It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Regular Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Juan Soto turns down a 15-yr, $440m extension from the Nationals. I hope it's because he doesn't want to play in Washington and not because he's a greedy asshole.

It's a smart decision. Soto shouldn't consider anything less than $500M. Trout was an idiot. Ohtani shouldn't consider anything less than $60M a year for at least 5 years.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Ohtani's a 40 million a year hitter and a 40 million a year pitcher = $80 million a year

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Hussra wrote:
Ohtani's a 40 million a year hitter and a 40 million a year pitcher = $80 million a year

Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:39 pm 

Angels 3-13 over their last 16. Ohtani started all 3 wins and drove in 4 of the 13 runs the Angels scored over those 3 games.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:

If he isn't the highest paid player in the game's history, his arm fell off, or he died.

The Angels have arguably the 2 best players in baseball, and they suck. The real crime is that most people in America couldn't pick either of them out of a lineup. That's why the game of baseball is dying. MLB sucks at marketing its stars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:05 am 

Are there any baseball super stars who cross over into popular culture anymore? Other than Trevor Bauer and Josh Hader. Aaron Judge was supposed
to be the successor to Jeter, but other than being recognizably yooge he's not really a household name. Kind of thought Altuve could be that sort of Steph Curry celeb baseball player, but then the cheating scandal spiked any chance of that happening. If Tatis played in NY or LA or Chicago he'd be a draw for marginal baseball fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:23 am 
100000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:
Are there any baseball super stars who cross over into popular culture anymore? Other than Trevor Bauer and Josh Hader. Aaron Judge was supposed
to be the successor to Jeter, but other than being recognizably yooge he's not really a household name. Kind of thought Altuve could be that sort of Steph Curry celeb baseball player, but then the cheating scandal spiked any chance of that happening. If Tatis played in NY or LA or Chicago he'd be a draw for marginal baseball fans.

That's on MLB. They aren't promoting these guys in an era where fans are fans of players instead of teams. Ohtani is doing something that has never been done. Mike Trout is one of the greatest players ever to play, and no one knows him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:57 am 

Aren't most baseball players nowadays targeted for the majors at such a young age it's unlikely for them to have any sort of interesting personality or curated intelligence? Mike Trout was mic'd up during an all-star game and all he talked about was the freaking weather.

Then again, I don't recall Jeter ever doing or saying much of interest off the field and he was a household name. So maybe it is just a failure of marketing.

Somehow the NBA is lapping the other leagues in terms of turning their players into TMZ celebs. I dunno if that's the league's doing or if it's the nature of the NBA game. NBA players are more recognizable than any other sport. Baseball used to have more colorful players. Last time there was a group of MLB players that were well-known off the field it was the Bonds/McGwire/Sosa era. Josh Hamilton briefly broke through as on off the field interest, but mostly as a redemption story, until he killed that guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Football players wear helmets, but they are still more recognizable than baseball players. It's definitely marketing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:15 am 

Nas wrote:
Hussra wrote:

If he isn't the highest paid player in the game's history, his arm fell off, or he died.

The Angels have arguably the 2 best players in baseball, and they suck. The real crime is that most people in America couldn't pick either of them out of a lineup. That's why the game of baseball is dying. MLB sucks at marketing its stars.

Mike Trout doesn't want to be marketed and MLB has complained publicly about it.

Baseball is now a niche sport and therefore is an acquired taste. I would suggest the players and umps be mic'ed up. It doesn't have to be live, producers can just pick out conversations of interest, bleeped arguments with umps, and so forth. Dugout conversations and goings-on in the dugout are the most interesting things there are in all of sports. Especially when it's your half of the inning. The bench is ALIVE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Juan Soto turns down a 15-yr, $440m extension from the Nationals. I hope it's because he doesn't want to play in Washington and not because he's a greedy asshole.

Oh so you’re a communist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
SpiralStairs wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Oh so you’re a communist.

With contracts like these, I may turn into one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:24 am 

If Trout and Ohtani played and performed in October their profiles would jump even without any deliberate marketing. Trout's only played in the post-season once in 12 seasons, Angels got swept by the Royals in 2014 and Trout went 1 for 12 with his lone hit a HR. The Astros stranglehold on the AL West season after season and the AL East eating up all the wild card slots every year doesn't leave much of a chance for the Angels to make the playoffs anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:25 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Reasonably entertaining Derby.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Jaw Breaker wrote:

this guy has chosen a bad time to get greedy. with a recession on the way, advertising monies will likely shrink for awhile - i just don't see him getting a better financial deal.

his party knows the optics are bad, he's angry that the nats 'leaked out' the numbers.

i say greedy because he wants the 'security' of long-term money, but, the numbers at the end don't add up for him. i do see his point. in 10 years, $35 million per year for a superstar might be the norm - and they want more than the norm for a run-of-the-mill superstar. well, which one is it? boras wants the whole 9 yards. security + a heavy premium over what the top salaries are projected (his own projection) to be in 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:39 pm 

If Soto wants to maximize earnings, I think he’s better off positioning himself for 2 contracts. Tough to do that when you lock in your whole career at age 23.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:44 pm 

i agree with you. you know boras is telling him that one bad offensive year/major injury in his first contract will harm his second contract.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:26 pm 

Yes, but where will baseball be in 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? Average MLB fan is 57.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:44 pm 

If Boras is your agent and you're a 23 year old about to hit free agency, you take whatever deal Boras tells you to sign. If Boras says take a 1 year prove it deal, like he did with Adrian Beltre one season, you take it. 5 years, 10 years, whatever. That guy gets players paid. Ruins teams. But takes care of his guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I hate the length of these mega contracts. They never end well and you have no clue what someone will be worth down the road. I would much rather give him a 3 year 135 mil extension with a team only option for a 4th year at another 50 mil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Soto doesnt want to be the next Trout and not sniff october baseball. He will get paid by a better organization.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:57 pm 

Nas wrote:
Hussra wrote:

That's on MLB. They aren't promoting these guys in an era where fans are fans of players instead of teams. Ohtani is doing something that has never been done. Mike Trout is one of the greatest players ever to play, and no one knows him.

Just the other day it dawned on me that Jeter has more national commercials than all of MLB combined. Pitiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
312player wrote:
Soto doesnt want to be the next Trout and not sniff october baseball. He will get paid by a better organization.

The Nats won the World Series three years ago.

Soto was on that team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:11 pm 

My guess is he just wants a lot of money and doesn’t want it spread out over what feels like a lifetime at his age.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Has Stanton's homerun landed yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 am 

Hussra wrote:
But takes care of his guys.

he made it a point to tell the world that the nats didn't charter a private plane for soto to take him to l.a. said soto had to wait 2 hours (dca i'll assume) for his commercial fight. you'd think boras knew this on sunday and could have hired a charter for his client - to take care of his guy. the braves' all-stars were also in d.c. after sunday's game and how did they get to l.a.? maybe he could have hitched a ride with them, like the astros took the a's blackburn on their charter from houston to l.a.

this complaint didn't go over well with the public. boras didn't generate much sympathy for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Seacrest wrote:
312player wrote:

Soto was on that team.

Yup, I'm aware..I won 2500 on them.. they are now the worst team in mlb and the Mets and braves are going to run the division for the foreseeable future.. he can get that money with the cubs,red Sox, yanks, dodgers, Mets and win another ring or two.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
312player wrote:
he can get that money with the cubs

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
312player wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
312player wrote:

Soto was on that team.

Yup, I'm aware..I won 2500 on them.. they are now the worst team in mlb and the Mets and braves are going to run the division for the foreseeable future.. he can get that money with the cubs,red Sox, yanks, dodgers, Mets and win another ring or two.

I highly doubt he cares about rings. Max bidder will win..period.

Trout and Ohtani....fuck them. They're getting exactly what they deserve

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next