It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Football became a ratings hog because of gambling...plain and simple.

Perhaps... but that doesn't make it any less popular. If it weren't for gambling, sports like horse racing wouldn't even exist.
If only you could gamble on baseball maybe it would be more popular. Baseball should start having fantasy leagues.

Fantasy leagues were invented in baseball. They were too complex for football fans.
So people were gambling on baseball before football?

Also what do you think about the fact that nfl stadiums are filled at much higher capacities and by capacity percentage?

I'd say filling stadiums like that makes a good case they are more popular. Lots of empty seats in baseball.

There are only eight NFL games per season.
Why does that matter?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

What do you think attendance would look like if the White Sox only played 8 home games per season?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:04 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

What do you think attendance would look like if the White Sox only played 8 home games per season?

Would the eight games be in April? Probably about the same.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

That isn't an answer. Why does it matter that there are 8 home games a year in football and 81 in baseball in terms of comparing average attendance and capacity filled?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

That isn't an answer. Why does it matter that there are 8 home games a year in football and 81 in baseball in terms of comparing average attendance and capacity filled?

You can't have asked that seriously.

Supply and demand mean anything to you?

If the White Sox only had 480,000 seats to fill every season they'd do it easily.

If the Bears had to fill 3,483,000 seats every season? Not even fucking close.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Football became a ratings hog because of gambling...plain and simple.

Perhaps... but that doesn't make it any less popular. If it weren't for gambling, sports like horse racing wouldn't even exist.

That's not true either. I would think a guy from Central Illinois would know that almost every county has a fair with non-betting races.

The point is that horse racing popularity relies heavily on gambling. Does that make it any less popular to you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
It relies all on gambling. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 am 

IMU wrote:
It relies all on gambling. :lol:

I agree, but it's semantics.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Gambling on football is just easier than baseball...

-the layperson can easily keep track of games and scores.

-fewer games

-games played once a week

-winter sport is easier to follow with fewer outdoor activities and less daylight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I'm a Cub fan on account of television.

I'm a Raider fan on account of television.

I don't gamble.

You people are idiots.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 pm 

Lead story on ESPN right now is that Penn State beat Ohio State.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:17 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

The Cubs are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:29 am 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

If the White Sox only had 480,000 seats to fill every season they'd do it easily.

I prefer JORR answer. There is a big reason he won't though and he has Seacrested the answer multiple times.

Last edited by Brick on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:30 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Gambling on football is just easier than baseball...

-the layperson can easily keep track of games and scores.

-fewer games

-games played once a week

-winter sport is easier to follow with fewer outdoor activities and less daylight.

Score another positive for football! Thank you for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

I prefer JORR answer. There is a big reason he won't though and he has Seacrested the answer multiple times.

Actually, I didn't answer because the answer is obvious and you're just trying to BRick the argument. But IMU spelled out what you clearly already knew.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does that matter?

Actually, I didn't answer because the answer is obvious and you're just trying to BRick the argument. But IMU spelled out what you clearly already knew.
See.

So why is total tickets sold an acceptable metric? You cite that as your number one reason why baseball is more popular. The exact same logic applies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

So why is total tickets sold an acceptable metric? You cite that as your number one reason why baseball is more popular. The exact same logic applies.

I've never cited that as the number one reason. It's just one piece of evidence. People are breaking down weeping because the fucking Cubs are going to the World Series. This is supposed to be a "Bears Town", but I don't remember anyone crying when the Bears won the NFC championship in '06. The emotions when it comes to baseball are just so much deeper and it's obvious. It's the American game, a thread running through most of our history. The modern NFL that started maybe some time in the late 60s/early 70s just can't match that regardless of how many people turn their TVs to it on fall Sundays.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

I've never cited that as the number one reason. It's just one piece of evidence. People are breaking down weeping because the fucking Cubs are going to the World Series. This is supposed to be a "Bears Town", but I don't remember anyone crying when the Bears won the NFC championship in '06. The emotions when it comes to baseball are just so much deeper and it's obvious. It's the American game, a thread running through most of our history. The modern NFL that started maybe some time in the late 60s/early 70s just can't match that regardless of how many people turn their TVs to it on fall Sundays.

So you agree total tickets sold is a very bad metric?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

These are all just your own projections. There are people that care deeply about other sports. You seem to think that just because you don't, no one else does.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

These are all just your own projections. There are people that care deeply about other sports. You seem to think that just because you don't, no one else does.

No, I'm reading your posts. And those of many other big football fans and you're highly emotional about the Cubs in a way I've never seen any of you be when it comes to football.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

No, I'm reading your posts. And those of many other big football fans and you're highly emotional about the Cubs in a way I've never seen any of you be when it comes to football.

I can promise you I was in '06. Plus, this is the Cubs. There's additional significance here not related to baseball. I'm personally emotional because I never thought this day would come.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

I can promise you I was in '06. Plus, this is the Cubs. There's additional significance here not related to baseball. I'm personally emotional because I never thought this day would come.

It is related to baseball though. The history is part of the game. It informs how people connect to it and how they feel about it. That's the same reason why fans are infuriated with Bonds and McGwire assaulting records while juiced to the gills but they couldn't care less that the guy who holds the single season rushing record (whoever the fuck that is, I think maybe Dickerson) was loaded with PEDs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
See.

So you agree total tickets sold is a very bad metric?

Jorr, can I get a final answer on this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I also cried when the Blackhawks win the Cup in 2010.

The intensity of NHL and MLB playoff games, combined with a lifetime or more of frustration for very passionate fan bases just can't be met by the NFL or the NBA. Although, when the Bulls won their first, I was still playing a lot of ball and I was really into that team...That one was pretty emotional too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
I also cried when the Blackhawks win the Cup in 2010.

The intensity of NHL and MLB playoff games, combined with a lifetime or more of frustration for very passionate fan bases just can't be met by the NFL or the NBA. Although, when the Bulls won their first, I was still playing a lot of ball and I was really into that team...That one was pretty emotional too.

I'm not a hockey fan in the slightest, though of course I like the Hawks to win. But I'll say this, there is nothing in sports more intense than a sudden death game during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
In 06, I would have identified myself as a Bears fan first and foremost. I was excited, I was full of joy but it felt nothing like last night. I kept having to talk myself down from getting TOO high. Enjoy the journey but the Indians are a great team. Still need 4 more wins before I can just let loose and breakdown completely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

C(S)FMB: where posters' names beome verbs for bad-faith arguments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:20 am 

If brick an argument means be logically consistent then I'm cool with that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There were two mitigating factors in the Bears winning the NFC in '06. First, it was in the middle of a stretch where the NFC sucked ass (2004-200...8?), so there was really no deep-seated expectation that the Bears were going to win the Super Bowl -- they were probably only going to be a sacrificial lamb for the Colts or Patriots, especially with the way the Bears petered out over the course of the year from blowing everyone out to eking out wins in spite of their offense. Also, subconsciously, I think a lot of Bears fans felt they had all they ever needed with ***1985***, DA GREA-ISS FOOPBALL TEAMMA ALL TIMES, a spectre that still haunts Chicago to this day, so even something as big and cathartic as kicking the uber-favored narrative-riding New Orleans Saints right in the dick never felt like what it actually was, which was the best Bears team in a lot of fans' lifetimes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next