Hopefully.

Post subject: Re: MLB Lockout
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Does MLB retain the services of Bob Batterman? If so, then yes: he's been behind the NBA lockout, the NFL lockout, the NFL ref lockout, and the last two NHL lockouts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:00 pm 

I don't think there will be a lockout. They may not reach an agreement by Thursday but they will just extend the current agreement. I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
A near 10 billion dollar business threatening a lockout over not being to underpay poor Latin teenagers.

Baseball definitely is America's pastime :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Not sure if they would lock out. But they should reform a few things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The last stoppage cost them a shit load of fans and it took a really long time to recover... they'd be stupid to allow this to happen.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:18 pm 

MLB is indeed a Proskauer Rose client. There's gonna be a lockout. Say what you will about Bud Selig, but he learned the primacy of labor peace.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:25 pm 

Darkside wrote:
The last stoppage cost them a shit load of fans and it took a really long time to recover... they'd be stupid to allow this to happen.

The 2011 NBA and 2012 NHL lockouts saw eventual rebounds in support, unprecedented television contracts, and collective bargaining agreements that gave increased percentages of revenues to ownership (the NBA clawed back 6%, the NHL 7%). The owners who suffered the '94 strike are almost all cashed out or dead: August Busch, Steinbrenner, the Trib, Marge Schott, Charlie Jacobs, Ted Turner, Carl Pohlad, the Expos' consortium. But look who's still here: Jerry Reinsdorf, arguably the architect of the moves that pushed the union to strike.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Long term MLB would be better off with some cap system and uniform entry rules for players.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
pittmike wrote:
Long term MLB would be better off with some cap system and uniform entry rules for players.

I'm sorry your (team)'s poor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Peoria Matt wrote:

Don't need another season. #GrandFinale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:22 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Yeah, John Henry and the Steinbrenners would be better off, because the Red Sox and Yankees would continue to bring in millions of dollars every year but they wouldn't be compelled to spend so much of it. Thirty Jeffrey Lorias!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah, John Henry and the Steinbrenners would be better off, because the Red Sox and Yankees would continue to bring in millions of dollars every year but they wouldn't be compelled to spend so much of it. Thirty Jeffrey Lorias!

Salary caps usually have floors as well, thus eliminating any potential Lorias.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 pm 

It's not the absolute bare-bones spending I had in mind in citing Loria so much as payrolls that are still low enough to be covered by central revenue alone, which I believe the Marlins have done for several years even after getting an official scolding from the commissioner in 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:34 pm 

The luxury tax is what's holding everything up. They're having difficulty agreeing on the amount, how it should be calculated and the penalties for going over. Having a new commissioner and union chief isn't making things any easier. This damn thing may not get done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
There should only be 4 or 5 owners concerned about the luxury tax, wouldn't they be outnumbered 25-5 ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:34 pm 

The players don't want a luxury tax if it acts as a salary cap and holds down salaries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
There isn't the slightest chance in hell of there being a lockout, work stoppage, strike, or any other bullshit like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan)
9 mins ago - View on Twitter
Source: MLB and the MLBPA have agreed on a new collective-bargaining agreement. Labor peace in baseball will continue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:38 pm 

That sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
https://apnews.com/331d6e369c2147709dde ... ries-start

APNewsBreak: All-Star Game no longer determines Series start

By RONALD BLUM
Today
NEW YORK (AP) — The league that wins baseball's All-Star Game no longer will get home-field advantage in the World Series, which instead will go to the pennant winner with the better regular-season record.

The change was included in Major League Baseball's tentative new collective bargaining agreement and disclosed early Thursday to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the agreement. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the deal, reached Wednesday evening in Irving, Texas, had not been announced.

In addition, players and management agreed the minimum stay on the disabled list will be reduced from 15 days to 10.

Home-field advantage in the World Series generally rotated between the leagues through 2002. Baseball, led by then-Commissioner Bud Selig, and Fox television promoted the "This Time It Counts" innovation after the 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee ended in a 7-7, 11-inning tie when both teams ran out of pitchers. Selig was booed in his own Milwaukee backyard.

"This energizes it. This gives them something to really play for," Selig said after owners approved the change by a 30-0 vote in January 2003. "People pay a lot of money to see that game. They deserve to see the same intensity they see all year long. Television people pay a lot of money for the game. It was not and should not be a meaningless exhibition game."

What began as a two-year experiment was extended. The American League won 11 of 14 All-Star Games played under the rule, and the AL representative won eight World Series in those years.

"It will put back a little of the sizzle," San Francisco Giants executive Larry Baer said in 2003.

As part of the changes for next year, players in the All-Star Game will have the incentive to play for a pool of money.

The DL change will allow teams to make quicker decisions on whether to bring up a roster replacement rather than wait to see whether the injured player would be ready to return to action in less than two weeks.

An international play plan is part of the new agreement that includes a payment schedule for potential games in Asia, Mexico, Latin America and Britain, plus U.S.-based special events such as this year's July 3 game between Atlanta and Miami in a specially built ballpark on a military base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
https://apnews.com/331d6e369c2147709dde04ae7f0507b1/APNewsBreak:-All-Star-Game-no-longer-determines-Series-start

APNewsBreak: All-Star Game no longer determines Series start

By RONALD BLUM
Today
NEW YORK (AP) — The league that wins baseball's All-Star Game no longer will get home-field advantage in the World Series, which instead will go to the pennant winner with the better regular-season record.

The change was included in Major League Baseball's tentative new collective bargaining agreement and disclosed early Thursday to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the agreement. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the deal, reached Wednesday evening in Irving, Texas, had not been announced.

In addition, players and management agreed the minimum stay on the disabled list will be reduced from 15 days to 10.

Home-field advantage in the World Series generally rotated between the leagues through 2002. Baseball, led by then-Commissioner Bud Selig, and Fox television promoted the "This Time It Counts" innovation after the 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee ended in a 7-7, 11-inning tie when both teams ran out of pitchers. Selig was booed in his own Milwaukee backyard.

"This energizes it. This gives them something to really play for," Selig said after owners approved the change by a 30-0 vote in January 2003. "People pay a lot of money to see that game. They deserve to see the same intensity they see all year long. Television people pay a lot of money for the game. It was not and should not be a meaningless exhibition game."

What began as a two-year experiment was extended. The American League won 11 of 14 All-Star Games played under the rule, and the AL representative won eight World Series in those years.

"It will put back a little of the sizzle," San Francisco Giants executive Larry Baer said in 2003.

As part of the changes for next year, players in the All-Star Game will have the incentive to play for a pool of money.

The DL change will allow teams to make quicker decisions on whether to bring up a roster replacement rather than wait to see whether the injured player would be ready to return to action in less than two weeks.

An international play plan is part of the new agreement that includes a payment schedule for potential games in Asia, Mexico, Latin America and Britain, plus U.S.-based special events such as this year's July 3 game between Atlanta and Miami in a specially built ballpark on a military base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Advantage to the National League right now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Doesn't this benefit both league's?

The AS game rule sucked, and the 10 day DL rule is a nice improvement as well. I also heard they are building in 4 more off days during the season, and there will be MANY more day games on getaway days (Fuck you, Baltimore) which is good for everyone.

I would like to see them go to a 27 man roster, with only 25 active for each game. Obviously your two inactives would be starting pitchers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:

The AS game rule sucked, and the 10 day DL rule is a nice improvement as well. I also heard they are building in 4 more off days during the season, and there will be MANY more day games on getaway days (Fuck you, Baltimore) which is good for everyone.

I would like to see them go to a 27 man roster, with only 25 active for each game. Obviously your two inactives would be starting pitchers.

If the Cubs and Red Sox had made the World Series this season and you look at the records of the teams they played, do you really think the Cubs deserve the home field based on a "better" record? This only makes sense if everyone plays the same schedule. It would have been better to simply return to alternating years or to award home field to the league that had the better record in interleague play. For the next few seasons at least it will be very difficult for the AL team to have the home field advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Until they address the DH (one way or the other), it will never be a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

If the Cubs and Red Sox had made the World Series this season and you look at the records of the teams they played, do you really think the Cubs deserve the home field based on a "better" record? This only makes sense if everyone plays the same schedule. It would have been better to simply return to alternating years or to award home field to the league that had the better record in interleague play. For the next few seasons at least it will be very difficult for the AL team to have the home field advantage.

What sports league plays the same schedule? It's never fair.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 am 

Best sports league in America right now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Killer V wrote:
Until they address the DH (one way or the other), it will never be a fair comparison.

I agree. Once interleague play began the rules should have been standardized. But I do find it somewhat amusing that in one conversation the NL fan will insist the DH is an advantage for the AL (which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to be your implication) and in the next conversation the same guy will tell you how complicated the NL game is and how the managers in the NL run circles around AL managers.