It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The on field interviews have gone well. So far so good. Harper was great.

Last edited by Hockey Gay on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Happy to see Cozart get a hit. Fans did a good job.

Yup. They did a good job not voting Bryant in.

I know you're trolling but they did the right thing voting Arenado over Bryant. Bryant earned a spot on the roster though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
You spent your entire life playing baseball and are now playing in the All Star game. Instead of letting you enjoy this potentially once in a lifetime opportunity , we're going to mic you up and force you to talk to Joe Buck.

What? You do understand that FOX pays MLB a lot of money. The players benefit from that money. They've all agreed to cooperate in an all star game because it's a show and the players want to help. Bigger ratings means more money for the next FOX contract. Which means more money for the players.

Plus exposure for the players helps their personal brand. So if people see them on this big stage it helps them. So they smile and do the interview in a game that doesn't matter.

All this mic'd up interview stuff is for the kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
You spent your entire life playing baseball and are now playing in the All Star game. Instead of letting you enjoy this potentially once in a lifetime opportunity , we're going to mic you up and force you to talk to Joe Buck.

What? You do understand that FOX pays MLB a lot of money. The players benefit from that money. They've all agreed to cooperate in an all star game because it's a show and the players want to help. Bigger ratings means more money for the next FOX contract. Which means more money for the players.

Plus exposure for the players helps their personal brand. So if people see them on this big stage it helps them. So they smile and do the interview in a game that doesn't matter.

All this mic'd up interview stuff is for the kids.

Beardown doesn't understand this. MONETIZE.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SpiralStairs wrote:

Pretty sure they could've said 'no thanks' if they did not want to participate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Don Tiny wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

This shit is prearranged before the game. The players know they're gonna be interviewed while on deck. You guys are stupid if you don't understand that.

It's not like it was "Holy shit, why is this dude sticking a mic in my face before I go to home plate?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:40 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

This shit is prearranged before the game. The players know they're gonna be interviewed while on deck. You guys are stupid if you don't understand that.

It's not like it was "Holy shit, why is this dude sticking a mic in my face before I go to home plate?"

Ehhhh, like Tiny said. They could have said "no thanks". The fuck you going on about?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Adam Scott looking very much into this game. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hockey Gay wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Ehhhh, like Tiny said. They could have said "no thanks". The fuck you going on about?

The ones that didn't want to do it told them before the game. Obviously. It's not like the guys that do the interview were shocked that they got approached for an interview.

You guys aren't very smart.

This is a FOX production. Everybody knows their role before the game starts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 pm 

Well that's some really compelling TV.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 pm 

Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Does Jason Goff know about all this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

SpiralStairs wrote:
Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

BEERDOWN: Probably not, cuz he's a dumb ass. Think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm 

That was kinda funny.

100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: Cruz

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Beardown wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

BEERDOWN: Probably not, cuz he's a dumb ass. Think about it.

Who is Beerdown?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

Avi hit that right on the screws.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 pm 

That guy kinda looks like if Laurence and FrAjent had a kid together.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

I don't think I've ever heard a slower or more off-key version of God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm 

as if that "tradition" isn't nauseating enough. i think he invented a new "most annoying sound in the world".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard a slower or more off-key version of God Bless America

Bryant would have sung it better

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Just tuned in. Any good sideline interviews?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Bryant would have sung it better

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Just tuned in. Any good sideline interviews?

This guy with the realest beard I ever saw set another guy wrapped in tin foil on fire at the costume ball, and Alan Thicke made an awesome joke at their expense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
That's fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
It really is that kind of year, huh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm 

Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... 93/277729/

Agree with this article a little . . . but I think many other factors were involved.

The Sad Decline of the MLB All-Star Game Began in 1993

TheAtlantic wrote:

When the National League and American League teams take the field at Major League Baseball's All-Star Game on Tuesday, the game, as they say in the marketing campaigns, will count; the league whose team wins gains home field advantage in the World Series.

But among fans, MLB struggles to keep the game relevant. Once considered the best among the American sports beauty pageants, the All-Star Game's TV ratings have steadily declined over the years, from an all-time high of 28.5 in 1970 to 9.5 for its fateful 2002 game (more on that later) to an all-time low of 6.8 last year.

Why? What went wrong with baseball's mid-summer classic?

Perhaps it was the dissolution of the American and National leagues as separate entities in 2000, diminishing the pride factor for each side, save for name only. Interleague play, which began in 1997, has also been blamed, reducing the rarity of seeing stars from each league compete against each other.

But 20 years ago, one event, one ballpark, and one city may have led to the demise of baseball's All-Star Game. The 1993 game at Camden Yards in Baltimore, the most dramatic 9-3 American League victory the game has ever seen, created a controversy that may have negatively affected the way future managers would approach the All-Star game.

When the American League and National League All-Star teams met on July 13, 1993, Toronto Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston was the American League skipper, and though he was the home team manager in an American League ballpark, he was in enemy territory. The Orioles-Blue Jays rivalry was hot, with the Orioles chasing the defending World Series-champion Blue Jays in the American League East. Three Toronto players had already been voted to the starting squad by fans, and Gaston named four more of his players to the team, meaning 25 percent of the AL roster consisted of his players. Cal Ripken had been voted to the starting team, and the only other Oriole player selected was pitcher Mike Mussina. Orioles fans cried foul at the roster makeup—and they would do more than that when the game ended.

With the AL leading 8-3 in the seventh inning, Gaston bypassed Mussina and put in Jeff Montgomery. The AL added another run in the bottom of the inning for a 9-3 lead, and Gaston passed over Mussina again, opting instead to go with Rick Aguilera.

As the top of the ninth began, rumblings went through the ballpark. Surely Gaston would give the hometown fans a chance to see Mussina in such a lop-sided game? But Gaston brought in his own closer, Toronto's Duane Ward, to pitch the ninth inning.

The fans booed when they saw Ward come into the game. Then all hell broke loose when Mussina got up to warm up in the bullpen. They showed him warming up on the JumboTron, and the ballpark was filled with chants of "We want Mike."

Gaston, though, had no intention of using Mussina. "I would have put Mussina in the game if it went to extra innings," he told reporters after the game. "But I didn't have any intention of letting him finish the game."

The game ended with a 9-3 AL win and the American League team being booed off the field by the sold-out crowd. Then, as Mussina walked in from the bullpen, he waved to the crowd as they cheered his walk from the bullpen to the clubhouse. It may have been the most bizarre ending in All-Star Game history.

Orioles president Larry Lucchino told reporters after the game he was "outraged." His general manager, Roland Hemond, said, "Why you can't get Mike Mussina into a 9-3 game is beyond me."

Mussina said he got up to warm up on his own, not to show up Gaston, but to get some work for his start the next day. But he also reacted to Gaston's explanation for not using him by saying, "You can make that excuse if you want, but it was a 9-3 game."

The furor continued for days. The talk shows in Baltimore were flooded with angry calls targeting Gaston, and kicked off the T-shirt campaign, "Cito Sucks." Orioles announcer Jon Miller declared, "After all the efforts the people of this city put forth this week, to have Cito Gaston do something like this was like he was thumbing his nose at the city of Baltimore."Gaston said he feared for his safety when he returned to Camden Yards. "Maybe I'll have a shotgun strapped to my leg," he said.

The controversy raged until the Orioles went to Toronto two weeks later, and Mussina apologized to Gaston. But it didn't end there.

In 2002, the All-Star Game crumbled before baseball commissioner Bud Selig's eyes, right in his hometown of Milwaukee. The game ended with the embarrassing scene of Selig conferring with American League manager Joe Torre and National League skipper Bob Brenly after 11 innings of play, a 7-7 tie, and no more players to use. Selig called the game a tie, and the decision rocked baseball.

Selig has insisted that the 2002 All-Star tie debacle was a result of what happened in Baltimore in 1993. "The game had slipped," Selig told reporters in 2005. "I think in 1993, it started to slip. When Mike Mussina didn't get in the game in Baltimore and Cito Gaston got booed. It was very ugly."

The 1993 All-Star Game changed the way managers handled using players: Fearing that they would suffer the same wrath Gaston did for not using Mussina with the hometown fans looking on, managers were careful to create rotations that could showcase every one of the fans' favorites—leading to the game where they ran out of players.

Today, managers still seem to operate under the premise that they had better get every player in the game, or else face criticism like Gaston did 20 years ago. And the game has suffered for it. So if you're not happy with the state of baseball's All-Star Game, blame it on Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My roommate and a kid down the hall were both Baltimore area kids and they bitched about this anytime the Blue Jays came up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Let anyone re-enter the all-star game whenever they want. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 pm 

In case any Cubs fan had any doubt, the season is over. Smh.