It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on Jay Jaffe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I love reading his Hall of Fame candidate profiles this time of the year, but I think he has a far too permissive stance on steroid users in The Hall. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
never heard o' him.

who the fuck is that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'm extremely permissive on roid use. They deserve to go in. To not have them in is to ignore a part of history, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 pm 

He developed JAWS, which is a metric for comparing various Hall of Fame candidates/Hall of Famers from different eras. He used to write for Sports Illustrated and he now writes for Fangraphs. He analyses every major candidate on the Hall of Fame ballot and compares them to guys currently in The Hall. Here are his thoughts on Edgar Martinez:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jaws-an ... -martinez/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
NO ROIDS GUYS PERIOD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:35 pm 

newper wrote:
I'm extremely permissive on roid use. They deserve to go in. To not have them in is to ignore a part of history, IMHO.

It's definitely part of history. I just think you have to be careful. Certain guys were great solely because they used roids (Sosa & McGwire), other guys would have been great without the roid use (Bonds & Clemens).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Warren Newson wrote:
newper wrote:

It's definitely part of history. I just think you have to be careful. Certain guys were great solely because they used roids (Sosa & McGwire), other guys would have been great without the roid use (Bonds & Clemens).

no way. they knew what they were doing. they knew they were risking their legacy's. Letting cheaters in that era degrades guys like Frank Thomas who never did roids.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:34 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
whistler wrote:
never heard o' him.

who the fuck is that?

King of Zamunda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
HawaiiYou wrote:
no way. they knew what they were doing. they knew they were risking their legacy's. Letting cheaters in that era degrades guys like Frank Thomas who never did roids.

Letting in Harold Baines does far more to degrade Frank Thomas than letting in Barry Bonds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Everyone got fat and happy from the roids (players, owners, media, etc). It’s ludicrous that they’re being left out. Vote them in based on their numbers, and add a narrative at the museum, stating that steroid use was rampant during the 20-25 year span. Those years were entertaining as hell. Ignoring it is doing a disservice to future generations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
newper wrote:

There are a lot of assumptions there in when guys began juicing up. I know the conventional wisdom is that Bonds already had Hall of Famer numbers when he began juicing, but do we really know that? He had Hall of Fame numbers when he got in bed with BALCO. We don't really know what he did before that. We also don't know if Frank Thomas is clean. But there's no way I think Sammy Sosa was a better ballplayer than Harold Baines or Andre Dawson or Dave Parker. It's not an easy thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Big Chicagoan wrote:
whistler wrote:
never heard o' him.

who the fuck is that?

King of Zamunda

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
newper wrote:

There are a lot of assumptions there in when guys began juicing up. I know the conventional wisdom is that Bonds already had Hall of Famer numbers when he began juicing, but do we really know that? He had Hall of Fame numbers when he got in bed with BALCO. We don't really know what he did before that. We also don't know if Frank Thomas is clean. But there's no way I think Sammy Sosa was a better ballplayer than Harold Baines or Andre Dawson or Dave Parker. It's not an easy thing.

Even if they let the steroid players in , I still don’t think McGwire is a HOF’er. Edgar Martinez has to be in before him at least .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Not nearly as funny as Al Jaffee.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Letting in Harold Baines does far more to degrade Frank Thomas than letting in Barry Bonds.

I wouldn't call Frank a roid guy . The roid guys are confirmed cheats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 am 

I find Hall of Fame talk mind numbing. Who cares?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
newper wrote:

I don't want to read too much into your comments, but it seems like you might be in the Jaffe school, of "we can't tell what happened, so let's just count all the numbers." I think there were certain guys who were rare talents and likely would have made The Hall without the roids (Bonds, Clemens, Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez) some middle of the road guys, where you can't really tell (Bagwell, Piazza, Pudge Rodriguez), and some guys who are only in the conversation because of the roids (Sosa, McWire, Palmiero). It's a subjective call, but Hall voting has always been subjective.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I find Hall of Fame talk mind numbing. Who cares?
MANY Cubs fans; viewtopic.php?f=33&t=115469

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 pm 

Whatever you think of Hall of Fame talk, articles like this one:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jaws-and-th ... es-part-1/

where Jaffe highlights good but not great players, are a fun trip down memory lane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
The hall has forever been tarnished by the White Sox machine ramming Harold Baines in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:
Whatever you think of Hall of Fame talk, articles like this one:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jaws-and-th ... es-part-1/

where Jaffe highlights good but not great players, are a fun trip down memory lane.

His piece on Eric Chavez was pretty interesting.