It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:28 am
Posts: 11866
Location: Boofoo Zoo
pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
TurdFerguson wrote:
pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.


I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.


No because a pitch in the dirt always requires a tag or throw to first base.


Unless 1st base is occupied or there's 2 outs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm
Posts: 1637
pizza_Place: maciano's
KDdidit wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.


I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.


No because a pitch in the dirt always requires a tag or throw to first base.


Unless 1st base is occupied or there's 2 outs.


2 outs? I didn't realize that was a thing. I thought it only applied to the man on first sssentially forcing the batter out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:04 pm
Posts: 4271
Location: Lake of the Ozarks (whenever I can)
pizza_Place: Mauries Table
schmitty1121 wrote:
Hope these aren't real questions.

Hawaiiyou is a blockhead but he did pick a nice tree.

Sorry... I mean the questions were apparently not completely idiotic.

_________________
chaspoppcap wrote:
You guys seem a little uniformed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
The third question I asked I always thought was foul too. But some sites I visited say it's fair. Even years before I have met people who said it would be fair. They compare it to a foul bunt. If you bunt the ball foul and it rolls back in fair it's fair. That one too sort of miffed me for a long time as I always thought once foul always foul.

It's fair, which is why technically the umpires are not supposed to call them foul balls until it stops moving, hits a wall, or someone touches it. But due to the physics of hitting a ball, the spin on the ball tends to carry it foul instead of back into fair.

Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

He cant do anything if the call wasnt made immediately.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 13831
pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
pretty sure the catcher has to stay in foul territory until the pitch is thrown...

_________________
Ба́бушка гада́ла, да на́двое сказа́ла—то ли до́ждик, то ли снег, то ли бу́дет, то ли нет.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 9409
Location: Ex-Naperville, Ex-Homewood, Now Tinley Park
pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
rogers park bryan wrote:
newper wrote:
Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

He cant do anything if the call wasnt made immediately.

That is correct -- there are two different ways to get the answer here -- (1) Infield Fly rules are not appealable; if they aren't called during the play, then you can't apply it afterwards; (2) Infield fly rule does not apply to bunts or line drives, per the rulebook.

_________________
"Parking is optional. Shitting is not." -- Crystal Lake Hoffy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.



Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 18282
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.



Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.

And you're essenitally betting against yourself being able to get on via traditional means.


I think it makes sense if you're down 0-2 on 99 Pedro or Randy Johnson, though.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm
Posts: 1637
pizza_Place: maciano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.



Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.


But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

I assume the pitch doesnt technically end until the catcher retrieves the ball.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.



Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.


But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

I assume the pitch doesnt technically end until the catcher retrieves the ball.



Yeah. It's something a guy like Pierzynski would do.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm
Posts: 1637
pizza_Place: maciano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.



Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.


But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

I assume the pitch doesnt technically end until the catcher retrieves the ball.



Yeah. It's something a guy like Pierzynski would do.


That's exactly who I had job mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 18282
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Hatchetman wrote:
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60354
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?
That might be up to the 1st base ump to call a swing or a check swing. If you swing at a pitch that hits you, its a strike. If the pitch hits the ground before it hits you, its a HBP unless you are out of the batter's box.

TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.

Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.

But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

I assume the pitch doesnt technically end until the catcher retrieves the ball.
This would be the case unless the ump has already called it a ball.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 45502
Location: Darkside Estates
Jose Quintana has a lower on base percentage than his batting average.
Extremely rare. But possible. Odd, yeah?

_________________
"Play until it hurts, then play until it hurts to not play."
http://soundcloud.com/darkside124 HOF 2013, MM Champion 2014
bigfan wrote:
Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
Posts: 4985
pizza_Place: Pat's...South Loop
Darkside wrote:
Jose Quintana has a lower on base percentage than his batting average.
Extremely rare. But possible. Odd, yeah?


Yes, as sacrifices don't count against your batting average but they do count against your OBP.

_________________
To IkeSouth, bigfan wrote:
Are you stoned or pissed off, or both, when you create these postings?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
I noticed one of the Cubs games vs the Pirates ended in a TIE last year. But in the final standings there is no Tie column .

How did a freaking Tie come into play and is it an actual official tie in the history books?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 9409
Location: Ex-Naperville, Ex-Homewood, Now Tinley Park
pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed one of the Cubs games vs the Pirates ended in a TIE last year. But in the final standings there is no Tie column .

How did a freaking Tie come into play and is it an actual official tie in the history books?

Games often ended in ties prior to the advent of installing lights at the ballpark.

This game was a rainout and it was late enough in the season that there would be no implication on playoffs for either team should they win. The game doesn't count in the win-loss column, but the stats do count.

_________________
"Parking is optional. Shitting is not." -- Crystal Lake Hoffy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 28581
Location: Around the corner from Only Child Brewing Co
pizza_Place: Gino's East
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed one of the Cubs games vs the Pirates ended in a TIE last year. But in the final standings there is no Tie column .

How did a freaking Tie come into play and is it an actual official tie in the history books?


Game was suspended with a tie score. They didn't have flexibility to make up, and they didn't actually have to finish the game because it wouldn't have made a difference in the standings.

The game and stats are acknowledged, but the official record shows one game short of the standard 162...much like a play in game (163) is counted in the official standings.

_________________
IMU wrote:
I saw the photo of yours. Mine had a much smaller circumference but seemed thicker. Let me post a pic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
so why was there such a bruh ha ha when selig ended the all star game in a tie ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 28581
Location: Around the corner from Only Child Brewing Co
pizza_Place: Gino's East
HawaiiYou wrote:
so why was there such a bruh ha ha when selig ended the all star game in a tie ?


Because it's the all star game, and I don't honestly think any actual people gave a shit...that was media driven hyperbole.

_________________
IMU wrote:
I saw the photo of yours. Mine had a much smaller circumference but seemed thicker. Let me post a pic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
Posts: 4985
pizza_Place: Pat's...South Loop
HawaiiYou wrote:
so why was there such a bruh ha ha when selig ended the all star game in a tie ?


It used to be that many players would not see playing time the the All-Star game, but by the time Brenly and Torre managed it, it was more common to try to get everyone in. Therefore, the substitutions started early and by the time extra innings came along, there was no one left. Rather than throw some position players in to pitch, they called it a tie.

The most sensible solution would have been to either expand the bullpen roster, or allow players to re-enter the game.

_________________
To IkeSouth, bigfan wrote:
Are you stoned or pissed off, or both, when you create these postings?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 18282
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?
That might be up to the 1st base ump to call a swing or a check swing. If you swing at a pitch that hits you, its a strike. If the pitch hits the ground before it hits you, its a HBP unless you are out of the batter's box.
.


Ah, but what constitutes a swinging strike? The definition is something like, "when the batter attempts to strike the ball with the bat. "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:28 am
Posts: 11866
Location: Boofoo Zoo
pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Strike

https://www.mlb.com/video/panda-tries-t ... c-32653289


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm
Posts: 1637
pizza_Place: maciano's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.


The runner can’t score until the batter reaches first base.

Bases loaded 1 out. Ball goes to third and third bases steps on base for out and throws to short for third out. If some how the runner at third reaches home and the batter reached first base before the third out, the run would score.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.



The outs are still force outs. The two plays are really exactly the same except for which fielders are handling the ball. Traditionally, the play in Scenario 2 would have been very unlikely. But with all the extreme shifts that are used today, the "left fielder" may have actually been the second baseman.

Here's a question. If you're scoring the game and there is an extreme shift on a right-handed batter, the third baseman is on the line, the shortstop is way over to the left, and the second baseman is in short left field, and the ball is hit on the ground to the "second baseman" who throws to first for the force, that is properly scored as 4-3. But why? If I'm looking at the scorebook ten years down the road, it really doesn't accurately reflect what occurred, does it?

Or how about this? When the Cubs send Rizzo to stand right on top of the batter in a likely bunt situation and he has to switch gloves because the "second baseman" is now actually playing first, and Rizzo picks up the bunt and throws it to Baez, do you score that 3-4 or 4-3?

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:13 am
Posts: 2714
pizza_Place: Quonset
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?
That might be up to the 1st base ump to call a swing or a check swing. If you swing at a pitch that hits you, its a strike. If the pitch hits the ground before it hits you, its a HBP unless you are out of the batter's box.



It has to be a clear attempt to hit the ball. Although, this happened in a Cubs game late in the season and the first base ump called the batter out. I think it was Zobrist. Terrible call.

_________________
SpiralStairs wrote:
I can only drink so much trucker cum...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:07 pm
Posts: 2221
Location: A large oak tree.
pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.



The outs are still force outs. The two plays are really exactly the same except for which fielders are handling the ball. Traditionally, the play in Scenario 2 would have been very unlikely. But with all the extreme shifts that are used today, the "left fielder" may have actually been the second baseman.

Here's a question. If you're scoring the game and there is an extreme shift on a right-handed batter, the third baseman is on the line, the shortstop is way over to the left, and the second baseman is in short left field, and the ball is hit on the ground to the "second baseman" who throws to first for the force, that is properly scored as 4-3. But why? If I'm looking at the scorebook ten years down the road, it really doesn't accurately reflect what occurred, does it?

Or how about this? When the Cubs send Rizzo to stand right on top of the batter in a likely bunt situation and he has to switch gloves because the "second baseman" is now actually playing first, and Rizzo picks up the bunt and throws it to Baez, do you score that 3-4 or 4-3?


I think with the glove switch it becomes 4-3 as in the box score they have switched positions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.



The outs are still force outs. The two plays are really exactly the same except for which fielders are handling the ball. Traditionally, the play in Scenario 2 would have been very unlikely. But with all the extreme shifts that are used today, the "left fielder" may have actually been the second baseman.

Here's a question. If you're scoring the game and there is an extreme shift on a right-handed batter, the third baseman is on the line, the shortstop is way over to the left, and the second baseman is in short left field, and the ball is hit on the ground to the "second baseman" who throws to first for the force, that is properly scored as 4-3. But why? If I'm looking at the scorebook ten years down the road, it really doesn't accurately reflect what occurred, does it?

Or how about this? When the Cubs send Rizzo to stand right on top of the batter in a likely bunt situation and he has to switch gloves because the "second baseman" is now actually playing first, and Rizzo picks up the bunt and throws it to Baez, do you score that 3-4 or 4-3?


I think with the glove switch it becomes 4-3 as in the box score they have switched positions.


So when the box score comes out it will show each guy at both positions? That sounds right. In the other case, I think the positions- especially in the infield- have become fluid in this age of radical shifts. 4-3 doesn't really tell you how the play went as much as it used to.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group