It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball Rules Questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
1.If a pitcher throws a ball and it hits the ground 5 feet in front of home plate, and the ball bounces back up and the batter swings and hits it for a single, is it a single? or dead ball and it doesn't count?

2.A batter is facing a pitcher and is batting right handed for the first pitch. Can the batter switch to batting left handed for the 2nd pitch with the same pitcher on the mound?

3.A batter takes a full swing and hits the ball in foul territory before the third / first base bag. Say the ball hits a rock and bounces back into fair territory. Is it a fair ball or foul ball?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 pm 

Hope these aren't real questions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
1) it is a hit
2) all a hitter has to do is be inside a batters box when a pitch is thrown. He can switch all he wants.
3) foul ball, this happens like once a game when a batter jams one and the spin brings it back into fair play.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Answers without googling. I think they are right.

HawaiiYou wrote:
1.If a pitcher throws a ball and it hits the ground 5 feet in front of home plate, and the ball bounces back up and the batter swings and hits it for a single, is it a single? or dead ball and it doesn't count?

yes,it's a single.

2.A batter is facing a pitcher and is batting right handed for the first pitch. Can the batter switch to batting left handed for the 2nd pitch with the same pitcher on the mound?

yes.

3.A batter takes a full swing and hits the ball in foul territory before the third / first base bag. Say the ball hits a rock and bounces back into fair territory. Is it a fair ball or foul ball?

Foul because the rock is considered part of the turf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:49 pm 

My baseball rule questions have more to do with why some rules exist. Like dropped 3rd strike, I always assumed this was in place to keep teams from forgoing a catcher with the bases empty so they could add another fielder to rob hits. But I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
America wrote:
My baseball rule questions have more to do with why some rules exist. Like dropped 3rd strike, I always assumed this was in place to keep teams from forgoing a catcher with the bases empty so they could add another fielder to rob hits. But I'm not sure.

or to keep the ump from getting hit in the nuts every pitch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Interesting...had never thought of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
The third question I asked I always thought was foul too. But some sites I visited say it's fair. Even years before I have met people who said it would be fair. They compare it to a foul bunt. If you bunt the ball foul and it rolls back in fair it's fair. That one too sort of miffed me for a long time as I always thought once foul always foul.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 am 

Hit
Yes
Fair. Ball is not foul until it is picked up in your scenario.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Foul tips are strikes....at what point does contact constitute it turning into a foul pop up and an out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:04 am 
1000 CLUB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSuCobPzEA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:08 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I've always hated the drop third strike, makes no sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Foul tips are strikes....at what point does contact constitute it turning into a foul pop up and an out.

That's a good one.

Id say when it changes trajectory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am 

I think it's when the catcher has to get out of his stance to catch the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
An arbitrary yellow line should not be the difference between a home run and a double. The ball should have to leave the playing field. If you want to build a stupid outfield configuration like Houston and Arizona did, then deal with the fact that somebody has to hit the ball 450 feet to clear the left centerfield power alley.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Hit
Yes
Fair. Ball is not foul until it is picked up in your scenario.

Agree with 1 & 3, but I thought the rule on #2 is that in an at bat you have to remain in the same batter's box/side, unless a relief pitcher was brought in mid-AB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I think #3 would be fair.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-batter-hit- ... ame-at-bat

Hitter can switch from pitch to pitch. A pitcher can not, needs to declare left or right at the beginning of the at bat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
America wrote:

Off the top of my head, If I am right that an out is recorded only by tag, catch, or put-out, then b/c the catcher didn't "catch" the ball to make the out, he has to then either make the put-out or apply the tag to do so.

Last edited by Don Tiny on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
America wrote:

Off the top of my head, If I am right that an out is recorded only by tag, catch, or put-out, then b/c the catcher didn't "catch" the ball to make the out, he then has to then either make the put-out or apply the tag to do so.

That makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
After umping some IHSA games this year, I'll say some of the answers are correct!

Also after umping some kids games too, fuck the dropped 3rd strike. Someone gets on by a dropped 3rd and it starts a vicious cycle of a passed ball/wild pitch on the next batter and the runner moves up, putting the dropped 3rd back into play again, then that batter gets on by a dropped 3rd, moves up on some other wild pitch/passed ball ad infinitum. Well not exactly, there's also plenty of walks thrown in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
HawaiiYou wrote:
The third question I asked I always thought was foul too. But some sites I visited say it's fair. Even years before I have met people who said it would be fair. They compare it to a foul bunt. If you bunt the ball foul and it rolls back in fair it's fair. That one too sort of miffed me for a long time as I always thought once foul always foul.

It's fair, which is why technically the umpires are not supposed to call them foul balls until it stops moving, hits a wall, or someone touches it. But due to the physics of hitting a ball, the spin on the ball tends to carry it foul instead of back into fair.

Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm 

One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm 

newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

It's fair, which is why technically the umpires are not supposed to call them foul balls until it stops moving, hits a wall, or someone touches it. But due to the physics of hitting a ball, the spin on the ball tends to carry it foul instead of back into fair.

Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

My gut says no infield fly rule for a bunt. I have no idea though. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.

I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
TurdFerguson wrote:

If you are sitting on an 0-2 count in Little League and see a ball going way over your head, might be worth it just to swing and run. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 pm 

newper wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

If you are sitting on an 0-2 count in Little League and see a ball going way over your head, might be worth it just to swing and run. :)

Was thinking Baez would have a chance if he didn't swing at a ball bouncing 5 feet in front of the catcher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm 

newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I believe it is any ball hit in the air, regardless of arc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm 

pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.

No because a pitch in the dirt always requires a tag or throw to first base.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

No infield fly on a bunt, although if the pitcher physically drops it instead of letting it drop untouched it's a dead ball, batter's out.