It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insane David Ortiz stat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
~ every other hit for Ortiz in Fenway this season has been a double. HRs+2Bs+3Bs = 40/60 hits.

why would you pitch to this guy at Fenway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:30 pm 

If he gets one vote for the HOF from any voter who passes on Bonds/Palmeiro/etc., the farce that is HOF balloting should be terminated.

I'd argue that he's been worse for baseball than all of the other juicers. Unless you're a unabashedly hypocritical (read: typical) BoSox fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hussra wrote:
~ every other hit for Ortiz in Fenway this season has been a double. HRs+2Bs+3Bs = 40/60 hits.

why would you pitch to this guy at Fenway.

Because you are still more likely to get him out than not?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the problem is when he gets a hit at home, he's either scoring or more often than not in scoring position and out of GIDP position.

While it'd be ideal to get him out every at-bat, I'd rather have Ortiz standing on 1B after his at-bat than on 2B. Or 3B. Or home.

walking him 4x's a Fenway game prolly leads to Ortiz scoring fewer runs than pitching to him 4 times a Fenway game. Difficult for the hitters after him to GIDP when he's on 2nd. or for Ortiz to score all the way from 1B if the guy behind him gets a hit. Or for Ortiz to hit one over the short-fence in RF.

And he's not driving in too many guys off of walks. whereas doubles can score runners from any base.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
but they said steroids don't actually make you better...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Regular Reader wrote:
If he gets one vote for the HOF from any voter who passes on Bonds/Palmeiro/etc., the farce that is HOF balloting should be terminated.

I'd argue that he's been worse for baseball than all of the other juicers. Unless you're a unabashedly hypocritical (read: typical) BoSox fan.

nice take. i always thought it's going to be interesting to see how he fares with the inevitable HOF gambit/guillotine/etc because not only do you have the whole "yeah he's on roids b-but we actually like him" thing, but you've also got that "do DHs belong in the HOF?" argument as well. it's like opening up a can of worms to find a can of zika-mosquito-infested-shit inside.

for the record, i'm totally kicking myself in that one league where i had a choice between pujols and ortiz and i went with old mang albie. speaking of, i can't wait for the baseball good ol boys network to eventually "leak" some sort of steroids stuff for pujols in much the same way they did for sosa within a week of him saying "i've always been clean; i never failed a test; i'll sit back and wait for my call from the HOF"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 am 

Manny and Davidd Ortiz will knock down the door for rge roids guys