It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jeter, Walker HOF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
As I mentioned earlier, his OPS+, which adjusts for Coors field, was still better than ARod, Griffey, Reggie Jackson, and Vlad. The steroids question is a separate issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Caller Bob wrote:
How did a roider like Walker get in?

Same way Piazza did. I'd rather see Bonds and Clemens get in. At least there was a period of time where they were HOFers without help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Nardi wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Same way Piazza did. I'd rather see Bonds and Clemens get in. At least there was a period of time where they were HOFers without help.

This.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 pm 

Nas wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

This.

Bonds 60% Clemens 61%. It's ridiculous. They are punished because they are the best of the roiders. The 2nd tier gets in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Haw famed is a Hall that has Bill Mazeroski in it?

Well, he's the best defensive guy at his position and he hit the second most famous homer of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Larry Walker is a HoFer?

You don't think so? I'd certainly put him in before Baines and Dawson. It's not like he's purely a product of Colorado. He was good in Montreal and in St. Louis at the end of his career. If you think he was a juicer (I do), that's a different issue. My take is that Walker is there on the numbers but why do he and Piazza get in while Bonds and Clemens are kept out? The answer seems to be that the latter two guys are assholes.

He was a good ballplayer before he got to Colorado but he wasn't great. I'm always concerned about a guy who played during the steroid era and had some steroid power years getting in when he doesn't hit 400 home runs. Plus a guy doesn't go from .270 and 18 HR to .370 and 50 HR in a season without some help. A .313 average, 380 HR and 2000 hits doesn't scream HoFer to me in that era unless you're a catcher or a middle infielder.

I don't really need Walker in the Hall. I don't think he's the worst guy in there though. And even if you think he was a product of a ballpark, which he obviously was to some degree, I would say Chuck Klein and the Baker Bowl is a good comp for Walker and Coors and Klein is in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Terry's Peeps wrote:
After 10 years, it was determined Larry Walker is indeed a Hall of Famer.

At least Vlad got in first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, he's the best defensive guy at his position and he hit the second most famous homer of all time.

He's pretty famous. But so are the 8 men out. Fame as in the Hall of Fame, is a misnomer. Hall of Great is more apt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He's pretty famous. But so are the 8 men out. Fame as in the Hall of Fame, is a misnomer. Hall of Great is more apt.

Mazeroski was a seven time All-Star. I think ten or eleven time if you count the years they had two games. He won eight Gold Gloves. His offensive numbers are a little on the light side overall, but not for a middle infielder in his era. If you think he's borderline, then maybe that World Series home run to beat a team many thought was one of the best ever kicks him over the top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Mazeroski was a seven time All-Star. I think ten or eleven time if you count the years they had two games. He won eight Gold Gloves. His offensive numbers are a little on the light side overall, but not for a middle infielder in his era. If you think he's borderline, then maybe that World Series home run to beat a team many thought was one of the best ever kicks him over the top.

Honestly, I don't know shit about him other than that cheapy HR.

Just kidding. He hit the shit out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Honestly, I don't know shit about him other than that cheapy HR.

Just kidding. He hit the shit out of it.

Iconic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Og0gUKfvc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm guessing you've got Bobby Thompson #1.

I wonder if there isn't a serious challenge for #2 overall by the Kirk Gibson 1988 HR?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

All Star appearances are as fraudulent as counting Pro Bowls. Especially back then when every team got a guy on a roster. I've always been a fan of Baines, but even I can't tout his ASG games as a legit measuring stick vs. guys of his era. Not without laughing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm 

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I wonder if there isn't a serious challenge for #2 overall by the Kirk Gibson 1988 HR?

Not likely. No Boston or NYC team was involved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Podsednik.

:lol: Just kidding. Yeah, I'd have Thomson #1. That was a given for a long time. But I think the consensus has probably changed now though since those homers were so long ago. A younger guy might have Carter or Gibson as #1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

All Star appearances are as fraudulent as counting Pro Bowls. Especially back then when every team got a guy on a roster. I've always been a fan of Baines, but even I can't tout his ASG games as a legit measuring stick vs. guys of his era. Not without laughing.

I think Mazeroski was before every team got a man on the roster. It's not like he was Steve Swisher or something. He was the best second baseman in the NL for a good period of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think Mazeroski was before every team got a man on the roster. It's not like he was Steve Swisher or something. He was the best second baseman in the NL for a good period of time.

I honestly have always thought that was the rule since inception of the game, which was little more than a Depression era gimmick to give each of the teams a little extra promotion. As for the 2B position, there were/are fewer guys at that position because most couldn't hit, and even fewer had enough flair to sell tickets. He embodies that in total. Sandberg at least could hit and make the drunks happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I know Carter's was to win the WS, but Gibson's has to be better. He was ice cold coming off the bench, and was basically patched together with cotton balls and band aids by that point.

Podsednik having zero regular season HRs, then hitting a walkoff in the World Series doesn't get the love it deserves. If a Red Sox player did that in 2004 or 2007, it would be shown on highlight reels every chance they got.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Podsednik.

:lol: Just kidding. Yeah, I'd have Thomson #1. That was a given for a long time. But I think the consensus has probably changed now though since those homers were so long ago. A younger guy might have Carter or Gibson as #1.

Yeah I'd agree that with the passage of time some of the older memorable plays can fall down the list.

I'd think that the general consensus among baseball people/fans, is that you're looking at: Thompson, Maz, Fisk, Gibson, and Carter as your top 5 most famous HRs.

I mean maybe Bucky Dent squeezes Carter off that list, but I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If a Red Sox player did that in 2004 or 2007, it would be shown on highlight reels every chance they got.

Not far enough. There'd be at least two movies about it starring Mark Wahlberg as Podsednik.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Nardi wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Clemens was juicing from day one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Gibson and Carter's homers are ahead of Mazeroski's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Fisk 1975

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I know Carter's was to win the WS, but Gibson's has to be better. He was ice cold coming off the bench, and was basically patched together with cotton balls and band aids by that point.

Podsednik having zero regular season HRs, then hitting a walkoff in the World Series doesn't get the love it deserves. If a Red Sox player did that in 2004 or 2007, it would be shown on highlight reels every chance they got.

There is a lot of truth here. I'd argue that Podseknik's HR off of Lidge was more improbable than Gibson's HR off of Eckersley.

There was just a whole lot more going for that 1988 WS than for the 2005 WS. I'd argue that the star power was way more potent in 1988. The Bash Brothers were about the hottest thing in baseball, Canseco was a transcendent star. LA was probably baseball's most high profile market at the time. Hershiser had just set the consecutive scoreless inning streak, there were fewer playoff rounds to dilute the memorable moments. Eckersley was un-hittable at that time. Also there was the david vs goliath vibe to that series, especially with Hershiser not starting more than 2 games and Gibson all fucked up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Maz belonged in the HOF. People now look at the numbers and the game as it gets played now and downgrade the previous guys a lot. That's too bad. Maz was a terrific player. He, to me, was the National League comp to Little Louie Aparicio who to me still is the best defensive shortstop of all time. If you put Maz together with Louie in the same infield it would have been magic to watch.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
One Post wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

There is a lot of truth here. I'd argue that Podseknik's HR off of Lidge was more improbable than Gibson's HR off of Eckersley.

There was just a whole lot more going for that 1988 WS than for the 2005 WS. I'd argue that the star power was way more potent in 1988. The Bash Brothers were about the hottest thing in baseball, Canseco was a transcendent star. LA was probably baseball's most high profile market at the time. Hershiser had just set the consecutive scoreless inning streak, there were fewer playoff rounds to dilute the memorable moments. Eckersley was un-hittable at that time. Also there was the david vs goliath vibe to that series, especially with Hershiser not starting more than 2 games and Gibson all fucked up.

Gibson had the HUGE ADVANTAGE of having Vin Scully's call when it happened. The media since then has really played the drama of the event also.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Carter home run is the best and it isn't close. I was rooting for Wild Thing too. I would also put Pods in my top 5.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I like busting out the Joe Carter picture for only the most exceptional burns on this board. I think I Joe Carter a post maybe once, twice a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Nas wrote:
The Carter home run is the best and it isn't close. I was rooting for Wild Thing too. I would also put Pods in my top 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:18 am 
Site Admin

The Hawk wrote:
People now look at the numbers and the game as it gets played now and downgrade the previous guys a lot.

All based on the walk. Something guys like Aparicio and Maz weren't trying to take. So we've retroactively downgraded them and Tony Perez and Jim Rice and retroactively upgraded Santo, Dwight Evans, and Darrell Porter.