It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: This Dodgers thing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
But that's all it is. It's just how you feel. The reality says otherwise.

The reality is I like it better when it's premier teams. There is no arguing that. Its just fact.

You're talking about popularity. Different discussion. Although Id guess the teams I mentioned all get great ratings.

Right, and all the leagues don't see ratings suffer even slightly when those teams are awful. So... no team is special.

Special is subjective and its pretty silly to try and quantify it.

No team is necessary for ratings would be less ridiculous. But it's still a straw man as I never said or suggested any league would suffer with worse teams. I just said it's better with premier teams, which most people would agree with.

Just a quick look at TV ratings. Of the last 5 Spurs final appearances, the national tv ratings were a significant drop from the previous year. Lakers have opposite effect. Because people like premier teams.

That last part is cherry picking pretty heavily. The same would normally be said about the Cavaliers and Warriors except last three Finals have gotten great ratings. But the ratings thing isn't really debatable as you conceded. So I guess we just disagree about how we feel. I do think it's odd though that you want a bunch of teams you aren't a fan of to do well. Are you sure you aren't Justin Bieber?

Cherry picking? Its 5 seasons across 20 years from the two teams in question. Its valid.

Premier teams get better ratings. Are you really saying they dont?

And no, Im not rooting for these teams until my team is out. But yea, me and most sports fans would take Dodgers-Red Sox over Rockies-Rays or Lakers vs Bulls over Grizzlies and Nets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
RFDC wrote:
They look unstoppable. Where did this Bellinger kid come from? I don't remember hearing anything about him and then boom he is killing it.

If I were a Dodger fan I would be a lil scared that they are peaking too early.

He was between 30-50 on most prospect lists in 2016.

I would think that the relative success of Joc Pederson and the stardom of Corey Seager would have caused the baseball world to look more closely at future Dodgers prospects, but maybe Urias was anointed as the next big one and Bellinger flew under the radar a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am 

FavreFan wrote:
You're changing the argument now. Big market teams are going to outdraw small market teams traditionally. That's just a matter of math. But ratings pretty consistently show that it doesn't really matter whether certain teams are good or bad, regardless of which team that is. The NFL is fine when the Cowboys and Raiders are terrible. Same with MLB and the Dodgers, NBA and Lakers/Celtics, etc. Thats why I would have to disagree with saying certain teams are special.

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
TV execs would rather have the Yankees vs the Cubs in the World Series instead of the Marlins and the Astros, even when you take the local television markets out of the equation.

It is this way in every sport.

But back to the Dodgers...fuck the Dodgers. Vin Scully is no longer broadcasting. And Cubs vs Dodgers could be an almost yearly NLCS from 2016-2020. No Cubs fan should feel any love for the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You're focused on the negative. Like Im saying non traditional teams being good kills leagues or makes them unwatchable. Not at all.

Its just better, and has higher ratings, when premier teams (typically the big market teams) are good.

But none of this is a rebuttal to the statement you originally disagreed with about teams being special. Bigger markets get bigger ratings is obvious to everyone.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am 

IMU wrote:
TV execs would rather have the Yankees vs the Cubs in the World Series instead of the Marlins and the Astros, even when you take the local television markets out of the equation.

Not like that in the NFL but nobody is disagreeing with your very obvious first statement.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

But none of this is a rebuttal to the statement you originally disagreed with about teams being special. Bigger markets get bigger ratings is obvious to everyone.

I think more people watching on a national level indicates they are special.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 am 

pittmike wrote:
As is usual some misread ratings and television network preferences as requirements for fan enjoyment and specialness.

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.

Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)

Were not all Bernstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 am 

IMU wrote:

But back to the Dodgers...fuck the Dodgers. Vin Scully is no longer broadcasting. And Cubs vs Dodgers could be an almost yearly NLCS from 2016-2020. No Cubs fan should feel any love for the Dodgers.

Yea, the Dodgers being in Cubs way overrides any of the specialness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I think more people watching on a national level indicates they are special.

Not really. More teams watch the Eagles than the Jaguars. Are the Eagles now special?

But yeah if you just meant bigger markets get bigger ratings I guess I misunderstood but it was a weird way to phrase it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

No one is telling you what to like. Im saying I think some teams are special. FF is saying none are.

Stop flinching like you're going to get smacked every time someone moves their hand (makes a post)

Were not all Bernstein

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Not really. More teams watch the Eagles than the Jaguars. Are the Eagles now special?

Compared to the Jaguars? Yes

I like it when more people and casual fans are into big sporting events. It's cooler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I tend to side more with FF on this. To me there are no "special" teams that make the sport more enjoyable when they are good.

RPB is a romantic. He yearns for the days when the charter franchises were dominant.

Nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I tend to side more with FF on this. To me there are no "special" teams that make the sport more enjoyable when they are good.

RPB is a romantic. He yearns for the days when the charter franchises were dominant.

Nothing wrong with that.

Guilty

I also tend to enjoy the drama of sports as much if not more than the nuts and bolts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Were not all Bernstein

I think you both were making decent points. Then the descent into tv ratings as an argument. I always rail against that. I could not care less about tv ratings or what networks make or pay in determining special. Most of the special Celtics-Lakers tilts were on tape delay CBS after the news.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yankees-Dodgers will always be better than Rays-Phillies
The 2008 World Series was great. It was better than any Yankees Dodgers tilt from back in the day.

Reggie's 3 HRs was legendary, but that was just one event. The suspended game from '08 tops that by a mile. Phillies come out and take the lead, Baldelli ties with with a HR, the Utley fake-throw. Way way way better.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yankees-Dodgers will always be better than Rays-Phillies
The 2008 World Series was great. It was better than any Yankees Dodgers tilt from back in the day.

No.

You were just euphoric at that point because you spent a good portion of that season worrying the Cubs would win it all.

There may have been an entertaining game or 2 but Phillies controlled that series and were never in danger.

Yanks-Phillies the next year was way better

If you want to talk 2 small markets and a great World Series, you have to back to 1997.

Unless you happen to not count SF as a big market. I count STL and SF as big markets.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Even 110 (which is where I think they'll wind up, they'll definitely break .666).

Pick up sticks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Man it's all everything that can go right does go right w/ this team this year.

How did a idiot player like Puig do a complete 180 this year? Was there a brain transplate over the offseason I didnt hear about?

I am starting to wonder now if Seager/ Bellinger combo will end up better than Bryant/Rizzo.

Must be fun being a Dodgers fan so far this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Were not all Bernstein

I think you both were making decent points. Then the descent into tv ratings as an argument. I always rail against that. I could not care less about tv ratings or what networks make or pay in determining special. Most of the special Celtics-Lakers tilts were on tape delay CBS after the news.

Completely untrue.

By 84-85 the tape delayed Finals games had been over for years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
HawaiiYou wrote:
Man it's all everything that can go right does go right w/ this team this year.

How did a idiot player like Puig do a complete 180 this year? Was there a brain transplate over the offseason I didnt hear about?

I am starting to wonder now if Seager/ Bellinger combo will end up better than Bryant/Rizzo.

Must be fun being a Dodgers fan so far this season.

They are better than Brizzo now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:27 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

What?

Were not all Bernstein

Completely untrue.

By 84-85 the tape delayed Finals games had been over for years.

Yeah, the tape-delayed Finals would have been, like, that year the Bullets won and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 am 

Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dodgers win ~EIGHTY-THREE~

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Cody Bellinger hit his 34th home run last night. He hit one home run in HS and the Dodgers picked him in the 4th round. One home run. Now four years later he has 34 in the Bigs. That's projection scouting at it's finest right there.

Or a good pharmacist.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:

He'll be lucky to have the career of Steve Balboni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:

No scout could have accurately predicted this.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:

crazy. he's been hitting them in the minors for a while, though. got the baseball genes, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next