It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Saw this on Twitter yesterday, and just heard Bernstein mention it.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account
@JeffPassan

Austin Jackson was a two-win player last year. That's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $15M in value for one season. He got a total of $6M guaranteed for two seasons. The bottoming out of this market is staggering, and what's scary is that this is just the beginning.

If my math is correct, if you paid that you would have a $675 million payroll for a 90 win team, so obviously you don't start from zero. So what is the "baseline" or whatever numbers of wins they are using for this equation?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Not sure the exact starting point, but WAR is wins ABOVE replacement. In theory, a team of AAAA replacement level players would win 60 wins or so. So a team winning 90 games strictly acquiring players through free agency should expect a payroll of 450 million.

Seems about right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I've never put much into $/WAR or looked much into the various analysts and how they judge what WAR is worth. However, bWAR has a fully replacement level team as being 52 wins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:51 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Not sure the exact starting point, but WAR is wins ABOVE replacement. In theory, a team of AAAA replacement level players would win 60 wins or so. So a team winning 90 games strictly acquiring players through free agency should expect a payroll of 450 million.

Seems about right.

Still seems a little high, IMO, but yeah I figured the baseline was around 50-60 wins.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
That's what's dumb though. bernstein loves to point out a negative WAR guy (usually on the White Sox) and act like there is some farm with "replacement level" players just waiting to replace him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's what's dumb though. bernstein loves to point out a negative WAR guy (usually on the White Sox) and act like there is some farm with "replacement level" players just waiting to replace him.

There is now my friend. Thanks Hahn!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 pm 

At least using Fangraphs WAR, I'm getting between 54-74 as being the starting point.

Took a look at the 2 highest/lowest WAR teams and subtracted that from their actual. In theory that should be a baseline to a point.

High
Astros 101-33 = 68
Dodgers 104-30 =74
Low
Giants 64-10=54
Padres 71-7=64

I don't follow NBA much, but don't they track through WIN Share. Essentially each win is participated out to each player to determine value. So if you add up the total win share of a team you get the actual number of wins?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
I don't follow NBA much, but don't they track through WIN Share. Essentially each win is participated out to each player to determine value. So if you add up the total win share of a team you get the actual number of wins?

Yes I believe that is true. Obviously WAR in baseball is significantly more prominent than WS or WS/48 is in basketball.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of all things stupid things he says, I don't think this is that dumb. Just because they are replacement level doesn't make them free and they are likely under contract to a team during the season. If the Sox are out of contention, there is no reason trading a lottery ticket in single A to slightly improve a good awful centerfielder to a bad centerfielder.

These trades happen with contenders when a team "shores up their [insert position]" for some player you are likely never to hear of again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:12 pm 

The Sox paid Jackson $5M and he was a -0.1 WAR player. The Gigantes better hope they don’t get that guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of all things stupid things he says, I don't think this is that dumb. Just because they are replacement level doesn't make them free and they are likely under contract to a team during the season. If the Sox are out of contention, there is no reason trading a lottery ticket in single A to slightly improve a good awful centerfielder to a bad centerfielder.

These trades happen with contenders when a team "shores up their [insert position]" for some player you are likely never to hear of again.

My point is, nobody wants to have a negative WAR guy in the lineup. When someone does it's not like he's that easy to replace. bernstein seems to have the impression that "replacement level" means any other bum you throw in there. You could get a guy that is a worse negative.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:
The Sox paid Jackson $5M and he was a -0.1 WAR player. The Gigantes better hope they don’t get that guy.
:roll: We've been thru this already today. Jackson got hurt and only played about 30 games for the Sox. He had a nice season with the Tribe last year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

My point is, nobody wants to have a negative WAR guy in the lineup. When someone does it's not like he's that easy to replace. bernstein seems to have the impression that "replacement level" means any other bum you throw in there. You could get a guy that is a worse negative.

Guess we can disagree there. There is no promise you won't get a worse WAR from grabbing some other guy, it is still easy to pull that trigger and try someone else. Either but promoting a journeyman from AAA or trading for a AAA player having a good year.

Fangraphs WAR only have 15 players finishing the season with over -1 WAR. These pretty much fall into young guys that may improve or old guys that are owed lots of money.
Old - Pujols, Beltran, Adrian Gonzalez, Victor Martinez Young, Trumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:44 pm 

Speaking of Pujols, the dumpster fire that is the remains of his contract.

-2 WAR last year
2017: $26M, 2018: $27M, 2019: $28M, 2020: $29M, 2021: $30M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

Jesus Christ. MLB desperately needs a salary cap or some type of new CBA limiting the years of a contract.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

That contract is just insane. Dude is 38 right now. How could they sign someone and pay them that kind of money through the age of 41?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
FavreFan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

Jesus Christ. MLB desperately needs a salary cap or some type of new CBA limiting the years of a contract.

Commie.

Last edited by Peter Puck on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm 

His WAR so far on that contract

He is standing at 7.6 of total WAR with 4 years remaining on the contract. They may have paid him 240 million to be a less than replacement player for the contract on the whole.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

Commie.

Just saying as primarily an NBA guy. It’s crazy to think about some of the contracts those assholes would hand out under MLB’s salary structure.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
TurdFerguson wrote:
His WAR so far on that contract

He is standing at 7.6 of total WAR with 4 years remaining on the contract. They may have paid him 240 million to be a less than replacement player for the contract on the whole.

Or looking at it in terms of the formula FF had in the original post, his value has been:

27m
4.5m
21m
6m
-15m

$57m worth of value and probably decreasing from here on out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm 

I'm guessing a decent amount of Jackson's WAR is dWAR which is still really fucked up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'm guessing a decent amount of Jackson's WAR is dWAR which is still really fucked up.

-.3 dWAR last year actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

FF is right. MLB needs a salary cap and a salary floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
FavreFan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

The Angels knew there would be a lot of dead years on it, but I don't think anyone thought he would die as quickly as he did. The fact that MLB contracts are fully guaranteed is something that I think would be very hard to get MLBPA to back down from, especially seeing how you are treated like a piece of meat in the NFL. You would think most players would be for it if they could get something to help them out when they are younger though.... these ridiculous contracts only happen to maybe 2 or 3 players a decade?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm 

newper wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

-2 WAR last year

The Angels knew there would be a lot of dead years on it, but I don't think anyone thought he would die as quickly as he did. The fact that MLB contracts are fully guaranteed is something that I think would be very hard to get MLBPA to back down from, especially seeing how you are treated like a piece of meat in the NFL. You would think most players would be for it if they could get something to help them out when they are younger though.... these ridiculous contracts only happen to maybe 2 or 3 players a decade?

Agreed except for the last part. They seem to happen annually, not once or twice a decade. I’ve seen many guys like CH, dolphin, and others say they don’t understand the nba trade value system, and likewise I don’t understand basically the entire MLB system. To me it seems outrageous and totally outdated. You can draft a young stud and basically control him for a decade for next to nothing. Meanwhile, the sport has the dumbest contracts in sports for guys over 30 and it’s not even close.

The NBA contract system makes sense to me. Rookie scale, guaranteed contracts, 4 year max contract for FAs, 5 year max extensions for superstars you drafted.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 am 

A free market system is the best. No one put a gun to the Angels heads and forced them to give Pujols that contract. A salary cap puts more money in the owners pocket. I’d rather see the money go to the players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Keyser Soze wrote:
A free market system is the best. No one put a gun to the Angels heads and forced them to give Pujols that contract. A salary cap puts more money in the owners pocket. I’d rather see the money go to the players.

Agreed.. I enjoy seeing teams fuck themselves with awful deals. 4 more years for Albert :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
312player wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Agreed.. I enjoy seeing teams fuck themselves with awful deals. 4 more years for Albert :lol:

6 more for Heyward :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:
A free market system is the best.
At this point, it's not, but no reason for you to start making good baseball posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
312player wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

6 more for Heyward :(

Yup..real bad, at least Jhey can field though..I think we can dump him in 2 years in a package.