Post subject: Ruth and Gehrig take BP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
This is pretty cool:

https://youtu.be/jXftJC8FOfo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Yeah, that was.

Who the hell was throwing BP? Lucas Giolito? Hit the plate for Christ's sake.

Gehrig makes the Babe look small.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm 

Man they had giant hitches in their swings. That shit wouldn’t play today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:

Babe was all hitch with those feet close together.

I think they'd both adjust fine, though.

I love how they shared a bat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Check out that guy's whole channel. History buffs should love it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm 

tommy wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Babe was all hitch with those feet close together.

I think they'd both adjust fine, though.

I love how they shared a bat.

They used a 40 oz bat against guys throwing 85. Never had to worry about breaking it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
tommy wrote:
Yeah, that was.

Babe Ruth was 2 inches taller than Gehirg, Ruth was 6'2" and Gehrig was 6'0". Ruth also had a huge upper body, I think he made Gehrig look pretty small.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
The amount of hip rotation these guys get is incredible.

Look at the finish - no weight is left on the trail leg. That's true power right there.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keyser Soze wrote:

:lol: Yeah, Kyler Murray plays today, not Babe Ruth.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 pm 

Powerhouse233 wrote:

Babe Ruth was 2 inches taller than Gehirg, Ruth was 6'2" and Gehrig was 6'0". Ruth also had a huge upper body, I think he made Gehrig look pretty small.

Did you see his back, forearms, and legs? He made the Babe look small. Edit: Or smaller.

Look, I'm three inches taller than Mickey Mantle was.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Ever wonder, if Lou Gehrig never became famous, what would they call Lou Gehrig's disease? Crazy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Ever wonder, if Lou Gehrig never became famous, what would they call Lou Gehrig's disease? Crazy

Probably ALS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
tommy wrote:
Powerhouse233 wrote:

Did you see his back, forearms, and legs? He made the Babe look small. Edit: Or smaller.

Gehrig was an impressive athlete but Ruth's upper body dwarfed Gehrig's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 pm 

And speaking of diseases, the one disease I ain't want is Pete Gray's Disease

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 pm 

Powerhouse233 wrote:
tommy wrote:
Powerhouse233 wrote:

Gehrig was an impressive athlete but Ruth's upper body dwarfed Gehrig's.

Maybe Lou with his muscular ass, thin waist, and wide shoulders just cuts a better figure. Why the fuck am I replying?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

:lol: Yeah, Kyler Murray plays today, not Babe Ruth.

TIMMAAAYYYYYY just came up in the wrong era. He would be the greatest player in the history of baseball if he had been around in Ruths day

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:05 pm 

What the fuck are you butt hurt fuckin retards talking about. Leave your MAGA hats out of this. Good god grow the fuck up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Ruth woulda crushed a Clincher with that swing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
What the fuck are you butt hurt fuckin retards talking about. Leave your MAGA hats out of this. Good god grow the fuck up.

:lol: Seems like you're the one who is butthurt. You say idiotic stuff and then get angry when it gets pointed out. What's retarded is calling Adam Engel a Hall of Famer and saying Ruth and Gehrig couldn't play today.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

:lol: Seems like you're the one who is butthurt. You say idiotic stuff and then get angry when it gets pointed out. What's retarded is calling Adam Engel a Hall of Famer and saying Ruth and Gehrig couldn't play today.

BBBBuuuttt the hitches in their swings !!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 am 

Pete Gray could easily play Fortnight today. (In truth, I don't even know what Fortnight is.)

Before you bash him, hear me out. In fourth grade, I got caught crying in the liberry when I was reading The Pete Gray Story and I got to the part where the dual-armed players returned from beating Russia or whatevs and the greedy owners sent Pete--the fastest man in the bigs!--back down. Anyway, someone asked me what the tears were for, and I was like, "I have an eye condition," and I had to maintain the lie for about two more years.

Anyway, Gray was a natural right-hander who chose, for a variety of reasons, to bat, throw, and catch lefty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Powerhouse233 wrote:
tommy wrote:
Yeah, that was.

That is true. Gehrig was bigger in his lower half. You are right about Ruth having a huge upper half.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Keyser Soze wrote:

Jorr: I believe the best players from the past could make adjustments and play in this era.

Keyser: Fuck you MAGA retards.

Leash you have a new Trump derangement clubhouse leader.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Good stuff. The notion that Ruth and Gehrig couldn't play today is the clap trap from people today who think that today's athletes are just so superior to those who preceded them. They just ignore the pure physical talent of yesterday's athletes who didn't have all of the equipment, supplements, travel advantages, training, MONEY, etc. of the players today. Most baseball players back then had to have second jobs just to make ends meet. Now, a guy just coming into the majors is pretty much a millionaire for cripes sake.

And I have to laugh when I hear so-called "experts" talk about the top end speed of today's pitchers and that Ruth and Gehrig would never hit these guys. Hilarious. And they talk about how he hit with a 40-46 ounce bat and that he wouldn't be able to bring that bat around. What these "experts" as they typically do are clueless about what someone like Ruth would do. Do they think that the greatest hitter of all time(Ruth) wouldn't maybe go to a LIGHTER BAT?

Ever take a look at the HANDS of Ruth? He had huge hands and he whipped those hands through his stroke. The notion that Ruth couldn't turn around a 95-100mph fastball is ridiculous. He'd eat up a fastball at that speed.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Pete Gray could easily play Fortnight today. (In truth, I don't even know what Fortnight is.)

Before you bash him, hear me out. In fourth grade, I got caught crying in the liberry when I was reading The Pete Gray Story and I got to the part where the dual-armed players returned from beating Russia or whatevs and the greedy owners sent Pete--the fastest man in the bigs!--back down. Anyway, someone asked me what the tears were for, and I was like, "I have an eye condition," and I had to maintain the lie for about two more years.

Anyway, Gray was a natural right-hander who chose, for a variety of reasons, to bat, throw, and catch lefty.

I play in a fantasy baseball league that is undoubtedly the longest continuously running league in existence. It's been going since the mid-80s. I guess Dan Okrent and his friends invented Rotisserie baseball in New York around the same time this league got started. Obviously there were no Yahoo or ESPN leagues at the time. The scoring and categories had to be made up. I believe a guy named Dave Weisbecker created our scoring system. There are a bunch of arcane rules and only Friday games count (with Saturday as a backup if the guy didn't play on Friday).

Anyway, one year I had Jim Abbott on my team. He was probably my fourth option as a starter. I didn't really like him because strikeouts are a key category in our league and there was a bonus for 10 strikeouts. You wanted guys like Randy Johnson or Pedro, not Jim Abbott.

We used to meet at Quencher's on Thursday nights to turn in our lineups. One Thursday during a drunken discussion I happened to say, "I don't like Jim Abbott. He's only got one hand." That earned me the nickname, "The Minister of Sensitivity". Abbott took his revenge against me though, as he was sitting on my bench the Saturday night he tossed his no-hitter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: Jorr and RFDC doin work in this thread.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I play in a fantasy baseball league that is undoubtedly the longest continuously running league in existence. It's been going since the mid-80s. I guess Dan Okrent and his friends invented Rotisserie baseball in New York around the same time this league got started. Obviously there were no Yahoo or ESPN leagues at the time. The scoring and categories had to be made up. I believe a guy named Dave Weisbecker created our scoring system. There are a bunch of arcane rules and only Friday games count (with Saturday as a backup if the guy didn't play on Friday).

Anyway, one year I had Jim Abbott on my team. He was probably my fourth option as a starter. I didn't really like him because strikeouts are a key category in our league and there was a bonus for 10 strikeouts. You wanted guys like Randy Johnson or Pedro, not Jim Abbott.

We used to meet at Quencher's on Thursday nights to turn in our lineups. One Thursday during a drunken discussion I happened to say, "I don't like Jim Abbott. He's only got one hand." That earned me the nickname, "The Minister of Sensitivity". Abbott took his revenge against me though, as he was sitting on my bench the Saturday night he tossed his no-hitter.

Don Tiny wrote:
He had a good year or two and was decent for a few others. The way he started, I thought he was gonna be a star. My brother sold baseball cards at the time and Abbott was the card that kids wanted most.

Abbott is a guy whose life shows you what making good decisions can do. At some point, he chose to throw as a lefty, and, while his arm kinda fell off after a couple good seasons and he was not a Hall of Famer, he had a good college career and ten years in the Bigs. What if he decided to throw righty? Who knows what would have happened in the great Slot Machine of Life. Maybe he doesn't even make his high school team. Maybe he becomes a philosophy professor. Maybe he becomes something more hands-on, like a fluffer. In any case, it looks like he made the right decision. Once again, it just goes to show you how life is made by the decisions we make.

Thus, I hope that tonight, Mr. Abbott puts his hands together not for the Patriots or Rams or Shockers or Cyclones (I think the Wichita State chicks are taking on the Iowa State chicks in hoops tonight) or any other team, but for an individual--an individual named Jim Abbott. I know I will be applauding him with vim and vigor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Gehrig

Curious Hair wrote:

The strident sports section in Jacobin recently fisked Gehrig's political beliefs and provided clear suggestive evidence that linked other German-Americans to anti-Semitism. We're not just talking about your father's old-fashioned working class Archie Bunkerism here but actual praxis, the kind that still creates Jewish ghettoes in places like Manhattan and Northbrook and makes Jews act in ways that can only be classified as annoying and weird. Fine, go ahead and lionize Gehrig and Gehringer and H. Greenberg and Esteban German and the German-American bundists whose combined and generational KKK-ery has gummed up the works for half-Jews for decades and are attempting to re-appropriate the forces of corporate culture in order to dictate to the working classes who the real enemies (read: Jews) are. Go right ahead and put on some Wagner and turn it up to eleven. How could anyone criticize you for doing so? It's just music. And baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Cool video, but I wish they had taken some shots of where the balls were hit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:35 pm 

Ah, the 312 was the best one!! I get it, though.