It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB 2020 SEASON
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Why would that even be necessary?

The only reason I can think is if they think there is no way they can play in their home parks for the entire year. Once you put this plan in place there is no going back to normal. Seems like a crazy idea, but if this the only way to get some baseball this year then count me in.
Agreed.

Even if they went to 7 innings or 35 man rosters or whatever, give me baseball. Give me PGA events with no fans. Give me some sense of normalcy right meow.

I thought I would be right there with you at this point, but I'm not. The disappearance of baseball is causing a vague sense of unease but nothing serious. However, if this goes on until June, I suspect I'd feel differently.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
can someone explain why they can't play baseball as normal without the fans in the stands?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hatchetman wrote:
can someone explain why they can't play baseball as normal without the fans in the stands?

The closest I heard as an answer was even just players, coaches, training staff and umps is more people they can safely have together yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hatchetman wrote:

The same reason they can't play baseball as normal and let people make their own damn decisions of showing up or staying home?

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:56 am 

pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The closest I heard as an answer was even just players, coaches, training staff and umps is more people they can safely have together yet.

This is idiotic. In that case it will be years before they play baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Nardi wrote:
Finally, pitchers hitting will die. That alone makes it appealing

I will never understand that thought.

In that case, why not just bat 8 and skip the worst fielder in the batting order?

Just bat the nine guys on the field. I really hate the DH. Make your pitchers better hitters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I worked extended spring training and gulf coast league games for a season. There were no fans, just players, staff and the umpires. These were still minor league and even major league rehabbing players and it was AWFUL to watch. Do it right or don't do it at all. People will be all fired up to watch this on tv the first week and then they will say fuck this and watch HGTV.

I would rather watch half of a real season than any of this crap they are proposing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:03 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I worked extended spring training and gulf coast league games for a season. There were no fans, just players, staff and the umpires. These were still minor league and even major league rehabbing players and it was AWFUL to watch. Do it right or don't do it at all. People will be all fired up to watch this on tv the first week and then they will say fuck this and watch HGTV.

I would rather watch half of a real season than any of this crap they are proposing.

I don't think this is true.

Watching a game on TV is not really impacted by whether there are fans in the stands or not?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Hatchetman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

This is idiotic. In that case it will be years before they play baseball.

2020 civilization is on the wrong side of history. We wrecked the economy and society over a worst case scenario of 99.97% of human beings surviving. Or, as the wrong siders say, 234 million dead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
RFDC wrote:

Watching a game on TV is not really impacted by whether there are fans in the stands or not?

I am thinking more in terms of the players and just the atmosphere of the game. That will translate to the play and the product won't be that good and then people will grow disinterested. No crowd noise, no players high fiving or chest bumping after an inning, no one in the dugout without 6 feet of separation, no home run celebrations, 7 inning games, 40 man rosters. I would rather miss baseball for a season than remember that stuff happening forever. There are also players that seem hesitant to leave their families and go into season long isolation. I believe Trout and Kershaw are both in that group.

I would honestly rather watch a home run derby circuit where guys go to different empty parks and crank bombs once a week. Have some pitchers or even position players use this new robot ump technology and compete to hit pinpoint targets in the zone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am 

RFDC wrote:

I am thinking more in terms of the players and just the atmosphere of the game. That will translate to the play and the product won't be that good and then people will grow disinterested. No crowd noise, no players high fiving or chest bumping after an inning, no one in the dugout without 6 feet of separation, no home run celebrations, 7 inning games, 40 man rosters. I would rather miss baseball for a season than remember that stuff happening forever. There are also players that seem hesitant to leave their families and go into season long isolation. I believe Trout and Kershaw are both in that group.

I would honestly rather watch a home run derby circuit where guys go to different empty parks and crank bombs once a week. Have some pitchers or even position players use this new robot ump technology and compete to hit pinpoint targets in the zone.

You have been quarantined to long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:41 pm 

I don't care in what form it comes back in, I just need baseball. At any level.

And the NBA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:

And the NBA.

I honestly miss it most when I’m in field and I can listen to it on radio. The cadence of a good radio plat by play is... I don’t want to say poetic but there is a rhythm to it that’s hard to replace. Without fans in stands though.. I doubt it would be the same but I do miss it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peter Gammons was on Mully and whoever this morning and he's saying he doesn't think there'll be baseball in 2020 at all, and no fans when it comes back in 2021.

That's depressing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That would really be awful.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Peter Gammons was on Mully and whoever this morning and he's saying he doesn't think there'll be baseball in 2020 at all, and no fans when it comes back in 2021.

That's depressing.

If baseball does come back this season it seems possible the minor leagues do not.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:36 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's depressing.

Does Peter know he is still alive? He kind of reminds me of Lee Corso now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Red Sox punishments: Loss of a second round draft pick, Alex Cora gone for what he did with Houston, replay operator suspended

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/290 ... ng-scandal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

And the NBA.

I honestly miss it most when I’m in field and I can listen to it on radio. The cadence of a good radio plat by play is... I don’t want to say poetic but there is a rhythm to it that’s hard to replace. Without fans in stands though.. I doubt it would be the same but I do miss it.

That's how White Sox radio used to be.

I couldn't quite place why I enjoyed the Cubs radio broadcast so much more as a kid. Then i realized, it was the microphone hanging below the booth. That crowd noise piped along with the announcers made all the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:55 pm 

How can these guys piss away that kind of money with such a short career? Insane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Whatever shit contraption of a season they cobble together it will still outdraw the NBA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's depressing.

That would be depressing, the thing I worry about, is say they said tomorrow, like the NHL and have a date, even start playing games, if 1 person gets sick and tests positive, does that mean it's over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Hawg Ass wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's depressing.

Does Peter know he is still alive? He kind of reminds me of Lee Corso now.

Gammons is doom and gloom now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Some people get off to things being cancelled. You cant take all of it seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Antarctica wrote:
Some people get off to things being cancelled. You cant take all of it seriously.

He lets his political views influence him too much now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm 

He also was talking about how ballpark vendors and concessions are basically over.

Just a little melodramatic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Americans aren't going to stop shoving food in their face everywhere they go.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/296 ... estigation

Good stuff from Joe Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29651830/los-angeles-dodgers-joe-kelly-sounds-houston-astros-players-handling-sign-stealing-investigation

Good stuff from Joe Kelly

He's a hero.

MLB continues to protect the Astros players to try and maintain some legitimacy to their fake title.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
The Astros players were led by MLB. The result was never in doubt about who would be left holding the bag. What were they supposed to do? "NO, it was mostly us. Now suspend us"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next