in a pitchers delivery that can be picked up which a hitter can pick up to tell him what might be coming. Sometimes where a guy stands on the rubber can also be an indicator. All of that is fair game and is actually fun when you get into it.

But imagine this scenario. The grip on a baseball is a huge factor in what a pitch is. If a team can pick up the grip of a baseball and relay it to a batter whether that grip indicates that the pitch will be a slider, fastball, change-up or curve, think of what that means. And nobody tell me that these assholes haven't already figured out how to do that because I am sure that they have.

Last edited by The Hawk on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
So what if the Astros cheated.
Trump is worse.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

listen up pip squeak are you and other teams that dumb you can't tell they were sending signals by beating on a fucking garbage can :lol: :lol: :lol: Image

They probably changed the way that they sent the message to the hitter. I'm just guessing. That isn't the point, though. The relay of the information is really immaterial. The point is that they used technology to steal the sign from the catcher.

There is nothing wrong if a coach or player steals a catchers sign or a coaches sign or a managers sign. It happens all of the time in baseball. When people start using binoculars, or video feeds, etc. to intercept these signs, then that is bullshit. I'd say, further, that if a team gets caught doing this kind of shit going forward, then the game should be forfeited and the manager suspended for lets say at least ten games and if it happens again then a much longer suspension should occur.

if you think that these are the only two teams to use technology to steal signs you are naïve ….they all do it these 2 happen to get caught;;;still no explanation on getting 2 and 3 hit?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Darkside wrote:
So what if the Astros cheated.
Trump is worse.

That goes without saying. He just hired Cora to work on his campaign.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:23 am 

the solution is simple make it legal for anyone to steal signs,,,,,done

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Next to the Astros, the Cubs had the best home/road splits. Can’t rule them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Next to the Astros, the Cubs had the best home/road splits. Can’t rule them out.

Have a feeling some form of cheating using available technology is common. MLB opened a big can.of worms.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:

No you can't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bababooey wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Have a feeling some form of cheating using available technology is common. MLB opened a big can.of worms.

Maybe yes maybe no but if they are it seems they better stop now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bababooey wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

MLB didn't want to open it. Mike Fiers forced them to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Bababooey wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Inside the sport this type of cheating was common knowledge well before Fiers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:31 am 

The now holier than thou MLB how about releasing everyone's name who tested positive for roids :shock:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
KDdidit wrote:
Bababooey wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Sounds like MLB should fier him.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
KDdidit wrote:
[

was that the guy who had that porn site that Mac loved so much?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hatchetman wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
[

was that the guy who had that porn site that Mac loved so much?

You're probably thinking of the porn star Mac loves, Ashley Fires.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:45 am 

The Hawk wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

if you think that these are the only two teams to use technology to steal signs you are naïve ….they all do it these 2 happen to get caught;;;still no explanation on getting 2 and 3 hit?

I don't think that they all do it. Maybe a few. I am sure though, that the message has been sent to the teams not to let it happen again. When managers, GMs and coaches lose their jobs and possibly their careers by cheating, then those watching this happen have to be scared. I hope that no one hires them back although I am pretty sure someone will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am 

It is legal to steal signs. It is illegal to use technology to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:20 pm 

The Hawk wrote:

It is legal to steal signs. It is illegal to use technology to do it.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/01/15/yes-more-teams-than-the-astros-and-red-sox-stole-signs-but-that-doesnt-excuse-them/

my my

I'm out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next