It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Babe Ruth would suck
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Wrong. You guys seem to be suggesting that people "evolved" in two or three generations. There still has never been anyone who threw harder than Nolan Ryan. And nobody in the majors right now throws harder than Feller. Sure, they can take some middling reliever and throw 104 on the scoreboard so goofs like you jizz in your pants but that doesn't mean the guy threw harder than Walter Johnson.

And now you want to shrink Ruth. Well then, I think Carlos Zambrano was 6'0", 220. Hell, I saw the fearsome Teddy Bruschi on Sports Center last night and he looked about 5'8", 160.
That's why I asked before how well the teams Ruth played on would do today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Wrong. You guys seem to be suggesting that people "evolved" in two or three generations. There still has never been anyone who threw harder than Nolan Ryan. And nobody in the majors right now throws harder than Feller. Sure, they can take some middling reliever and throw 104 on the scoreboard so goofs like you jizz in your pants but that doesn't mean the guy threw harder than Walter Johnson.

And now you want to shrink Ruth. Well then, I think Carlos Zambrano was 6'0", 220. Hell, I saw the fearsome Teddy Bruschi on Sports Center last night and he looked about 5'8", 160.

Or conversely , I’m sure last years Orioles team would’ve went 154-0 in 1927 with 117 no-hitters playing against those inferior junk ball throwing stiffs teams used to run out there back then .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
312player wrote:
Imo Ruth never saw a heater over 93

I don't think he saw a heater over 90. According to Fastball, a documentary, Johnson was I think, high 80's.

Feller and Ryan were the fastest in history. It's not a matter of evolution. It's just scientific analysis that was made. If you look at the throwing mechanics of these early guys, you can see they are kinda fucked up. Walter Johnson, high 80's, was all arm. A tweak would put him low 90's.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Walt Williams Neck wrote:

That's from the late 30s. When Ruth was 25 he looked like Bryce Harper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, if you took the '27 Yankees and brought them en masse in a time machine to 2018 I don't think they would dominate. In general people were smaller, nutrition was worse, etc. But if you could implant the fetuses of the guys on that team into women who would give birth to them in 1990, I would say they would dominate more than they did in 1927.

That really has nothing to do with Ruth though. He's a complete outlier. He was so big and fast for a guy that size in his time. He's just like Harper but playing back then.

Here's why this is a dumb argument. What if I said Michael Jordan would be a good bench player if he played today. I mean, players are bigger, stronger, and they shoot better. Jordan had to beat slobs like Charles Barkley who got drunk every night and ate hot dogs. That would be pretty fucking silly, right? But it's like every generation thinks that "evolution" somehow peaked with their favorite players.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Babe Ruth would be lucky to have the career of Tim Anderson today.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Babe Ruth would be lucky to have the career of Tim Anderson today.

Frank....I'm your biggest fan....and I get it: you've been up all night feeding the bambino....but this is the Great Bambino.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Here's why this is a dumb argument. What if I said Michael Jordan would be a good bench player if he played today. I mean, players are bigger, stronger, and they shoot better. Jordan had to beat slobs like Charles Barkley who got drunk every night and ate hot dogs. That would be pretty fucking silly, right? But it's like every generation thinks that "evolution" somehow peaked with their favorite players.
I think the big leap in terms of "evolution" was the concept of playing sports as a job. Pretty much every player back then had other jobs besides Ruth, who was an actor. It was a much smaller leap but youth sports, mostly because you could make a lot of money as an adult, improved greatly too.

I agree with you completely that Babe Ruth, if born in the 1980s, would be a dominant player now. You aren't that far ahead of everyone in your time without being able to do it in your time with the notable exception of basketball players who relied completely on overmatching their opponents based on height.

To me, this discussion is more about Babe Ruth as the exact player he was back then and I don't think he would be very good without major adjustments. That isn't a knock on him. There are MLB players now that haven't been able to adjust to the concept of the shift because they grew up in an era where it didn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
It was almost 100 years ago but here’s an interesting article about a “study” of Ruth done in the twenties. Take it for what it’s worth.

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/ ... run-hitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
To me, this discussion is more about Babe Ruth as the exact player he was back then and I don't think he would be very good without major adjustments. That isn't a knock on him. There are MLB players now that haven't been able to adjust to the concept of the shift because they grew up in an era where it didn't exist.

Ruth made the ultimate adjustments: he went from being mainly a pitcher to a batter and as a batter almost totally recreated the game. He could make any adjustment that was required of him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
tommy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ruth made the ultimate adjustments: he went from being mainly a pitcher to a batter and as a batter almost totally recreated the game. He could make any adjustment that was required of him.

Babe Ruth would be just fine in today’s game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
It was almost 100 years ago but here’s an interesting article about a “study” of Ruth done in the twenties. Take it for what it’s worth.

https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/ ... run-hitter

Interesting. Sounds like what they say about Ted Williams and his eyesight....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 am 

Ruth used a 47 ounce bat because he was under the false impression that big bat, big power. It didn't hurt him because he didn't have to deal with speed. Today a hitting coach would laugh at him. Ruth would soon find out that to hit Chapman, he needs to use a lighter bat.

Just because pitching sucked in Ruth's time doesn't extrapolate to Ruth sucking today. But there's just not a chance he's Babe fucking Ruth in today's game. There's just too many animals coming at you from all angles for him to dominate like he did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 am 

Nardi wrote:
Ruth used a 47 ounce bat because he was under the false impression that big bat, big power. It didn't hurt him because he didn't have to deal with speed. Today a hitting coach would laugh at him. Ruth would soon find out that to hit Chapman, he needs to use a lighter bat.

Just because pitching sucked in Ruth's time doesn't extrapolate to Ruth sucking today. But there's just not a chance he's Babe fucking Ruth in today's game. There's just too many animals coming at you from all angles for him to dominate like he did.

Probably, but they're playing the game he invented. Fuck the phrase "dead ball era." Baseball's timeline should be BBR and ABR. Whomever coined the phrase "Copernican shift" should be embarrassed; it should be "Ruthian shift." In fact, I am gonna find the coiner's grave and place a post-it note with the word "Jerkass" on it (before removing it out of guilt and a fear that the person's ghost will haunt me).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:20 am 

tommy wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Probably, but they're playing the game he invented. Fuck the phrase "dead ball era." Baseball's timeline should be BBR and ABR. Whomever coined the phrase "Copernican shift" should be embarrassed; it should be "Ruthian shift." In fact, I am gonna find the coiner's grave and place a post-it note with the word "Jerkass" on it (before removing it out of guilt and a fear that the person's ghost will haunt me).

You're posts are Ruthian. They dominate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 am 

Nardi wrote:
He was in MLB for 12 or 13 years before he became a "fat piece of shit". There's more film when he was a "fat piece of shit" so you remember him as a "fat piece of shit".

:lol:

I was joking. I know all about Babe Ruth and how great he was.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 am 

312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Pedro would strike out this fat piece of shit with ease

This is your best post in 2018 and I agree

Now go watch Major Payne and Div 3 FF

Haha...I wrote that in 312anese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nardi wrote:
He was in MLB for 12 or 13 years before he became a "fat piece of shit". There's more film when he was a "fat piece of shit" so you remember him as a "fat piece of shit".

:lol:

I was joking. I know all about Babe Ruth and how great he was.

Ah... nevermind. I'm flopping around the bottom of the boat. Do you mind throwing me back in the water please?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm 

The entire nation wanted to be a baseball player when Ruth was making his way up. There were enough good players to have multiple minor league teams on each level. Competition was fierce every single day.

Dan Bernstein can turn around a modern 95 mph fastball.

People called difficult accomplishments "Herculean" for millenia before Ruth, then they became "Ruthian".

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The entire nation wanted to be a baseball player when Ruth was making his way up.
I'm not sure about that. Pretty much everyone who wasn't Babe Ruth had to sell cars or pump gas to live because they didn't make very much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The entire nation wanted to be a baseball player when Ruth was making his way up.

and most of them were allowed to play in the league if they were good enough

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

and most of them were allowed to play in the league if they were good enough

I think the pool of players was larger in Ruth's time. Sure, now blacks play and guys from outside the U.S. play, but there's just as good a chance that the best baseball player might be riding a skateboard at the X Games or playing point guard for an NBA team. It's like dolphin said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Relating it to the Original 6 years of the NHL. The talent pool was only Canada and the northern US, but there were only 6 teams at the highest level. Every team was essentially an all star team. Drop those old guys into this new era as teens and quite a few of them would end up being stars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:
Relating it to the Original 6 years of the NHL. The talent pool was only Canada and the northern US, but there were only 6 teams at the highest level. Every team was essentially an all star team. Drop those old guys into this new era as teens and quite a few of them would end up being stars.

That's not entirely true. The Rangers and Black Hawks were no all-star teams for much of that time, they were just the Kansas City A's for Detroit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sure, now blacks play and guys from outside the U.S. play, but there's just as good a chance that the best baseball player might be riding a skateboard at the X Games or playing point guard for an NBA team. It's like dolphin said.

Agreed. Someone give Arcidiacono a bat and get him the fuck off the Bulls roster.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, if you took the '27 Yankees and brought them en masse in a time machine to 2018 I don't think they would dominate. In general people were smaller, nutrition was worse, etc. But if you could implant the fetuses of the guys on that team into women who would give birth to them in 1990, I would say they would dominate more than they did in 1927.

That really has nothing to do with Ruth though. He's a complete outlier. He was so big and fast for a guy that size in his time. He's just like Harper but playing back then.

I'm with you about Ruth being great in any era but comparing him to Harper is laughable.

Look at some of the photos of the basketball players from the 70's and 80's. Most had very little body fat and ALL had better endurance than the players today.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
Look at some of the photos of the basketball players from the 70's and 80's. Most had very little body fat and ALL had better endurance than the players today.

Everyone was so skinny! You didn't see basketball players who looked like they could moonlight as tight ends.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Curious Hair wrote:
Nas wrote:

Everyone was so skinny! You didn't see basketball players who looked like they could moonlight as tight ends.

Agreed

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm not sure about that. Pretty much everyone who wasn't Babe Ruth had to sell cars or pump gas to live because they didn't make very much.

They also didn't want/need as much.

I went through one of those old tenements off of Taylor Street that had been converted and I didn't think it was big enough for my wife and I. Meanwhile, each unit probably housed a large and extended family

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:08 pm 

the mechanics of hitting the ball are the same today as they were forever. Ruth hit them out of ballparks. Maybe his home runs would only go as far as Abreu's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next