It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Overall, I think the person who loves baseball is going to love it regardless of the number of walks or strikeouts, and the person who doesn't like baseball isn't going to be swayed into liking it because a team makes more contact.
I think the pace of play is far more of an issue than walks or strikeouts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Overall, I think the person who loves baseball is going to love it regardless of the number of walks or strikeouts, and the person who doesn't like baseball isn't going to be swayed into liking it because a team makes more contact.

Possibly. No one really complains when they watch their pitcher win a complete game 16K close one that comes in at 2 hours and change.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Walks definitely contribute to that.

Anyway, baseball is perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
GoldenJet wrote:
The high homerun/strikeout strategy is similar to the NBA eliminating the post game and letting everyone shoot 3s.

Very good point. The NBA game has become unwatchable to me. It really isn't basketball anymore. If I want to see a well coached and played basketball game, I go and watch good high school teams play.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Warren Newson wrote:
Bill James has been a net positive for the game, and anyone who is ranting raving anytime they hear another person cite to wins or RBI to attempt to prove a point has emotional problems that transcend baseball. I also think he's brought along a new generation of fans, although those fans seem to be more interested in what the general manager is doing than actually watching the games.

James is fine. I'd rather listen to anyone rather than Brian Kenny. He is a pompous ass who pontificates ad naseum about his sabermetric crapola. Give me someone that is between the old school guys and the computer geeks. It is still a very simple game to play and manage.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:54 am 

The Hawk wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Bill James has been a net positive for the game, and anyone who is ranting raving anytime they hear another person cite to wins or RBI to attempt to prove a point has emotional problems that transcend baseball. I also think he's brought along a new generation of fans, although those fans seem to be more interested in what the general manager is doing than actually watching the games.

James is fine. I'd rather listen to anyone rather than Brian Kenny. He is a pompous ass who pontificates ad naseum about his sabermetric crapola. Give me someone that is between the old school guys and the computer geeks. It is still a very simple game to play and manage.

God forbid baseball wised up and worked to find a reasonable middle ground :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:16 pm 

Not while the Ivy Leaguers are in charge. They're scared to death of the baseball guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Hawk wrote:
It is still a very simple game to play and manage.
Opinions vary.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The Hawk wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
The high homerun/strikeout strategy is similar to the NBA eliminating the post game and letting everyone shoot 3s.

Very good point. The NBA game has become unwatchable to me. It really isn't basketball anymore. If I want to see a well coached and played basketball game, I go and watch good high school teams play.

This morning on M&H they were debating whether the NFL should revise the replay rules (to prevent another Saints situation) and Haugh said it would make the last two minutes of the game unbearable with all the delays due to reviews/challenges. Dustin then said the extra time didn't matter because fans of the NBA don't mind that the last two minutes are the same way with fouls, free throws, and timeouts. To me, that's not really an argument in favor of moving in that direction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 pm