pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/giants-min ... 37118.html

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post subject: Re: Paying to Play?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Its a market economy. Millions want to make money, any money, to play baseball and chase the dream.

Meanwhile not a lot of people want to really watch it. Trying to run a business off gate and concessions revenues in this day and age is brutal. You want these guys to be making middle class incomes? Say goodbye to minor league baseball as you know it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

Antarctica wrote:
Its a market economy. Millions want to make money, any money, to play baseball and chase the dream.

Meanwhile not a lot of people want to really watch it. Trying to run a business off gate and concessions revenues in this day and age is brutal. You want these guys to be making middle class incomes? Say goodbye to minor league baseball as you know it.

I didn't think that they were making a killing but I thought they were making a somewhat decent wage. It appears that many are literally PAYING to play for the love of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 pm 

Nas wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

I didn't think that they were making a killing but I thought they were making a somewhat decent wage. It appears that many are literally PAYING to play for the love of the game.

Nobody is forcing this life on them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm 

I am not sure I follow exactly what he means. So when he says he had to pay to play and lists the dollar amounts for each year...where is that money going and for what?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 pm 

Nas wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

They make less than minimum wage and MLB was exempted recently by congress to keep it that way. I am shocked at how little MLB organizations put into feeding their minor league players properly.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

They make less than minimum wage and MLB was exempted recently by congress to keep it that way. I am shocked at how little MLB organizations put into feeding their minor league players properly.

How much time can you commit to getting better when you need multiple jobs just to play and eat?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

How much time can you commit to getting better when you need multiple jobs just to play and eat?

I know a fringe prospect who got to Double A but had to quit when his wife had their son. The amount of money he was making in construction during the off season was too much to keep going on the off chance he could get a call up if he had a good season. Once he was sent back to Double A after training camp instead of Triple A he retired. I am sure if he had been single living at home, he would of kept going for another year or two, but priorities change with kids involved and you are in your mid 20s.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I expect Tyler Cyr to be released.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
This really isn’t different than any other sport thou.

I guy in my neighborhood made top 500 in the world at tennis and quit after a minor injury. Too expensive to be a pro athlete. They had to pay travel, coaching, court time and entry fees.

He said once you made top 100 in the world you were probably would be making 100k a year after expenses. Probably the same with golf.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
He didn't even get into the housing bullshit. Unless you have host families like they do for the KC Cougars you are on your own. This is how you end up going 4 or 5 deep in a shit hole apartment. Depending on where the affiliate is you could be paying out the ass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 am 

Cyr more

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 am 

I have had some long conversations with the guy who assists with our travel team pitching during the winter. He is in the brewer organization and was in A+ this year. I'll have to ask him his thoughts. He went to an Ivy league school so he probably has some options outside of baseball. Still, in your early 20s, I can think of worse experiences in life, even if you aren't making money. I'd say the cutoff is 26. If you aren't at least in AAA and pushing for an MLB spot, it is probably just a vanity.

My first job after school was working on a political campaign. I made $12K for probably 80 hour weeks with round the clock availability. I had a blast and it was a great life experience. I obviously could not have done it if I if had a family.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Douchebag wrote:
Cyr more

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
do whatever you want. if you don't like it find another job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I firmly believe a minor league player should be able to feed, clothe and shelter themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:06 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I firmly believe a minor league player should be able to feed, clothe and shelter themselves.

Congress disagrees. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:59 pm 

Its just another sob story about how society doesn't value dreamchasing millennials and zoomers enough. You could rewrite it word for word and it would describe all the wannabe bloggers, actors, musicians etc. that want everyone else to bankroll them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Congress disagrees. :lol:

Right! Even Democrats.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Antarctica wrote:

That's where the signing bonuses come into play. And those are really only large enough to supplement basic life expenses for a couple seasons once you get into the late teens rounds.

I know of a couple of kids who were at that level. Two years and out. One of them had enough cash and credit to come back home and buy a two flat.

I don't think that eating was a problem though, another former team/classmate who was a high first round pick was helping them out from time to time from what I heard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:04 am 

There is a former high round pick, long time minor leaguer and cup of coffee MLB player with a youtube chanel that provides some great insights into the life of a minor leaguer. Antonelli Baseball. He will tell you things like how the meals change as you move up each level of milb.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TouchEmAllBaseball

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:16 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
There is a former high round pick, long time minor leaguer and cup of coffee MLB player with a youtube chanel that provides some great insights into the life of a minor leaguer. Antonelli Baseball. He will tell you things like how the meals change as you move up each level of milb.

Sounds like the minors will challenge how much you really love the game unless you're a star.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Sounds like the minors will challenge how much you really love the game unless you're a star.

It's probably endurable if you keep progressing but being in a city for a second year must suck. On the other hand, you can get laid pretty much every night and treat life like a sleepaway camp for a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:51 pm 

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote: