It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

What do you think attendance would look like if the White Sox only played 8 home games per season?

More Lynches on field

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

So why is total tickets sold an acceptable metric? You cite that as your number one reason why baseball is more popular. The exact same logic applies.

I've never cited that as the number one reason. It's just one piece of evidence. People are breaking down weeping because the fucking Cubs are going to the World Series. This is supposed to be a "Bears Town", but I don't remember anyone crying when the Bears won the NFC championship in '06. The emotions when it comes to baseball are just so much deeper and it's obvious. It's the American game, a thread running through most of our history. The modern NFL that started maybe some time in the late 60s/early 70s just can't match that regardless of how many people turn their TVs to it on fall Sundays.

These are all just your own projections. There are people that care deeply about other sports. You seem to think that just because you don't, no one else does.

No, I'm reading your posts. And those of many other big football fans and you're highly emotional about the Cubs in a way I've never seen any of you be when it comes to football.

I can promise you I was in '06. Plus, this is the Cubs. There's additional significance here not related to baseball. I'm personally emotional because I never thought this day would come.

It is related to baseball though. The history is part of the game. It informs how people connect to it and how they feel about it. That's the same reason why fans are infuriated with Bonds and McGwire assaulting records while juiced to the gills but they couldn't care less that the guy who holds the single season rushing record (whoever the fuck that is, I think maybe Dickerson) was loaded with PEDs.

I think the Cubs' particular story (no championships for over 100 years) and the "lovable losers" reputation skews things a bit here. The reaction is definitely going to be different under these historical circumstances. For instance I'm sure hardcore Blackhawks fans haven't been shedding many tears post-2009 every time they make it/win. The Bears thing was awesome but a great deal of current fans were around the last time they won, so it wasn't as emotional as last night.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Vegan's got it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
One more thing, It. Is. Not. Over. Yet!!!!!! So hard to tell. I was choked up and stunned last night. I think I will be a blubbering idiot if they win it all.
When the Hawks won in 2010 I was out of my mind. I was jumping up and down, my mom was on the phone we where yelling back and fourth. I mean general insanity.

If the Cubs do it all for me then I will have the complete Championship for my lifetime. All the teams I love and follow will have won a championship in my lifetime. Blackhawks, Cubs and Redskins(3 times eat that one Bears fans)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

So why is total tickets sold an acceptable metric? You cite that as your number one reason why baseball is more popular. The exact same logic applies.

I've never cited that as the number one reason. It's just one piece of evidence. People are breaking down weeping because the fucking Cubs are going to the World Series. This is supposed to be a "Bears Town", but I don't remember anyone crying when the Bears won the NFC championship in '06. The emotions when it comes to baseball are just so much deeper and it's obvious. It's the American game, a thread running through most of our history. The modern NFL that started maybe some time in the late 60s/early 70s just can't match that regardless of how many people turn their TVs to it on fall Sundays.

So you agree total tickets sold is a very bad metric?

Jorr, can I get a final answer on this?

JORR?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That 6-6 primetime game will certainly bring people back to the NFL! :roll:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm 

baseball is so much better that not one but two baseball hall of fame level talents said they would be spending the Sunday after the NLCS watching football all day

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
baseball is so much better that not one but two baseball hall of fame level talents said they would be spending the Sunday after the NLCS watching football all day

That's what was on TV. If they had gone to a Game 7 they would have spent the next day watching Dancing With The Stars.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Frank Coztansa wrote:
That 6-6 primetime game will certainly bring people back to the NFL! :roll:

I was shocked at that score. It doesn't seem possible nowadays in the Arena League atmosphere of the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
chaspoppcap wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

What do you think attendance would look like if the White Sox only played 8 home games per season?

More Lynches on field

Ed Lynch? John Lynch? Becky Lynch? Who are these Lynches?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

So you agree total tickets sold is a very bad metric?

Jorr, can I get a final answer on this?

JORR?
He's still around...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5