All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Replay Review, is good?
Yes, is good 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Kill it with fire 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Praise the sun. 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Replay Review
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This sucks fucking huge.
It's terrible.
Kill it.
Kill it with fire.

Praise the sun.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject: Re: Replay Review
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Darkside wrote:
This sucks fucking huge.
It's terrible.
Kill it.
Kill it with fire.

Praise the sun.

They just need to speed it up. Take a couple looks. If there's nothing overwhelming, the call stands.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Darkside wrote:
This sucks fucking huge.
It's terrible.
Kill it.
Kill it with fire.

Praise the sun.

They just need to speed it up. Take a couple looks. If there's nothing overwhelming, the call stands.

Yes, its necessary but takes way too fucking long.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
It's been 5 fucking years, why is this still happening?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Modify it so that it is objective and doesn't reward MLB's pet teams or something

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Modify it so that it is objective and doesn't reward MLB's pet teams or something

I'm assuming this is you being funny.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's about as close as I come, yeah.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's about as close as I come, yeah.

Very... entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The idea that there is some imperative to get every call correct is flawed and it's fucking up the game. The beauty of baseball is that it's a metaphor for life and life is imperfect. Sometimes you just get fucked, not because anybody was out to fuck you, but just because that's the way life is. And no matter how hard we try to smooth it out, we can't. So now, all you've done is making the game longer with a guy in New York making a mistake rather than a guy on the field. Replay sucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The idea that there is some imperative to get every call correct is flawed and it's fucking up the game. The beauty of baseball is that it's a metaphor for life and life is imperfect. Sometimes you just get fucked, not because anybody was out to fuck you, but just because that's the way life is. And no matter how hard we try to smooth it out, we can't. So now, all you've done is making the game longer with a guy in New York making a mistake rather than a guy on the field. Replay sucks.

I think you are right. Baseball trying to be perfect is like the parent trying to make their kid's life perfect by not letting them play (or walk) unsupervised and giving them cell phones. They still might be fuck ups anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I don't like PitchTrax either. Yes, there are umps with inconsistent strike zones, but for the most part, the game has survived just fine. I think calling balls and strikes is difficult, and I'm actually impressed when umps make the right call when it looked like a ball or strike to the naked eye. But I don't need that stupid overlay for every pitch.

As an aside, I wish they would call the strikezone as it's written in the rules.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:10 am 

it's definitely of no use in the NL. teams are just tanking so they can join the AL. replay just slows down that assimilation.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I don't like PitchTrax either. Yes, there are umps with inconsistent strike zones, but for the most part, the game has survived just fine. I think calling balls and strikes is difficult, and I'm actually impressed when umps make the right call when it looked like a ball or strike to the naked eye. But I don't need that stupid overlay for every pitch.

As an aside, I wish they would call the strikezone as it's written in the rules.

My contention is that if they actually called the book strikezone you'd cover a lot of issues. First, you'd speed up the game. That's always something the casual fan complains about. Second, it would make it more difficult to go up there looking to walk. I don't go to the park to see my 80 million dollar outfielder walk.

But I'm certain we're not many seasons away from robot umpires.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
it's definitely of no use in the NL. teams are just tanking so they can join the AL. replay just slows down that assimilation.

Actually, they're tanking so they can be like the Cubs. Unfortunately, they don't have Theo Epstein.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Get the calls right.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I disagree slightly. I agree with this philosophy on plays that are too close to call. In those situations, just go with the human call, regardless of if they ar noff by an inch that can't even be seen on a replay. However, if there's a blatantly wrong call, and everyone realizes it, including the umpires, overturn it... but that should be the mindset on the reviews. If there's nothing obvious to overturn it on the first couple glances, leave it alone.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:36 am 

Why are there only two real answers with no middle ground in the poll? Did Boilermaker Rick take over your account?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:49 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I disagree slightly. I agree with this philosophy on plays that are too close to call. In those situations, just go with the human call, regardless of if they ar noff by an inch that can't even be seen on a replay. However, if there's a blatantly wrong call, and everyone realizes it, including the umpires, overturn it... but that should be the mindset on the reviews. If there's nothing obvious to overturn it on the first couple glances, leave it alone.

I just don't think it should be done with technology. The umpires have always had the ability to change a call. And sometimes they did. If "everybody knows" then there are three other guys who can tell their colleague, "Hey, you missed that one." Or as Hawk likes to say, "Get help."

My point isn't that it's not important to get the calls right. It's about what we value in the game. Correct calls aren't the virtue that trumps everything else. You know how people talk about baseball. It's unlike the other sports. They romanticize it, talk about their dads, simpler times, smelling the grass. Whether that shit is true or not is immaterial. People think it's true and they have those feelings. That's why putting giant TVs in Wrigley Field is controversial while having them in a modern park is not. It's a remaining vestige of what once was. And obviously, people like that more than the modern. Maybe if every team had it, people would complain about it being anachronistic. I don't know. But a lot of people watch baseball to escape the realities of their day which are largely brought upon them by technology. The ball field is not an operating room. Nobody dies if we get a call wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
any replay system that requires a coach to make a challenge is a stupid system. especially in baseball where there is typically plenty of time to see a replay between plays. If you are going to use replay, have a 5th umpire in the booth with the authority to halt play if there is reason to suspect a call was missed. We at home watching the game have a better idea of how close a play was than anyone on the field thanks to instant television replays. a good replay system should ensure ALL bad calls are overturned, not just ones that are "challenged". if the call is wrong, fix it. otherwise, scrap the whole thing. managers having to delay the game to wait to hear from above whether they should issue a challenge is asinine.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Get rid of the asshole umps on the field. Have one video ump.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 am 

IMU wrote:
Get the calls right.

If that is your exhortation then you have to push for a mechanized strike/ball determination. Those are the calls that are more often incorrect.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Agree with IMU..get the calls right and start holding the worst umps accountable.. I'm all for a digital zone with sensors.. Been saying it for 10 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dont know if the White Sox got the interview on TV but watching the Red Sox feed last night and they had MAN FRED on and he spoke about having the head umpire wearing a mic soon explaining the call and whats under review, like the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Why are there only two real answers with no middle ground in the poll? Did Boilermaker Rick take over your account?

Vote praise the sun.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 am 
Site Admin

My take is this, if there were some way to get every call right and the games could be officiated perfectly, it might be worthwhile to take all the baggage that comes with stopping play for examination, etc. But since that's absolutely impossible and always will be, I'd rather avoid all the nonsense and just let 1.8% of the calls be bad instead of getting it down to .09% or whatever the numbers are.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Get the challenge part out of this. Have an eye in the sky make the right call. All sports.

Take control away form the asswipes on the field.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My take is this, if there were some way to get every call right and the games could be officiated perfectly, it might be worthwhile to take all the baggage that comes with stopping play for examination, etc. But since that's absolutely impossible and always will be, I'd rather avoid all the nonsense and just let 1.8% of the calls be bad instead of getting it down to .09% or whatever the numbers are.

I know you pulled that 1.8% out of your ass, the average game has what ? 275 pitches? I bet 10% are wrong..27-28 ...that's not even counting the plays on the bags.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I know you pulled that 1.8% out of your ass, the average game has what ? 275 pitches? I bet 10% are wrong..27-28 ...that's not even counting the plays on the bags.

I wasn't talking about pitches. Using a robot strikezone would radically change the game. Be careful whst you wish for.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:33 pm 

A strike is a strike ..a ball is a ball.. As intended, you were a big fan of that horseshit neighborhood play too..why do you like mediocrity? I hate umps changing games with huge strikezones or squeezing guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
A strike is a strike ..a ball is a ball.. As intended, you were a big fan of that horseshit neighborhood play too..why do you like mediocrity? I hate umps changing games with huge strikezones or squeezing guys.

The players have to adapt to the umpires strikezone. It doesnt favor one team. Why do you like perfection when you'll never be perfect?