It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Trammell & Morris HOF!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1857
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Congrats!!

Mark Gonzales‏ @MDGonzales
25s26 seconds ago

Morris and Tranmell elected by Modern Era Committee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 1777
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
'77Cubs wrote:
Congrats!!

Mark Gonzales‏ @MDGonzales
25s26 seconds ago

Morris and Tranmell elected by Modern Era Committee

Nice. Deserved.

Lou Whitaker??????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
Good to hear. Got to get Lou in too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Posts: 1857
pizza_Place: Lucio's
Ted Simmons finished 1 vote shy and the next highest was Marvin Miller with 7 of 16 (needed 12).

Miller gets no respect.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 21390
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.

_________________
long time guy wrote:


A lot of you guys really just state shit without really knowing what the hell you are talking about.



OnePost wrote:
If you want to continue to post your misinformed bullshit, don't be upset when it gets shoved up your ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14305
Location: "Across 110th Street"
'77Cubs wrote:
Ted Simmons finished 1 vote shy and the next highest was Marvin Miller with 7 of 16 (needed 12).

Miller gets no respect.


Miller not getting in is a travesty, unless you're a franchise owner.

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14305
Location: "Across 110th Street"
badrogue17 wrote:
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.


Let's hope not

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 21390
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.


Let's hope not

If you put Morris in, they get in too.

_________________
long time guy wrote:


A lot of you guys really just state shit without really knowing what the hell you are talking about.



OnePost wrote:
If you want to continue to post your misinformed bullshit, don't be upset when it gets shoved up your ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 21390
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.


Let's hope not

Throw in CC and Bart Colon too . Morris getting in sets a new bar .

_________________
long time guy wrote:


A lot of you guys really just state shit without really knowing what the hell you are talking about.



OnePost wrote:
If you want to continue to post your misinformed bullshit, don't be upset when it gets shoved up your ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 21390
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
And Dwight Evans better start thinking about hotel reservations in upstate NY pretty soon as well.

_________________
long time guy wrote:


A lot of you guys really just state shit without really knowing what the hell you are talking about.



OnePost wrote:
If you want to continue to post your misinformed bullshit, don't be upset when it gets shoved up your ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36120
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I believe we talked about this a while ago and I said that Morris and Schilling were more or less the same dude; one getting in should mean the other gets in too.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2152
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
Happy for Trammell.

Disappointed that Morris got in instead of Simmons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14305
Location: "Across 110th Street"
badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Schilling , Mussina are shoo-in’s now.


Let's hope not

Throw in CC and Bart Colon too . Morris getting in sets a new bar .


No, no and God help us no.

Jack Morris would kick Curt Shilling's moth ass six ways to Sunday

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14305
Location: "Across 110th Street"
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.


This

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:15 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60354
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
If Mattingly didn't play for the Yankees, he was just be remembered as a guy who had a really good career. HOF would not even be a mention.

On the flip side if Juan Uribe was wearing Yankee pinstripes as he made two plays like he did in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, they would be touted as two of the greatest defensive plays in WS history.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am
Posts: 18695
pizza_Place: Aurelios
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If Mattingly didn't play for the Yankees, he was just be remembered as a guy who had a really good career. HOF would not even be a mention.

On the flip side if Juan Uribe was wearing Yankee pinstripes as he made two plays like he did in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, they would be touted as two of the greatest defensive plays in WS history.


Hard to argue with this... hell, ESPN regularly forgets the 2005 WS even happened.

_________________
drinky wrote:
If you hate Laurence, then don't listen - don't comment. When he co-hosts the B&B show, take that day off ... listen to an old podcast of a Bernstein solo show and jerk off all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
Posts: 4985
pizza_Place: Pat's...South Loop
Curious Hair wrote:
I believe we talked about this a while ago and I said that Morris and Schilling were more or less the same dude; one getting in should mean the other gets in too.


Same goes for Trammell and Whitaker.

_________________
To IkeSouth, bigfan wrote:
Are you stoned or pissed off, or both, when you create these postings?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 1777
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.


This

Mattingly is an easy no way, but what's the case against Garvey?

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
Mattingly is in the Hall of "That guy was a fuckin Ballplayer"


Morris and Schilling both deserve it. What are we even doing if not rewarding guys who were dominant in October for several different teams (while having great overall numbers)

If you think Morris isn't a Hall of Famer, you hate baseball.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 21390
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think he’s borderline at best .

_________________
long time guy wrote:


A lot of you guys really just state shit without really knowing what the hell you are talking about.



OnePost wrote:
If you want to continue to post your misinformed bullshit, don't be upset when it gets shoved up your ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
badrogue17 wrote:
I think he’s borderline at best .

Did you watch baseball in the 80s and early 90s?


I've always thought guys who are October stars should get a huge boost in these discussions.

I'd put Orel Hersheiser in.

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
I really never watched Maytingly because I never watched the AL. All I know about him was the hype I use to hear from Yankee fans.

But Garvey is an enigma. If you base it just on WS teams he was a part of and he was a big clog in the Dodgers decade long run, then I guess yes. Garvey was really good/great because he fit that team perfectly. If he’s with another team then I think he’s not as good. But if we go with what I’m saying then might as well put Cey, Lopes, Russell in as well.

While finishing my post i just thought if garvey was on the late 70s early 80s cubs teams. He would have been a stud. That’s it - Put him in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I think he’s borderline at best .

Did you watch baseball in the 80s and early 90s?


I've always thought guys who are October stars should get a huge boost in these discussions.

I'd put Orel Hersheiser in.


Yup. Good point. Donny never got to the WS. I also think his image got hurt as a manager. I know that shouldn’t matter but it may to these old geezers. At least Garvey win rings and pennants.

Why isn’t Hersheiser considered? He should be in before Garvey or Donny bats. Also Saberhagen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14305
Location: "Across 110th Street"
tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.


This

Mattingly is an easy no way, but what's the case against Garvey?

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.


Garvey was the star of those teams because he was the most telegenic and was generally good (not great) at most things. Those teams are exactly what the adage about what being better than the sum of its parts means.

A 25 man roster filled with solid ballplayers, none of whom deserve HOF status, and many of whom which had bigger moments than Garvey

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.


This

Mattingly is an easy no way, but what's the case against Garvey?

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.


Garvey was the star of those teams because he was the most telegenic and was generally good (not great) at most things. Those teams are exactly what the adage about what being better than the sum of its parts means.

A 25 man roster filled with solid ballplayers, none of whom deserve HOF status, and many of whom which had bigger moments than Garvey


Yeah, Garvey is more like Mark Grace and Wally Joyner than he is like a real Hall of Fame first baseman.

And your statement I bolded above couldn't be truer. Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey- none of those guys is what I'd call a great player. But they were all solid and played together a long time.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 4685
Location: Honolulu, HI
pizza_Place: It's gone
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed who else was on the ballot and do you think Steve Garvey is HOF? Over Mattingly?



Garvey and Mattingly aren't Hall of Famers. Will Clark was better than both of them. Jose Abreu is better too, but he wasn't allowed to play in the big leagues for half his career.


This

Mattingly is an easy no way, but what's the case against Garvey?

Seems like he is close with the stats. Never really watched him due to being too young and despite their appearances on Monday Night Baseball and the World Series, it was hard to follow other teams when they weren't on 2-5-7-9-11-20-26-32-44.


Garvey was the star of those teams because he was the most telegenic and was generally good (not great) at most things. Those teams are exactly what the adage about what being better than the sum of its parts means.

A 25 man roster filled with solid ballplayers, none of whom deserve HOF status, and many of whom which had bigger moments than Garvey



I said the same thing. Funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:45 am
Posts: 2776
pizza_Place: Drag's
badrogue17 wrote:
And Dwight Evans better start thinking about hotel reservations in upstate NY pretty soon as well.


Heard a good Dewey Evans story today from Artie Lange on Sternthology circa 2009 (the Baba Booey pitch). He was talking about Yankees / Red Sox fans. Evans finished his career (he said Cleve but it was actually Balt) and during that last season they were visiting Yankee stadium. Before the game Balt was taking BP and Evans was standing around the cage with everyone else. This New Yorker apparently made his way down to the first row and starts screaming repeatedly, Hey Evans! Hey Evans! Your son is the Elephant Boy! Turns our Evans' son has NS disease--ie, something similar to Rocky Dennis disease. Evans rightly goes apeshit and starts after the guy but his teammates are holding him back. While he's held back the guy's yelling Fuck You, you won't do shit cuz I'll sue you. That sort of thing. I had no idea about Evans' kid--that is truly sad. In any case--the guy yelling from the stands? None other than.... Donald Trump.

_________________
Soccer 1,2,3
Spanish Honor Society 1,2,3,4
Forensics 1,2,3,4

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 pm
Posts: 3100
pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
DannyB wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
And Dwight Evans better start thinking about hotel reservations in upstate NY pretty soon as well.


Heard a good Dewey Evans story today from Artie Lange on Sternthology circa 2009 (the Baba Booey pitch). He was talking about Yankees / Red Sox fans. Evans finished his career (he said Cleve but it was actually Balt) and during that last season they were visiting Yankee stadium. Before the game Balt was taking BP and Evans was standing around the cage with everyone else. This New Yorker apparently made his way down to the first row and starts screaming repeatedly, Hey Evans! Hey Evans! Your son is the Elephant Boy! Turns our Evans' son has NS disease--ie, something similar to Rocky Dennis disease. Evans rightly goes apeshit and starts after the guy but his teammates are holding him back. While he's held back the guy's yelling Fuck You, you won't do shit cuz I'll sue you. That sort of thing. I had no idea about Evans' kid--that is truly sad. In any case--the guy yelling from the stands? None other than.... Donald Trump.


You should contact CNN or MSNBC about that story


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group