It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Whoa. Hot take.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Spaulding wrote:
I really want to punch baseball players in the nads when they talk about how grueling the schedule is and how hard life is. Piss off you little pansy.

This girl gets it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
They are home way more than my husband is, they get paid way more than my husband does, and their job is way easier than my husband's job. Baseball is boring as fuck about 95%+ of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
They are home way more than my husband is, they get paid way more than my husband does, and their job is way easier than my husband's job. Baseball is boring as fuck about 95%+ of the time.

You're not wrong

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 pm 

I'm rarely wrong, but I'm not right most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you want IMU to represent all baseball fans that is on you.

would "planet of the IMUs" be a better episode of star trek or the twilight zone? maybe we can even go with "black mirror" if you wanna be hip/now/looking-into-the-future?

"night of the posting IMU" = coming soon to a theatre near you! no children or adults under 6'1" will be admitted =P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

hahahah well said! i think i'm ready to take the plunge and "level up" to having my first ever spaulding sigquote!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:32 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Spaulding wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:08 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

I don't look like that. I feel misrepresented.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I don't look like that. I feel misrepresented.

no doubt if you went "all out" with a 'stache you'd send that dude back to style school =P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I think playoff baseball is fun as hell but i cant pay attention to the other 162 games. I think in football or even basketball when two heavyweights go at it during the middle of the season you get amped up but it's hard to feel that way (for me again) in like June when it's the cubs and dodgers or whatever. It's like yeah this is cool but we've still got two or three long ass months left. I don't know. Maybe I've got ADD.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:37 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I think playoff baseball is fun as hell but i cant pay attention to the other 162 games. I think in football or even basketball when two heavyweights go at it during the middle of the season you get amped up but it's hard to feel that way (for me again) in like June when it's the cubs and dodgers or whatever. It's like yeah this is cool but we've still got two or three long ass months left. I don't know. Maybe I've got ADD.

you know what it is? during the regular season baseball is some kind of a war of attrition; players who fail to get a hit ~70% of the time are still technically .300 hitters and all kinds of !!!, and then if you don't have some kind of a perpetual anchor-of-interest like, say, a fantasy baseball empire to oversee (read: all those day-to-day stats matter to you) then i can see how it's easy to get lose throughout the course of so many disposable games where like, you know, yeah you always try to win but in the end it's like "man we still have 50-100+ games to go so WGAF about today/tonight? we'll get 'em tomorrow!"

but then when the playoffs come around the # of games is suddenly limited to 1/5/7 (altho i still strain to call the newschool WC play-in game "the playoffs" as opposed to my preferred "mandatory game 163") and thus now every at bat becomes that much more !!!/of-paramount-importance, and you find yourself slowing down (along with the pace of the game, especially if it's an OBP-heavy team like the cubs or traditionally like the bosox/yankees) because now all of a sudden disposability is out the window due to the finite nature of the playoffs, and thus every pitch/at-bat/opportunity is that much more !!!!!!!!!!!!! than it was for the last 6+ months of the season.

TLDR = playoff baseball and regular season baseball are two differently animals because the "marathon" of 162 games = there's so much innate disposability with all of these little moves and ideas when you know that you've got a metric shit-ton of games left, however come playoff time all those little moves and ideas = HUGELY IMPORTANT AND THEREFORE SLOWED DOWN TO A PRESSURE-PACKED MOMENT (that joe buck is in the process of moutning like a sexual conquest because he's on a mission from god to end up with a legendary call akin to his dad's "GO CRAZY FOLKS! GO CRAZY!" =) --- so yeah basically playoff baseball = the shit if you're into the gradual buildup of some kind of enormous pressure that will instantly be allievated or doubled/tripled/quadrupled with each and every pitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:23 am 

Spaulding wrote:

This girl gets it.

Baseball is a nice day on the park in person.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

People are clearly emotionally attached to the Bears.

When was the last time you had a post deleted for your negativity against their quarterback?

Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence.

Compile enough anecdotes and it's data. Hank Scorpio is nervous. jimmypasta is anxious. Do they even know the Bears played last night?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but the popularity of football doesn't need compiled anecdotes. It has actual data to support its reign as most popular.

All it has is television ratings. And there are many reasons for that outside of popularity.

People masturbate more than they have sex. Do you also think jerking off reigns in popularity over fucking?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:

The fact that football only existed on Sunday and for a limited number of games made it seem "popular". You see now that they have games on other nights, it's taken the shine off of it. It's not EVENT SUNDAY, Spaulding make the chili, FavreFan is bringing a sixer of Spotted Cow, and leash is firing up the smoker anymore. It's just a game that I can watch many days of the week. Just like baseball. Except it gets a boost because people like to be outside doing many different things during baseball season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:10 am 

It has more than tv ratings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Like what? Less people go to the games. Of course, you'll say that's because there are less games, which is exactly why football has bigger TV ratings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Football became a ratings hog because of gambling...plain and simple.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Like what? Less people go to the games. Of course, you'll say that's because there are less games, which is exactly why football has bigger TV ratings.
Average capacity filled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The fact that football only existed on Sunday and for a limited number of games made it seem "popular". You see now that they have games on other nights, it's taken the shine off of it. It's not EVENT SUNDAY, Spaulding make the chili, FavreFan is bringing a sixer of Spotted Cow, and leash is firing up the smoker anymore. It's just a game that I can watch many days of the week. Just like baseball. Except it gets a boost because people like to be outside doing many different things during baseball season.

Thursday Night Football is especially bleak when you put it this way. Never mind that the games suck, but where's Spaulding's chili?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
All it has is television ratings. And there are many reasons for that outside of popularity.

People masturbate more than they have sex. Do you also think jerking off reigns in popularity over fucking?

What reasons? And the reasons can't just be you making up your own definition of popularity.

To your second point, I don't even know if it's true, but if it is, it'd be because many people literally don't have the option to have sex (mostly married people). That's a poor comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
GoldenJet wrote:

This girl gets it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 am 

GoldenJet wrote:

Perhaps... but that doesn't make it any less popular. If it weren't for gambling, sports like horse racing wouldn't even exist.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

This girl gets it.

I fail to see how that makes it "unpopular."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:53 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Perhaps... but that doesn't make it any less popular. If it weren't for gambling, sports like horse racing wouldn't even exist.
If only you could gamble on baseball maybe it would be more popular. Baseball should start having fantasy leagues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

That's not true either. I would think a guy from Central Illinois would know that almost every county has a fair with non-betting races.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

If only you could gamble on baseball maybe it would be more popular. Baseball should start having fantasy leagues.

Fantasy leagues were invented in baseball. They were too complex for football fans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Fantasy leagues were invented in baseball. They were too complex for football fans.
So people were gambling on baseball before football?

Also what do you think about the fact that nfl stadiums are filled at much higher capacities and by capacity percentage?

I'd say filling stadiums like that makes a good case they are more popular. Lots of empty seats in baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

So people were gambling on baseball before football?

Also what do you think about the fact that nfl stadiums are filled at much higher capacities and by capacity percentage?

I'd say filling stadiums like that makes a good case they are more popular. Lots of empty seats in baseball.

There are only eight NFL games per season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next