It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
walkrman5 wrote:
312player wrote:
Apologist wrote:
I posted this elsewhere, but it deserves a topic.

It looks like Raines might get in, in his 10th year of eligibility. Bagwell is likely to get in. Pudge may be 1st-ballot, and known 'roiders Clemens and Bonds support is growing every year. It appears the electorate is changing, as some of these old fucks retire. Somebody named Bill Livingston submitted a blank ballot. Edgar is gaining support in his 8th year, have to think he'll eventually be in. Vlad is very close to being first-ballot. Oh, and they still hate Sosa :lol:

BBHOF Tracker

Im no Sosa fan but I can't understand the Clemens love while harboring the hatred for Sosa, they both were juiced up phonies that don't belong in the HOF.

Bagwell? Pudge Rodriguez? Piazza is in. Others are probably in too that (probably) juiced. How do you..or anyone really know other than those that have been caught / suspended. I'm not pro-Sosa by any means. I forget...did Palmeiro ever test positive? Sosa did not officially...although reports of the "secret" testing had his name on it as one who did. Whatever....the whole thing is pretty much a joke. I'm of the believe now..."Put em all in" if their numbers & careers deserve it. If it was during the roid era ...acknowledge it.

I wouldn't put Bagwell, Rodriguez or Piazza in either. The only juicer I'd put in was Bonds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Jorge Posada looks like he will be booted from the ballot on his first attempt, and that's atrocious for a group that includes Jim Rice in its Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Weak class.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Schilling lost 7% of the voting bloc because at 49 he started sharing racist memes on Facebook. That's great. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Schilling lost 7% of the voting bloc because at 49 he started sharing racist memes on Facebook. That's great. :lol:

That is unfortunate if that's the reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:

That is unfortunate if that's the reason.

Hard to think of another reason he became a worse player.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza

This and Barry Bonds, a baseball immortal, still not getting elected pretty much renders the hall of fame useless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
It's a museum. I do enjoy following the voting, partially because I like to hear some of the linguistic gymnastics that writers like to use to describe their rationales, and partially because this time of year there generally is absolutely nothing else going on in baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:07 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jorge Posada looks like he will be booted from the ballot on his first attempt, and that's atrocious for a group that includes Jim Rice in its Hall of Fame.

Posada was a very good catcher for a long time and he played an important position on a lot of great teams, but he just isn't a Hall of Famer. No way he was as impactful as Jim Rice.

Jim Rice has become a whipping boy because of WAR/the fascination with the walk. It's no different than lamenting the fact that Lou Whitaker isn't a Hall of Famer and Reggie Jackson is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 am 

Jim Rice is a funny case. He was a very good player that I loved to see when I was younger. That said there is a reason it took a long time for him to get into the HOF. His numbers just looking at them old school are not phenomenal. He hit .298 but did not get 1500 RBIs or 500 HR. One interesting thing was he has more RBI the Ks. If not for Boston I think he may not be in.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:43 am 

it gets harder every year now to enjoy the MLB HOF.

meanwhile, in the NFL, it's like seeing old friends again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 am 

I don't get the Pudge Rodriguez hate. He's the best catcher of his generation. Definite HOF material.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Jim Rice is a funny case. He was a very good player that I loved to see when I was younger. That said there is a reason it took a long time for him to get into the HOF. His numbers just looking at them old school are not phenomenal. He hit .298 but did not get 1500 RBIs or 500 HR. One interesting thing was he has more RBI the Ks. If not for Boston I think he may not be in.

He really only has 14 seasons. That's a little short for a guy to put up those big counting stats. From '77 through the mid-80s he was one of the best offensive players in the game, arguably the best over that stretch. There are only a handful of guys in that argument. I think that's enough. But now we're using new aggregate numbers that overvalue the walk to rewrite history so that Darrell Porter is now better than Tony Perez.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
I don't get the Pudge Rodriguez hate. He's the best catcher of his generation. Definite HOF material.

He's considered a juicer. And still he was short on power for a premium catcher. I also think he wasn't a pitcher's favorite, too much moving around, too many mound visits, too many pointless throws to bases. But a top defensive catcher who hit about .300 over a long career, unless you're taking a stance that he was a roid guy, I don't see how you could keep him out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

He really only has 14 seasons. That's a little short for a guy to put up those big counting stats. From '77 through the mid-80s he was one of the best offensive players in the game, arguably the best over that stretch. There are only a handful of guys in that argument. I think that's enough. But now we're using new aggregate numbers that overvalue the walk to rewrite history so that Darrell Porter is now better than Tony Perez.

People that have not watched baseball as long as we have or are lazy are the ones that seem to do this.

-Ronald Reagan