It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cleveland Indians
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
This thread is pretty funny. RPB and leash love to say how little they care about the Sox, yet it's killing them that Sox fans think the 2005 team was great.

The 2005 White Sox were absolutely a great team.
Please use "historically great" from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
No, its apt because a 7-9 team could trade for Aaron Rodgers and win every playoff game 55-0 and you'd say they were the greatest NFL team of all time.
If they went 55-0 in 4 straight games they probably would be the greatest team of all time.

The greatest playoff run of all time. The regular season exists.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
This thread is pretty funny. RPB and leash love to say how little they care about the Sox, yet it's killing them that Sox fans think the 2005 team was great.

The 2005 White Sox were absolutely a great team.
Please use "historically great" from now on.

I say that about the playoff run without exception.

As far as the whole championship season...great is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
No, its apt because a 7-9 team could trade for Aaron Rodgers and win every playoff game 55-0 and you'd say they were the greatest NFL team of all time.
If they went 55-0 in 4 straight games they probably would be the greatest team of all time.

It just seems like an odd way of talking about it, or maybe it's just different with different sports. Like in the NBA, when people would talk about who the best team of all time was, they would talk about the Warriors, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, etc in terms of playing against eachother. I never hear it framed as "The team with the most regular season wins is the best". In fact, most fans think they aren't.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No, it would be the greatest team of all time, especially if you can explain it like that with a trade for an all time great player. You seem to be arguing that it would be a fluke, and you don't think the 2005 White Sox were a fluke right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It just seems like an odd way of talking about it, or maybe it's just different with different sports. Like in the NBA, when people would talk about who the best team of all time was, they would talk about the Warriors, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, etc in terms of playing against eachother. I never hear it framed as "The team with the most regular season wins is the best". In fact, most fans think they aren't.

Baseball is a much different sport than basketball. Rick won't accept that, but it's true.

Besides, there's no real way to know how two teams from different years would matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Baseball is a much different sport than basketball. Rick won't accept that, but it's true.

And you wanna get on me for meaningless statements? :lol: WYC

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

And you wanna get on me for meaningless statements? :lol: WYC

Don't also be obtuse. You know why it's different. The 27 Yankees could lose to the 2011 Cubs in a 7-game series, but the 96 Bulls would beat the 2017 Bulls 100 times out of 100.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
AJ > Posada
Konerko > Tino Martinez
Tadahito > Knoblauch
Uribe < Jeter
Crede > Brosius
Pods > Chad Curtis
Rowand < Bernie Williams
Dye = Paul O'Neill
Carl Everett > Darryl Strawberry

Buehrle > Pettite
Garcia < Wells
Garland = Cone
Contreras > Irabu
El Duque < El Duque

Pretty even matchup.

Hawk would be ashamed of you leaving out the bullpen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No, it would be the greatest team of all time, especially if you can explain it like that with a trade for an all time great player. You seem to be arguing that it would be a fluke, and you don't think the 2005 White Sox were a fluke right?

I disagree with your theory that the regular season is meaningless when discussing all time great teams.

My example is an extreme response to you extreme. Has nothing to do with the White Sox.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The last thing I want is for a thread about the 19-consecutive-wins Indians to turn into another fucking referendum on the White Sox, but there are some interesting parallels between the '05 Sox and '98 Yankees in terms of the wholes being much much bigger than the sums of their respective parts. It would be a good best of seven for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Well baseball post season is 1/16th of the regular season. Most other sports aren't.

I actually think the best team is the on who is best after 162. They just don't always close the deal in the tiny sample size we've chosen for playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The last thing I want is for a thread about the 19-consecutive-wins Indians to turn into another fucking referendum on the White Sox, but there are some interesting parallels between the '05 Sox and '98 Yankees in terms of the wholes being much much bigger than the sums of their respective parts. It would be a good best of seven for sure.
This is a guy who is a good baseball poster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Well baseball post season is 1/16th of the regular season. Most other sports aren't.

I actually think the best team is the on who is best after 162. They just don't always close the deal in the tiny sample size we've chosen for playoffs.

This is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Agreed. Would be a good Series.

Yankees were better, imo but as anyone who follows baseball knows that doesn't always work out in a shirt series.

Although I think Peeps was a little generous on the Garland = Cone one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yankees were better, imo but as anyone who follows baseball knows that doesn't always work out in a shirt series.

CH has convinced everyone the 2005 White Sox could beat the 98 Yankees!

We did good work here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

This is correct.

:lol:

No, this is an opinion discussion. There is no correct and incorrect.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This is correct.

Oh, that's precious coming from you. You berate Frank for having the audacity to order his steak medium.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We did good work here.

No one argued otherwise because most people posting in this thread understand anything can happen in a short series.

It honestly is weird how much it bothers you that the 05 Sox weren't the best ever.

They were your best ever. Should be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This is correct.

Oh, that's precious coming from you. You berate Frank for having the audacity to order his steak medium.

Right. It's a fact that overcooked steak takes out the flavor. It's not a fact who the best team in MLB history is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This is correct.

Right. It's a fact that overcooked steak takes out the flavor. It's not a fact who the best team in MLB history is.

It's a fact that it's not the Sox.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

It honestly is weird how much it bothers you that the 05 Sox weren't the best ever.

You can't play that card in this thread. All any Sox fans are doing in this thread is saying the 2005 team was one of the best teams ever. It's you and leash who are getting bothered by that very reasonable opinion.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:12 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We did good work here.

No one argued otherwise because most people posting in this thread understand anything can happen in a short series.

Rick will never admit that sample size matters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You can't play that card in this thread. All any Sox fans are doing in this thread is saying the 2005 team was one of the best teams ever. It's you and leash who are getting bothered by that very reasonable opinion.

You must have Rick on ignore.

Because it's a very reasonable opinion to leave the Sox out of the all time great list and Rick literally is ready to flip a car over at the mere suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You must have Rick on ignore.

Because it's a very reasonable opinion to leave the Sox out of the all time great list and Rick literally is ready to flip a car over at the mere suggestion.

He probably didn't realize how heavily you weigh regular season wins.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We did good work here.

Rick will never admit that sample size matters.

Any Super Bowl team that got a bye in the playoffs is worse than every lower seeded Super Bowl teams

4-0 > 3-0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:20 pm 

I thought bringing up different sports was irrelevant. Now they are relevent again?

You guys should probably grab some bench for the day and regroup. Rough outing today.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I thought bringing up different sports was irrelevant. Now they are relevent again?

You actually do have Rick on ignore don't you?

This thread:
Sox fans upset at thought: 2005 White Sox not best ever.

Being a Sox fan seems like a strange trip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:27 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You actually do have Rick on ignore don't you?

This thread:
Sox fans upset at thought: 2005 White Sox not best ever.

Being a Sox fan seems like a strange trip.

I didn't see any posts where Rick was getting upset.

Either way, you at least gotta admit this is a bad look for your "Sox fans care about the Cubs more than vice versa" theory

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The 98 Yanks are considered one of the greatest teams ever. You people are either homers or extremely insecure (Rick).

It's not crazy to think the 2005 Sox would beat the 98 Yankees. I know the Sox have sucked for a long time now so it may be easy to forget how dominant they were. You and RPB are clearly understating how good they were.

So you believe the 2005 White Sox are on par with what many believe to be the greatest baseball team of all time?

I think they are a rung or two below. The only team Id put with the 98 Yankees is the Big Red Machine.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We did good work here.

Now, where is the talk about the Sox being the best ever? The argument is that they are on the level of other historically dominant teams. Would be a good series!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next