It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:05 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Remember in the 80s, we had WWOR on cable in the Chicago area? I think it used to be cable channel 8.

They would occassionally show Mets games. It was kind of a superstation. So what happened to it? When did it disappear from the Chicago area, and why?

At the time it was cool to be able to see Mets games, Braves games on TBS, and Cubs & White Sox games. Weird to remember that WWOR would be included in the program listings in the local TV Guide here in Chicago.

So what happened to WWOR? Anybody remember it? And did u actually watch Mets games on there when they were on?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
WWOR went off TCI cable in the NW burbs when either CLTV or the Travel Channel came on, which would have been late '93 or early '94. It probably got dropped because bandwidth was a lot more finite then, and with the rise of specialty channels in the '90s, a New York independent showing second-rate reruns was redundant. It's still around in New York, but I don't think it's had superstation status for at least 20 years. I feel like we discussed this a month ago.

Channel 50 has been 8 on cable for as long as I can remember.

EDIT: as for the Mets, how long were they on the superstation feed, I wonder? I know sometime in the early-to-mid '90s when teams all finally started taking TV seriously, MLB and the NBA started getting very cranky about the superstations and charging them fees to reach outside their territories. The Cubs started offloading games to cable in '96, I think, and the Braves started Turner South around the same time. (The Sox had always been more committed to cable anyway, as we all know.) It wouldn't surprise me if the Mets backed down from superstation telecasts earliest and hardest, effectively leaving the national WOR feed with no destination programming.

Here's Sandomir on the superstation wars from 1995, and the Mets aren't even mentioned: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/10/spor ... overs.html

Quote:
Last Friday's ruling by a United States District judge on superstation telecasts was a split victory for the Chicago Bulls and WGN, who first sued the league in 1990. Every antitrust argument waged by the league was tossed out handily by Judge Hubert L. Will, as he said WGN could send 30 games a season to more than 30 million cable subscribers. Yet, Will stopped short of granting WGN's ultimate request to air 41 telecasts.

"We disposed for good that notion that superstation telecasts adversely affect the ratings of other teams," said Joel Chefitz, a Bulls attorney.

But the N.B.A. persuaded Will that it can impose a fee on WGN's telecasts, but not one as onerous as the one the league proposed.

Amazingly, Commissioner David Stern said the league will appeal the 30-game limit, even though the league's rationale has repeatedly proved faulty. If the league couldn't prove that the WGN telecasts were impacting other markets when Michael Jordan was playing, he would appear to have even more of a problem with Jordan retired.

It's time for Stern to surrender -- which he won't.

Does this ruling affect baseball, the other superstation-impacted sport? Probably not too much. When he was commissioner, Fay Vincent waged a holy war on WGN, TV home of the Cubs and White Sox, and TBS, land of the Braves. But he lost. Will's ruling probably confirms the WGN and TBS rights, and the validity of baseball's superstation fee system.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am 

I remember watching Gary Carter's home run to beat the Cards on opening day in '85 on WWOR. When the Cubs would play the Mets I watch part of the game on WWOR to hear their commentary on the Cubs. It was also on WWOR where I first saw the Morton Downey Jr. show. I watched that religiously.... for a couple of months.