Post subject: Marlins sold for $1.6B?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Guess that makes the Cubs worth $1T.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I don't think you're doing your math properly.

The Cubs ought to be worth at least triple what the Marlins are worth...which would be $4.8bil. A trillion is one thousand billion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I don't think you're doing your math properly.

The Cubs ought to be worth at least triple what the Marlins are worth...which would be $4.8bil. A trillion is one thousand billion.

You sure your math is right? Never mind my mistake.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
JERRY would be lucky to sell for a cool $100 million because he doesnt own STATE OF IL RATE PARK !!

Of course, FRANK will chime in to say how the Sox will never move to Vegas?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
:lol:

While righting about the 4 types of eggs that JUAN made for him and his IDIOT FRIENDS. its all the SAME eggs!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Loria's out? Holy fuck this should be an international holiday!! #Expocide

Last edited by sinicalypse on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Sox should be worth at least $250M.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
Sox should be worth at least $250M.
No! Not even a question. Non - NEgeotiable item.

NEXT!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

It really shows you how stupid Sam Zell and the Tribune Company was. I think Rickets bought them for 800k. If the Marlins can go for 1.6 billion, the Cubs are worth at least 2.8 billion if not more.

So rickets made 2 billion in value in just 8 or 9 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Beardown wrote:
It really shows you how stupid Sam Zell and the Tribune Company was. I think Rickets bought them for 800k. If the Marlins can go for 1.6 billion, the Cubs are worth at least 2.8 billion if not more.

Zell is a horrible businessman. He'll be President in 2024.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 am 

Beardown wrote:

Almost everyone believes this number is not close unless it's an LA Clippers situation where a guy with huge money just wants a team as a toy.

Ricketts probably didn't really do a great job with the money in terms of an investment. They bought at a time when they could have made a killing in other investments and they also took on a lot of debt and had to go as far as selling part of the team in order to get money. They would probably be lucky to get much more than $2 billion for the team and there is always the growing danger of the sports team value bubble bursting.

If you look at almost all of the recent big sports team sales it was basically guys that were buying the team as a luxury item to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am 

Beardown wrote:

I believe it was 900 million and the Cubs invested at least 500 million into facilities

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I believe it was 900 million and the Cubs invested at least 500 million into facilities

But he also owns Wrigey Field outright. I think the Red Sox owner is the only other one to own their stadium.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
But he also owns Wrigey Field outright. I think the Red Sox owner is the only other one to own their stadium.

Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, Blue Jays

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Next time you want to bitch about your team's management, let us revisit the Loria Reign of Godawful, summarized beautifully in this article:

The Miami Marlins Are A Hilarious Disgrace

Jack Dickey
11/13/12

Here is what has happened in the last year of the Miami Marlins, formerly d/b/a Florida Marlins: They swindled the citizens of Miami for a new stadium and drew the SEC’s notice. They filched Jose Reyes from a franchise that has actual fans but no money and a municipal government that refuses to be robbed blind. They threw money at Heath Bell, Mark Buehrle, and Albert Pujols, and two of the three took it. They got fish installed behind home plate. Their president called Miamians stupid. They installed a wack-ass home run sculpture. Their snobbish owner blabbed about Joan Miro. Their owner then trotted out a shaking Muhammad Ali to shield him from boos on opening night. Their owner then baked himself a fucking cake with jewels on it. Ozzie Guillen, whom they honest-to-god hired to manage their baseball team, said some crazy shit about Fidel Castro, which he does, from time to time. The Marlins then suspended him to placate area Cubans. The mollified Cubans still had no interest in going to see the Marlins, because they are the fucking Marlins. The team stank out of the gate, especially Heath Bell. They complained about not having any All-Stars. Showtime canceled its series about them because they sucked so much. John Buck flipped you off. Heath Bell and Ozzie Guillen got in a pissing match. No one came to the games. The extant fans were hilariously pissed off. The team ate $8 million to dump Heath Bell. They ate less to dump Ozzie Guillen. They replaced Ozzie with a guy who spends his leisure time naked. Then they traded Reyes, Josh Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio, Buck, and Buehrle to the Blue Jays. Giancarlo Stanton, their only remaining player of note, a young dynamo who deserves far better, says he’s pissed off. He should be. Fuck the Marlins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Beardown wrote:

Ricketts bought them in July 2009 for 900m and has put another several hundred million into the team/Wrigley. If he had put all that money into the stock market, he'd probably have made more:

July 2009 to now:
Dow up 144%
S&P up 158%
Nasdaq up 221%

Of course, he wouldn't have been able to lead the Cubs WS parade by buying Nasdaq stocks.

I'll bet if you asked Zell today if he regrets selling when he did, he'd probably say no.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Not only has the team nearly tripled in value since Ricketts purchased the team, the Cubs are the most profitable team in the league.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Ricketts bought them in July 2009 for 900m and has put another several hundred million into the team/Wrigley. If he had put all that money into the stock market, he'd probably have made more:

July 2009 to now:
Dow up 144%
S&P up 158%
Nasdaq up 221%

Of course, he wouldn't have been able to lead the Cubs WS parade by buying Nasdaq stocks.

I'll bet if you asked Zell today if he regrets selling when he did, he'd probably say no.

Yeah. But I was just talking about the value of the Cubs. He also gets what the Cubs clear every year. And I'm sure the Cubs cleared at least 50 million this past year. And the profit margin is only going to go up in the coming years. Especially when they get their own Cubs network and the fact that the ticket prices will be raised every year for the next 5 or 7 years at least.