It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 6808
pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
are fans pretty much in agreement that 61 is still the single season HR record?

Of course not. The record is 73 home runs.



70 and 73 are not records in my book since both of those guys cheated. But do we really know what's going on this year. Is it really the ball? That was the excuse when 70 and 73 were hit.

You can come up with all sorts of reasons for dismissing records. Some idiot on ESPN wrote a piece saying the true record is 37 home runs. All of this is just silly nonsense. What's written in the record book is really all that matters.


Very simplistic.

It's not like they did it during a juiced ball era or something benign. There were literally 4+ guys who broke that record within the span of a few years, and their heads were as big as bean bags. That's abnormal. There was even a Congressional hearing over it, if you recall. MANY of those guys also aren't in the Hall of Fame for that very reason.

To act as though there is no distinction is overly simplistic and ignorant.

I know you think many of my thoughts are simplistic. The flip side to that is you tend to overly complicate things. It's fine to have a discussion about the most impressive HR season, or about how much steroids helped the 73 mark, and about a ton of other things related to this discussion. When you start saying things like "73 isn't the record" you're being a moron who's denying reality and it's not "simplistic" to point out reality.


Because rules matter. If you lose an arm wrestling contest to a guy using both his hands are you going to congratulate him? Sounds like you would.

_________________
Nas wrote:
Vegan is right.


2013 CSFMB ROY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
are fans pretty much in agreement that 61 is still the single season HR record?

Of course not. The record is 73 home runs.



70 and 73 are not records in my book since both of those guys cheated. But do we really know what's going on this year. Is it really the ball? That was the excuse when 70 and 73 were hit.

You can come up with all sorts of reasons for dismissing records. Some idiot on ESPN wrote a piece saying the true record is 37 home runs. All of this is just silly nonsense. What's written in the record book is really all that matters.


Very simplistic.

It's not like they did it during a juiced ball era or something benign. There were literally 4+ guys who broke that record within the span of a few years, and their heads were as big as bean bags. That's abnormal. There was even a Congressional hearing over it, if you recall. MANY of those guys also aren't in the Hall of Fame for that very reason.

To act as though there is no distinction is overly simplistic and ignorant.

I know you think many of my thoughts are simplistic. The flip side to that is you tend to overly complicate things. It's fine to have a discussion about the most impressive HR season, or about how much steroids helped the 73 mark, and about a ton of other things related to this discussion. When you start saying things like "73 isn't the record" you're being a moron who's denying reality and it's not "simplistic" to point out reality.



So Lance Armstrong is all good in your book? record 7 Tour De France wins stands? Because 'he did it' and we can't ignore that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Why aren't many of the people from that era in the HoF?

BBWAA is comprised of a bunch of old holier than thou retards. See also: Pete Rose not being in.

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:


Every single baseball writer/manager/analyst in America would likely disagree with you on some level.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:10 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Why aren't many of the people from that era in the HoF?

BBWAA is comprised of a bunch of old holier than thou retards. See also: Pete Rose not being in.

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:


Every single baseball writer/manager/analyst in America would likely disagree with you on some level.

I very much doubt that. It's hard to disagree with a fact.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:



because to many people, especially a lot of older folk, baseball is religion. Even more important than 'real' religion. It's the oldest thing we got in this country. It's our history's history.

When I was a teen I went with my folks to a trip to England. We did a tour of this 2000 year old castle. I remember when I heard that I was like holy shit, 2000 years!?!? How can I even comprehend that when my country isn't even 200 years old (at that time).

Baseball to us is the closest thing we have in this country to that 2000 year old castle they have in other countries.


Last edited by HawaiiYou on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36120
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Baseball fans are fuckin weird, man. No other sport does stupid shit like this.

Everyone has their quirks. Baseball fans disavow records tainted by the abuse of illegal drugs. Hockey fans complain about shootouts, defensive systems, and goaltender pads. Football fans obsess over random aggregations of out-of-context statistics from a popular TV show.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:



because to many people, especially a lot of older folk, baseball is religion. Even more important than 'real' religion. It's the oldest thing we got in this country. It's our history's history.

When I was a teen I went with my folks to a trip to England. We did a tour of this 2000 year old castle. I remember when I heard that, like holy shit, 2000 years!?!? How can I even comprehend that when my country isn't even 200 years old (at that time).

Baseball to us is the closest thing we have to that 2000 year old castle they have in other countries.

That's fine. I respect that. But I mean... gotta face reality. There's one single season home run record. It's not really debatable.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:



because to many people, especially a lot of older folk, baseball is religion. Even more important than 'real' religion. It's the oldest thing we got in this country. It's our history's history.

When I was a teen I went with my folks to a trip to England. We did a tour of this 2000 year old castle. I remember when I heard that, like holy shit, 2000 years!?!? How can I even comprehend that when my country isn't even 200 years old (at that time).

Baseball to us is the closest thing we have to that 2000 year old castle they have in other countries.

That's fine. I respect that. But I mean... gotta face reality. There's one single season home run record. It's not really debatable.


Yup, and it's 61. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:14 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:



because to many people, especially a lot of older folk, baseball is religion. Even more important than 'real' religion. It's the oldest thing we got in this country. It's our history's history.

When I was a teen I went with my folks to a trip to England. We did a tour of this 2000 year old castle. I remember when I heard that, like holy shit, 2000 years!?!? How can I even comprehend that when my country isn't even 200 years old (at that time).

Baseball to us is the closest thing we have to that 2000 year old castle they have in other countries.

That's fine. I respect that. But I mean... gotta face reality. There's one single season home run record. It's not really debatable.


Yup, and it's 61. :lol:

:lol:

You're ridiculous. #NotMyHomeRunRecord

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 6808
pizza_Place: Malnati's
Image

FavreFan wrote:
Yeah but he hit the ball so hard that season. It's silly to deny that the ball was just rocketing off his bat.

_________________
Nas wrote:
Vegan is right.


2013 CSFMB ROY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I have never once said your arguments are always simplistic. I said you are a dumb cocksucker. Big difference.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Why aren't many of the people from that era in the HoF?

BBWAA is comprised of a bunch of old holier than thou retards. See also: Pete Rose not being in.

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:


Every single baseball writer/manager/analyst in America would likely disagree with you on some level.

I very much doubt that. It's hard to disagree with a fact.


You'd be wrong.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Why aren't many of the people from that era in the HoF?

BBWAA is comprised of a bunch of old holier than thou retards. See also: Pete Rose not being in.

I'm not sure what your goal here is. I didn't say anything remotely wrong or controversial. It's like you want to argue but you know you can't outright disagree :lol:


Every single baseball writer/manager/analyst in America would likely disagree with you on some level.

I very much doubt that. It's hard to disagree with a fact.


You'd be wrong.

To be clear, disagree with me on what? That "73" is the only acceptable answer when talking about what the home run record is?

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
Image

FavreFan wrote:
Yeah but he hit the ball so hard that season. It's silly to deny that the ball was just rocketing off his bat.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. What's the single season home run record?

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:30 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Veganfan you have bad posting etiquette.

I'm on my phone, but your first post at the top of this page is wrong. Bonds didn't break any rules when he hit 73

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Leash,

What does MLB say constitutes a series?

Also, what does MLB say the HR record is?

Why is it ok to use one as support in an argument but using the other is "very simplistic"?

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
Veganfan you have bad posting etiquette.

I'm on my phone, but your first post at the top of this page is wrong. Bonds didn't break any rules when he hit 73


Steroids joined MLB's banned substance list in 1991.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
Leash,

What does MLB say constitutes a series?

Also, what does MLB say the HR record is?

Why is it ok to use one as support in an argument but using the other is "very simplistic"?


There's nothing wrong with using it as support of an argument. Yours is just wrong.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Veganfan you have bad posting etiquette.

I'm on my phone, but your first post at the top of this page is wrong. Bonds didn't break any rules when he hit 73


Steroids joined MLB's banned substance list in 1991.

But other supplements like the shit McGwire used to hit 70 wasn't. So it's pretty much impossible to say what he was and wasn't using. The 1991 memo is extremely vague and easy to find loopholes in.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Leash,

What does MLB say constitutes a series?

Also, what does MLB say the HR record is?

Why is it ok to use one as support in an argument but using the other is "very simplistic"?


There's nothing wrong with using it as support of an argument. Yours is just wrong.

You still have yet to say what I am actually wrong about. I think I know why.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Veganfan you have bad posting etiquette.

I'm on my phone, but your first post at the top of this page is wrong. Bonds didn't break any rules when he hit 73


Steroids joined MLB's banned substance list in 1991.

But other supplements like the shit McGwire used to hit 70 wasn't. So it's pretty much impossible to say what he was and wasn't using. The 1991 memo is extremely vague and easy to find loopholes in.


Well, he could have been specific, but when he attended a Congressional hearing and they asked him, he cried and said he didn't want to talk about the past. Also, Sosa forgot how to speak English.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Leash,

What does MLB say constitutes a series?

Also, what does MLB say the HR record is?

Why is it ok to use one as support in an argument but using the other is "very simplistic"?


There's nothing wrong with using it as support of an argument. Yours is just wrong.

You still have yet to say what I am actually wrong about. I think I know why.


You're wrong that 73 home runs is agreed upon by all, or even most, as the baseball home run record with no strings attached. There are MANY who still consider 61 to be the record.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Leash,

What does MLB say constitutes a series?

Also, what does MLB say the HR record is?

Why is it ok to use one as support in an argument but using the other is "very simplistic"?


There's nothing wrong with using it as support of an argument. Yours is just wrong.

You still have yet to say what I am actually wrong about. I think I know why.


You're wrong that 73 home runs is agreed upon by all, or even most, as the baseball home run record with no strings attached. There are MANY who still consider 61 to be the record.

Oh, we agree on that. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 6808
pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Image

FavreFan wrote:
Yeah but he hit the ball so hard that season. It's silly to deny that the ball was just rocketing off his bat.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. What's the single season home run record?

Whoever hit the most home runs in a single season without cheating has the record.

_________________
Nas wrote:
Vegan is right.


2013 CSFMB ROY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Image

FavreFan wrote:
Yeah but he hit the ball so hard that season. It's silly to deny that the ball was just rocketing off his bat.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. What's the single season home run record?

Whoever hit the most home runs in a single season without cheating has the record.

Oh ok. So Barry Bonds then.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Ya know, I once argued that steroids shouldn't matter and everything should be legal. I even argued that the speed they took in the 70s was no different than steroids. But if you look back at the numbers and the performances, there's nothing comparable to the steroids era. They were barely human. Mark McGwire's upper body was almost literally twice the size of a guy like Anthony Rizzo, who is large by baseball standards. It just isn't comparable to anything else.

I think Brady fucking Anderson hit 50+ one year, as did Luis Gonzalez? I could be off there.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Right, but there has to be one agreed upon record. And it becomes really nonsensical to start parsing every great season for fairness.

Did Bonds use shit that today's players can't use? Sure. But if Stanton hits 62+ bombs this year, do you give him the record? The balls are clearly juiced this year so I think you have to account for that.

It's a fun little sports/bar argument but if we are all being serious you simply cannot argue anything other 73 is the record. It would be like arguing the earth is flat.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 6808
pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Right, but there has to be one agreed upon record. And it becomes really nonsensical to start parsing every great season for fairness.

Did Bonds use shit that today's players can't use? Sure. But if Stanton hits 62+ bombs this year, do you give him the record? The balls are clearly juiced this year so I think you have to account for that.

It's a fun little sports/bar argument but if we are all being serious you simply cannot argue anything other 73 is the record. It would be like arguing the earth is flat.


Your boy thinks it is.

_________________
Nas wrote:
Vegan is right.


2013 CSFMB ROY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Right, but there has to be one agreed upon record. And it becomes really nonsensical to start parsing every great season for fairness.

Did Bonds use shit that today's players can't use? Sure. But if Stanton hits 62+ bombs this year, do you give him the record? The balls are clearly juiced this year so I think you have to account for that.

It's a fun little sports/bar argument but if we are all being serious you simply cannot argue anything other 73 is the record. It would be like arguing the earth is flat.


Your boy thinks it is.

Yup. Great basketball player. Probably could've used another year or two at Duke

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
are fans pretty much in agreement that 61 is still the single season HR record?

Of course not. The record is 73 home runs.

If he gets to 62, many people will celebrate. It's already been discussed.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group