It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freefalling Attendance
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Eric Fisher
‏Verified account @EricFisherSBJ

MLB owners meetings have concluded. A few nuggets from Rob Manfred. With attendance still down 7% despite better weather, he signals new concern that are other issues at play besides rain/cold. '19 schedule could have some new tweaks inc 2-gm wknd series /1

Quote:
MLB attendance has generally and gradually been declining since its peak of 79.48 million fans in 2007. That was 32,696 per contest. The average per-game figure fell below 30,000 last year for the first time since 2003.

Of course, this year’s numbers were deflated early in the season, when April brought brutally cold weather to much of the country. Through the first two-plus weeks of the campaign, baseball was drawing about 2,700 fewer fans per game — or about 8.9% compared to the previous April, as noted by Jeff Passan.

So, for a while, it was unclear how much the unseasonable temperatures were responsible for the decline. Now, however, the weather has warmed in most places. What has happened in the two months since the frigid start to the season? The league is still failing to keep pace with last year. Over the last two months, from April 16 to June 14, MLB attendance is still off 2017’s pace by 6.1%, or a total of 1,376,770. The decline isn’t all weather related.

Easy answer = time and cost.

Though, an MBB will be to hired to do an exhaustive analysis to conclude the same. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
1) Tickets are too expensive

2) Tickets are too expensive

3) Analytics have slowed the pace of play and reduced the number of balls in play, making for a less enjoyable product

4) Tickets are too expensive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:

3) Analytics have slowed the pace of play and reduced the number of balls in play, making for a less enjoyable product

That about covers it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I'll be at Wednesday's game....if anyone else is going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:

I'll be there. We should meet up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Cool. I am at a corporate outing, going to Deuces and the Diamond Club before the game, and we have a box for the game. Meet up after or I can come down to your usual box seats during and buy you the beers I owe you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
It's not just the tickets; it's the cost of everything else as well. You can be a crab-ass and say, "Well, don't don't eat or drink anything, or bring your food with ya!" And that makes some sense, but eating is part of the experience. God knows they barrage you with "Buy! Buy! Buy!" every step of the way, from the parking lot to the seat.

I'm glad I no longer drink....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am 

tommy wrote:
It's not just the tickets; it's the cost of everything else as well. You can be a crab-ass and say, "Well, don't don't eat or drink anything, or bring your food with ya!" And that makes some sense, but eating is part of the experience. God knows they barrage you with "Buy! Buy! Buy!" every step of the way, from the parking lot to the seat.

Yeah it's super expensive to drink there, but what's live baseball without the beer?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Cool. I am at a corporate outing, going to Deuces and the Diamond Club before the game, and we have a box for the game. Meet up after or I can come down to your usual box seats during and buy you the beers I owe you?

Yeah, we can meet up after.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
tommy wrote:

Yeah it's super expensive to drink there, but what's live baseball without the beer?

I don't remember. It's been so long since I drank, I just can't recall, and when I did drink, I was fucked up early on. Old Comiskey was much more one-hitter friendly, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am 

tommy wrote:

"What's a bath without Bubbles?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yeah, we can meet up after.

MfM

Curious Hair wrote:

Yes, wanted to take my daughter to a Cubs game. Would have cost easy 300.00 for shit seats + food/parking exc.

I turned off the game yesterday after Bryant stuck out with the bases loaded. Tired of the all or nothing swings and pitchers trying to throw it 100MPH and walking everyone.

Sports just are not as fun as they where before all these rule changes. Watching less of all sports, not just baseball.

Site Admin

tommy wrote:

I bought a water on Friday because it was pretty hot. I usually never buy water. Six fucking dollars! I was going again on Sunday and my wife advised me to stay hydrated. I said, "One thing I won't be doing is buying $6 bottles of water. Beer has plenty of water in it."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You can bring a sealed bottle of water in to Sox games, and refill it at water fountains.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Everything is too expensive. However, I try to see at least one Sox & Cubs game a year and living 2 hours away it takes a lot of planning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

I bought a water on Friday because it was pretty hot. I usually never buy water. Six fucking dollars! I was going again on Sunday and my wife advised me to stay hydrated. I said, "One thing I won't be doing is buying $6 bottles of water. Beer has plenty of water in it."

At least at Kaminskey they let you bring some stuff in (not sure about Cub Park). But still, if you have kids....forget it. Might as well go on a weekend trip somewhere instead.

Plus, as people have said, the game has gotten so slow. If I don't take my Adderall, I might as well be wasted because I can't follow it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
I was such a big analytics guy when Moneyball (the book) came out. I thought it was brilliant. I didn't count on everyone trying to do it at once! As with so much in life, it turns out doing things the stupid way is more fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am 

tommy wrote:

I don't drink either but I was determined to get a Sox helmet nacho when we were there in May. I think the nachos without the helmet was $16 and with helmet was $19? Anyway, that was my ballpark treat and I shared with Mrs Fella... a little. They were good and I got a souvenir for my work cave.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
I was such a big analytics guy when Moneyball (the book) came out. I thought it was brilliant. I didn't count on everyone trying to do it at once! As with so much in life, it turns out doing things the stupid way is more fun.

When I was at the game Friday night there were four goofs behind me who were discussing the game through their version of "advanced analytics" the entire night. By "their version" I mean a lot of shit wasn't right.

The first time Omar Narvaez came up, the leader said to the other three, "This guys sucks. He's one of the worst players in the big leagues." Narvaez promptly doubled. The next time he came up the guy was going on again about how terrible Narvaez is- three run homer. Later in the game, with men on first and second Narvaez dropped a perfect sac bunt and the same guy went nuts on Renteria. Now, I hate sacrificing as much as anyone and particualrly think it's dumb with two men on. It would have annoyed the fuck out of me with a contending team. But that isn't the case. Anyway, if Narvaez really sucks as much as you said he did the first two times he was up, what are the chances of him having a three hit game? Isn't advancing the runners and staying out of the double play a good strategy?

My wife said to me, "That seems like a terrible way to watch a baseball game."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

When I was at the game Friday night there were four goofs behind me who were discussing the game through their version of "advanced analytics" the entire night. By "their version" I mean a lot of shit wasn't right.

The first time Omar Narvaez came up, the leader said to the other three, "This guys sucks. He's one of the worst players in the big leagues." Narvaez promptly doubled. The next time he came up the guy was going on again about how terrible Narvaez is- three run homer. Later in the game, with men on first and second Narvaez dropped a perfect sac bunt and the same guy went nuts on Renteria. Now, I hate sacrificing as much as anyone and particualrly think it's dumb with two men on. It would have annoyed the fuck out of me with a contending team. But that isn't the case. Anyway, if Narvaez really sucks as much as you said he did the first two times he was up, what are the chances of him having a three hit game? Isn't advancing the runners and staying out of the double play a good strategy?

My wife said to me, "That seems like a terrible way to watch a baseball game."

Agreed. Kick back and relax. This is probably what Bernstein does at a game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

I went to dollar dog Wednesday thinking I could buy a feast for the family for about $10. It really is a good deal. A few bottles of soda later and I'm back to pushing the total near $50. I have no problem keeping beer prices high to dissuade drunkenness and I understand specialty items should charge a premium. I think it would go a long way to make the staples of a park visit reasonably priced.

Tickets to baseball are comparatively (to other sports) inexpensive. White Sox baseball right now is dirt cheap to enter and sit wherever you want with free parking available to those really interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

I went to dollar dog Wednesday thinking I could buy a feast for the family for about $10. It really is a good deal. A few bottles of soda later and I'm back to pushing the total near $50. I have no problem keeping beer prices high to dissuade drunkenness and I understand specialty items should charge a premium. I think it would go a long way to make the staples of a park visit reasonably priced.

Tickets to baseball are comparatively (to other sports) inexpensive. White Sox baseball right now is dirt cheap to enter and sit wherever you want with free parking available to those really interested.

The kid that runs one of the big White Sox Facebook groups (That's where Aggravated Bob is in case you're ever looking for him), goes to 100+ games a season. He isn't some rich guy, just a regular working man, but the White Sox are his passion. He doesn't drink and he generally refuses to buy Jerry's concessions. "CONCESSION OBSESSION" has become a meme within this group. Anyway, even this guy was willing to shell out for dollar hot dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You can bring a sealed bottle of water in to Sox games, and refill it at water fountains.

that will keep bringing 'em back

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
tommy wrote:
At least at Kaminskey they let you bring some stuff in (not sure about Cub Park). But still, if you have kids....forget it. Might as well go on a weekend trip somewhere instead.

Plus, as people have said, the game has gotten so slow. If I don't take my Adderall, I might as well be wasted because I can't follow it.

Wrigley allows outside food and a sealed bottle. I would stop by the 7-11 (RIP) at Sheffield and Addison for a bag of seeds and big water. Kept me content.

Wrigley tickets are outrageously priced. They want to squeeze brokers but they're killing casual fans.

I have better shit to do with $100-$150 than to see K,K,HR,K for 3.5 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

The kid that runs one of the big White Sox Facebook groups (That's where Aggravated Bob is in case you're ever looking for him), goes to 100+ games a season. He isn't some rich guy, just a regular working man, but the White Sox are his passion. He doesn't drink and he generally refuses to buy Jerry's concessions. "CONCESSION OBSESSION" has become a meme within this group. Anyway, even this guy was willing to shell out for dollar hot dogs.

what is the site? I want to be where Bob hangs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:23 pm 

Godfella wrote:
tommy wrote:

I don't drink either but I was determined to get a Sox helmet nacho when we were there in May. I think the nachos without the helmet was $16 and with helmet was $19? Anyway, that was my ballpark treat and I shared with Mrs Fella... a little. They were good and I got a souvenir for my work cave.

:lol: I actually talked my kids into getting ice cream just for the helmets!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Everyone was always for the player to get max amounts from the evil owners. They never realize the owners are having to not lose money. The extraordinary inflation in costs and earnings has priced out fans and many other intangibles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Teams are dumb and dont know how to bring people to the park.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

what is the site? I want to be where Bob hangs

Chicago White Sox Pride & Passion