It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reinstate Pete Rose?
Yes 55%  55%  [ 16 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

He broke the number one rule of the game. It's right on a sign in every clubhouse. And I have no doubt he lost games on purpose which is a whole lot different than juicing up or stealing signs in an attempt to win games.

And I know people will argue that he claims he never stiffed his team. But he's lied the entire way through. First he never bet baseball. LIE. Then the story was that he never bet games his teams were in. LIE. Then it became, well, he only bet his team to win. I have to wonder if that was a LIE too. Because it's a lot harder to guarantee a win than it is to create a loss. And he owed a bunch of money to his bookmakers. Do we really think he draws the moral line at not losing a game on purpose?

And I know there's the argument that he likes to use himself that all he ever wanted to do was win. And who could question that one thing about Charlie Hustle? But I could completely see him justifying one purposeful loss by thinking "we're gonna finish second six games behind, what difference does it make if we're seven games behind?" Tell his bookmaker and trade the loss for wiping out what he owes.

And even if you're 100% convinced he never went in the tank, he has acknowledged betting on his team. What did that tell bookies/gamblers about the days he didn't bet on them? And did he handle his team differently on days he bet?

Beyond all that, the guy was a dick. False hustle and showboating all the way. Running a hundred miles an hour on a walk. Just a complete jagoff. If a black player had acted the way Rose did he would have been called a "hot dog". Instead this asswipe was an American hero who dipshits lauded for playing "the right way".

Fuck Pete Rose.

Yet you give Trump a free pass at every turn.

They can put Pete in the cheaters' wing of the HOF...after he's dead.

Are you really turning a baseball discussion into Donald Trump talk? Really?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 am 

The better question would be how you let anyone in now who plays fantasy baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Quality rant right there by JORR. :lol:

He's completely right. Rose is an absolute turd. The Dowd report is full of damning evidence.

Didn't Rose basically admit to nailing an underage girl?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 am 

Furious Styles wrote:

He should run for an Alabama Senate seat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

He broke the number one rule of the game. It's right on a sign in every clubhouse. And I have no doubt he lost games on purpose which is a whole lot different than juicing up or stealing signs in an attempt to win games.

And I know people will argue that he claims he never stiffed his team. But he's lied the entire way through. First he never bet baseball. LIE. Then the story was that he never bet games his teams were in. LIE. Then it became, well, he only bet his team to win. I have to wonder if that was a LIE too. Because it's a lot harder to guarantee a win than it is to create a loss. And he owed a bunch of money to his bookmakers. Do we really think he draws the moral line at not losing a game on purpose?

And I know there's the argument that he likes to use himself that all he ever wanted to do was win. And who could question that one thing about Charlie Hustle? But I could completely see him justifying one purposeful loss by thinking "we're gonna finish second six games behind, what difference does it make if we're seven games behind?" Tell his bookmaker and trade the loss for wiping out what he owes.

And even if you're 100% convinced he never went in the tank, he has acknowledged betting on his team. What did that tell bookies/gamblers about the days he didn't bet on them? And did he handle his team differently on days he bet?

Beyond all that, the guy was a dick. False hustle and showboating all the way. Running a hundred miles an hour on a walk. Just a complete jagoff. If a black player had acted the way Rose did he would have been called a "hot dog". Instead this asswipe was an American hero who dipshits lauded for playing "the right way".

Fuck Pete Rose.

Did he cheat the game as a player? I know that he finished his last 2 years as a part time player and manager. Is there evidence that he bet on baseball then?

For me, it has always boiled down to what Charlie Hustle did as a player. As a player, he was one of the greatest of all time and should have a plaque in the museum based on that. Whatever he did as a manager doesn't change his contributions to the game as a player.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:23 am 
100000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:

He's completely right. Rose is an absolute turd. The Dowd report is full of damning evidence.

I believe very few athletes are great men. None of that changes what he did on the field as a player. IMO that alone should determine if he should be allowed in the HoF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

Fuck Pete Rose.

Did he cheat the game as a player? I know that he finished his last 2 years as a part time player and manager. Is there evidence that he bet on baseball then?

For me, it has always boiled down to what Charlie Hustle did as a player. As a player, he was one of the greatest of all time and should have a plaque in the museum based on that. Whatever he did as a manager doesn't change his contributions to the game as a player.

I really doubt he suddenly started gambling when he became a manager. He's a bad guy.

I would combine the suggestions of Franky T and Golden Jet. Put him in the Hall posthumously with an explanation of what he did on his plaque. But I don't think he should be rewarded by being able to stand on a stage in Cooperstown. Until he dies let him continue to set up shop down the street and sell the bat that got the 4,192nd hit for the tenth time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

Fuck Pete Rose.

I really doubt he suddenly started gambling when he became a manager. He's a bad guy.

I would combine the suggestions of Franky T and Golden Jet. Put him in the Hall posthumously with an explanation of what he did on his plaque. But I don't think he should be rewarded by being able to stand on a stage in Cooperstown. Until he dies let him continue to set up shop down the street and sell the bat that got the 4,192nd hit for the tenth time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

Fuck Pete Rose.

Why are you so confident he lost games on purpose?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:52 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

Fuck Pete Rose.

Because I'm a scumbag gambler myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:10 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

I know how insane I am when it comes to something that I am physically competing in. Hell it took effort to turn that off to let my older kids beat me in games when they were younger. I'm confident Pete Rose takes that to another level. He may not have given a shit about things that he wasn't actively competing in but there is no doubt that a crazy guy like that would never purposely lose a game that he was physically involved in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Are you really turning a baseball discussion into Donald Trump talk? Really?

Just making an observation.

Keep your bike pants on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The greatest hitter in the game should be in the HOF. As should Joe Jackson. Besides, we all know Rose will probably get into the Hall at some point after he's dead.

Put them two in, kick Santo out.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

I know how insane I am when it comes to something that I am physically competing in. Hell it took effort to turn that off to let my older kids beat me in games when they were younger. I'm confident Pete Rose takes that to another level. He may not have given a shit about things that he wasn't actively competing in but there is no doubt that a crazy guy like that would never purposely lose a game that he was physically involved in.

If you owed a guy six figures that you didn't have and all you needed to do was pitch Ron Robinson instead of Mario Soto in a meaningless September game to get rid of that debt you might.

I might know my horse is razor sharp and in great form to win today. I still can't guarantee that win. A million things can happen in a horse race. But I can make sure the horse doesn't hit the board very easily.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Fuck Pete Rose.

Why?

Fuck Pete Rose.

Dan Patrick has hinted MANY times that he knows Rose didn't always bet on the Reds to win.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Franky T wrote:
Dan Patrick has hinted MANY times that he knows Rose didn't always bet on the Reds to win.

We’ve had this discussion before . You think someone would’ve outed this by now given all the publicity around it. “ yeah I have evidence Rose bet on the Reds to lose while managing “ instead of so and so heard blah blah that he did . I’ve never heard anything credible that says he did .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
badrogue17 wrote:
Franky T wrote:

We’ve had this discussion before . You think someone would’ve outed this by now given all the publicity around it. “ yeah I have evidence Rose bet on the Reds to lose while managing “ instead of so and so heard blah blah that he did . I’ve never heard anything credible that says he did .

The one reason I always thought of as to why no one turned up real evidence of Rose betting Reds to lose either playing or managing was the mob. I suspect they turned the screws on him and for once in their lives they kept quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

If you owed a guy six figures that you didn't have and all you needed to do was pitch Ron Robinson instead of Mario Soto in a meaningless September game to get rid of that debt you might.

I might know my horse is razor sharp and in great form to win today. I still can't guarantee that win. A million things can happen in a horse race. But I can make sure the horse doesn't hit the board very easily.

But there’s no guarantee that Ron Robinson was going to lose either . Maybe he pitches a gem or the other starter blows and the Reds light him up even if Robinson is bad . . So now Guido tells Rose you better really make sure your team loses next time ! Rose can’t control how guys will
play . Baseball performances are too unpredictable for a manger to make sure his team will lose .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

But there’s no guarantee that Ron Robinson was going to lose either . Maybe he pitches a gem or the other starter blows and the Reds light him up even if Robinson is bad . . So now Guido tells Rose you better really make sure your team loses next time ! Rose can’t control how guys will
play . Baseball performances are too unpredictable for a manger to make sure his team will lose .

I don't think that's how it works.

The debt is cancelled for starting Robinson when no one else knows that he is going to start.

I believe he also bet games above and beyond trying to fix games.

A guy in my neighborhood was Paul Giamatti's roommate in college. I'm sure they talked about the situation and I'd love to get him out for a few drinks and see what he knows but that guy hasn't been on the straight and narrow either and I'm reluctant to have any private conversations with him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

Of course he can't guarantee a loss, but as a manager he certainly can make moves that increase the likelihood of losing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Franky T wrote:
Of course he can't guarantee a loss, but as a manager he certainly can make moves that increase the likelihood of losing.

But not too many moves. :lol:

I am lazy and forget. How did he first get caught? Was it the phone and then slips or something dumb?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:12 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

Then I take him out and bring in Guy Hoffman. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The greatest hitter in the game should be in the HOF. As should Joe Jackson. Besides, we all know Rose will probably get into the Hall at some point after he's dead.

Put them two in, kick Santo out.

The greatest hitter is in the Hall. It ain't Pete Rose.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Ron Santo is top 10 all-time in terms of fWAR for third basemen. Your argument that he doesn't belong has no legs, just like Santo. Troll better, Subdivision cucks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
good dolphin wrote:
I don't think that's how it works.

The debt is cancelled for starting Robinson when no one else knows that he is going to start.

This scenario makes sense to me. Not trying to bet his way out of the hole. Getting his debt satisfied by creating opportunities for the bookie to make more off of other gamblers than he is forgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Nas wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I believe very few athletes are great men. None of that changes what he did on the field as a player. IMO that alone should determine if he should be allowed in the HoF.

I agree with Nas. Rose was never proven to have bet on any team other than his own and that is the main reason for me that his "crime" was not worth the "sentence" given him. He set a huge batting record that will NEVER be broken and his play on the field was stuff that as a coach you try and teach young players on how to play the game. The fact that he pissed a lot of people off and was an asshole off of the field, shouldn't exclude him. There are a lot of real assholes who have played sports that got into the HOF.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

To me, that is a big reach and speculation. Without proof on the part of the investigators, I would doubt that Rose would have done anything like that. Maybe I am wrong but, to me, betting on your team to win is nothing to warrant a lifetime suspension. Not with all of the real cheating that occurred and is still occurring with baseball athletes and PEDs.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Admin

The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

To me, that is a big reach and speculation. Without proof on the part of the investigators, I would doubt that Rose would have done anything like that. Maybe I am wrong but, to me, betting on your team to win is nothing to warrant a lifetime suspension. Not with all of the real cheating that occurred and is still occurring with baseball athletes and PEDs.

I have to say, The Hawk, you strike me as a typical Pete Rose fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
badrogue17 wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Agree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am 
100000 CLUB

The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please elaborate.

I go a step further. Even if he did, it doesn't change what he did as a player. He's not being inducted for what he did as a manager.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next