It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
There's no currently occurring sporting events to talk about, so let's talk about our past sports experiences. All of the talk about the KBO has given me an opportunity to reflect on seeing a professional baseball game in Japan. I saw the Tokyo Yakult Swallows in 2016, and it was the highlight of that trip. Baseball in Japan is a cross between a big conference college football game and an MLB game and is highly worth checking out.

Anyone else seen a professional baseball game in a foreign country? What did you think of it?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm 

Closest I've been are games at Clemente HS & Humboldt park. Which were a blast.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Regular Reader wrote:
Closest I've been are games at Clemente HS & Humboldt park. Which were a blast.

I suppose that counts. Seeing anything out of the usual vanilla American MLB experience is what I'm driving at.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
There's no currently occurring sporting events to talk about, so let's talk about our past sports experiences. All of the talk about the KBO has given me an opportunity to reflect on seeing a professional baseball game in Japan. I saw the Tokyo Yakult Swallows in 2016, and it was the highlight of that trip. Baseball in Japan is a cross between a big conference college football game and an MLB game and is highly worth checking out.

Anyone else seen a professional baseball game in a foreign country? What did you think of it?

We were the only two Americans in a bar in Ireland when everyone else was watching a soccer game on television. All of a sudden everyone in the bar stopped talking at once and did it for a minute. It turns out we were there for the commemoration of the Hillsborough disaster which I knew nothing about so we just say there trying not to be the rude Americans who talked through it while being completely clueless about what exactly we were honoring. I was certainly glad it wasn't a minute of silence for Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:56 am 

A bunch of losers watch the Chicago Swallows play at Wrigley Field of Rosemont

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:58 am 

I watched the world series late night at a bar in Rome.

I heard there was some Italian baseball league but it sounded like it was just some gindaloon americans who were jc level quality and couldn't give up on the dream

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

We were the only two Americans in a bar in Ireland when everyone else was watching a soccer game on television. All of a sudden everyone in the bar stopped talking at once and did it for a minute. It turns out we were there for the commemoration of the Hillsborough disaster which I knew nothing about so we just say there trying not to be the rude Americans who talked through it while being completely clueless about what exactly we were honoring. I was certainly glad it wasn't a minute of silence for Hitler.

I was in Ireland during the European Cup in the late 90s which featured Man U vs Bayern Munich, and this older lady (probably 50s) was basically acting as a bouncer at the door and asking who you backed... she let everyone in but if you didn't say Man U, you would get a couple fingers stabbed into your chest asking you to reconsider.