It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/06/mike- ... a-phillies

John Tayler, SI wrote:
People, we've been over this before. When you feel the urge to ask an old baseball player what they think about the sport nowadays, just walk away and do something—anything—else, because all you're going to get is some warmed-over and casually racist nonsense about Playing The Game The Right Way.

I'm conflicted over this. The focus is not on that is almost more on Schmidt's age (and level of education) than his race, and that bothers me. Please be quiet, old man, and die off already.

If the guy is not learning English or pretending he can't speak it (a la Magglio), then fine, but it's weird for Schmidt to assume that he's not going to learn it. Maybe he's not; I don't know because none of the articles I read followed up on this.

Yet in this article, the writer essentializes white MLB players the same way Schmidt essentialized Herrera.

I hate to be this guy. But the arguments today over Schmidt (I got out of the car just as Bernstein was hinting at it) are awful and based on some sort of moral system that I don't understand. Such surface level analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Can't wait for former Phil Curt Schilling to chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Apologetics
Ya'll need to give these bigots a chance. It ain't their fault that they're wrong - it's society's.

At the end of the day, you are solely responsible for your success and your failure. As long as you blame others for the reason you aren't where you want to be, you will always be a failure, because others got in your way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 pm 

And Jerry Remy has shared some thoughts tonight on the english language.

https://streamable.com/s9g11

Last edited by Matches Malone on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:

:lol: Or Steve Carlton:

Quote:
He sure is strange, though. That is evident from his comments that are quoted in an article in the April issue of Philadelphia magazine, the same article that gave rise to charges that Carlton is anti-Semitic. The comments, in turn, give rise to the feeling that the world was better off all of those years when Carlton was pitching and not talking.

According to Pat Jordan, the writer of the article, Carlton alternately said that the world is ruled or controlled by the Russian and United States Governments, which "fill the air with low-frequency sound waves," the Elders of Zion, British intelligence agencies, "12 Jewish bankers meeting in Switzerland" and "a committee of 300 which meets at a roundtable in Rome."

Not only that, but Carlton also charges, according to Jordan, that President Clinton has "a black son" he won't acknowledge and that the AIDS virus was created at a secret Maryland biological warfare laboratory "to get rid of gays and blacks."

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/14/sport ... rlton.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Quote:
He sure is strange, though. That is evident from his comments that are quoted in an article in the April issue of Philadelphia magazine, the same article that gave rise to charges that Carlton is anti-Semitic. The comments, in turn, give rise to the feeling that the world was better off all of those years when Carlton was pitching and not talking.

According to Pat Jordan, the writer of the article, Carlton alternately said that the world is ruled or controlled by the Russian and United States Governments, which "fill the air with low-frequency sound waves," the Elders of Zion, British intelligence agencies, "12 Jewish bankers meeting in Switzerland" and "a committee of 300 which meets at a roundtable in Rome."

Not only that, but Carlton also charges, according to Jordan, that President Clinton has "a black son" he won't acknowledge and that the AIDS virus was created at a secret Maryland biological warfare laboratory "to get rid of gays and blacks."

Let's add Pete Rose, Lenny Dykstra and Mitch Williams to list of Philly voices we need to hear from.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
And Jerry Remy has shared some thoughts tonight on the english language.

https://streamable.com/s9g11

Never saw that...interesting. Didn't the government fire a bunch of translators because they were gay? Maybe they could get work in the big leagues...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:09 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Quote:

Let's add Pete Rose, Lenny Dykstra and Mitch Williams to list of Philly voices we need to hear from.

Bake McBride was pretty cool, though. Bigger afro than Carlton, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:33 am 

The truth is that the game of baseball and its future belong to players like Herrera. It belongs to players from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela and Puerto Rico and Mexico and Japan and South Korea and a dozen other countries developing talent. Their style of play, their exuberance, their excitement will carry the sport into its next age

I've seen this type of language used in several instances, supposedly in defense of Latin baseball players and as a denouncement against cultural bigotry. Do these people not realize that these generalizations of all Latin ballplayers are also perpetuating a stereotype?

You never hear the defenders say something like "those incredibly intelligent Latin players who have been learning the game more intensely since their youth". It is always the fun loving, athletic, musical Latin player whose "unencumbered" bliss should not be disturbed by horrible white americans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I agree with you GD, but it's just that you have predominantly white American baseball players bitching about playing the game the right way whenever a Latin guy wants to show any emotion after a big play.

That right way shit is so narrow minded. Bryce Harper was right when he said the game is boring to a lot of fans because of the old school curmudgeon way of thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
I agree with you GD, but it's just that you have predominantly white American baseball players bitching about playing the game the right way whenever a Latin guy wants to show any emotion after a big play.

That right way shit is so narrow minded. Bryce Harper was right when he said the game is boring to a lot of fans because of the old school curmudgeon way of thinking.

There are so many different cultures that fall under the umbrella of "Latin baseball player" that is ridiculous to attribute a style to them. A Cuban is not a Venezualan and for every Bautista there is an Abreu.

It is being portrayed along racial/ethnic lines when it is much more likely an age gap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

There are so many different cultures that fall under the umbrella of "Latin baseball player" that is ridiculous to attribute a style to them. A Cuban is not a Venezualan and for every Bautista there is an Abreu.

It is being portrayed along racial/ethnic lines when it is much more likely an age gap.

Could have sworn I saw Ian Kinsler bitching about the Puerto Rican "exuberance" in the WBC. Then again, he is probably over 35 at this point right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Age is definitely a part of it. It certainly explains generational attitudes, which always, at least in the US, shift, but I also don't think that a guy's age should automatically render his comments as suspect. Point to the generation (which is contextual, and something you can argue about with evidence) rather than his age. Or point to the fact that the guy has always been a prick.

Besides, Schmidt was one of the greatest players ever to play the game*, so it's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

* Note: Had the Cubs not existed, Schmidt's power numbers probably would have been closer to those of Ron Cey.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I hope Speigs or Danny ask Wilson Contreras about Schmidt's comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:16 pm 

Opponents thought Santo was showing them up when he exuberantly clicked his heels.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Age is definitely a part of it. It certainly explains generational attitudes, which always, at least in the US, shift, but I also don't think that a guy's age should automatically render his comments as suspect. Point to the generation (which is contextual, and something you can argue about with evidence) rather than his age. Or point to the fact that the guy has always been a prick.

Besides, Schmidt was one of the greatest players ever to play the game*, so it's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

* Note: Had the Cubs not existed, Schmidt's power numbers probably would have been closer to those of Ron Cey.

I could have added Mike Schmidt to the post of things that scared me as a child. George Foster as a Met/late Red too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Michael Jack Schmidt better stay away from Evergreen State unless he wants his skull crushed by a Louisville Slugger.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I hope Speigs or Danny ask Wilson Contreras about Schmidt's comments.

Wilson Contreras has no idea who Mike Schmidt even is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Which Lakemoor Fest is that pic from?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Which Lakemoor Fest is that pic from?

How bout soom foon?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
DannyB wrote:

5, 3, 2, 4, Death.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:

Bryce Harper is a douchebag.

I don't have an opinion on the "right way" to play baseball. You want to flip your bat, knock yourself out.
But I'm not part of the culture either.

The thing I find amusing though is the arrogance of the young guy who seems to think he'll never get old and do and say the same type of shit the old guy he is complaining about does.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That article was bullshit. Basically said the same thing about Ventura this year. That he struggled because he did not speak Spanish. If you can't talk to half of your team it makes it difficult to be a vocal leader. This is controversial?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:31 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I don't have an opinion on the "right way" to play baseball. You want to flip your bat, knock yourself out.

The thing I find amusing though is the arrogance of the young guy who seems to think he'll never get old and do and say the same type of shit the old guy he is complaining about does.

Jesus. Eat a snickers old man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

And his point is proven. Good work.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

And his point is proven. Good work.

I'm old as dirt. What are you talking about?