It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Pretty much every one of the old stadiums has been replaced in the last, say 25 years. Except Wrigley and Fenway and Dodger.

I hate these modern stadiums. Most of em anyway. All cookie cutter tryin' to look like Wrigley with the brick in the back.

So, which of the old stadiums do u actually miss? And why?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:30 pm 

None from my lifetime tbh.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I miss Dolphin Stadium, as crazy as that sounds. There was something I liked about the indignity of the Marlins playing at a football stadium that had no business hosting baseball, plus I always appreciate the occasional deep outfield. I miss the old Yankee Stadium because I think the shabbiness of it sort of brought the Yankees back down to earth a little bit. Sometimes it's okay for a stadium to just be a stadium.

Other than those, I think every new park has been an upgrade. I miss the Montreal Expos, but Stade Olympique was an affront to the game of baseball.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I would have loved to see Polo Grounds and Ebbets field.

Old Milwaukee county stadium is one I miss. A very underrated stadium in baseball history. Best grounds crew by far for that time. It was a major league ballpark that had a minor league feel. Great food and very cozy to watch a ballgame in.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
HawaiiYou wrote:
I would have loved to see Polo Grounds and Ebbets field.

Old Milwaukee county stadium is one I miss. A very underrated stadium in baseball history. Best grounds crew by far for that time. It was a major league ballpark that had a minor league feel. Great food and very cozy to watch a ballgame in.

As a yout I got to watch a Sox/Brewers game there in the Packers radio booth. It was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:11 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I miss Dolphin Stadium.

I only point this out because you are a stadium fanatic like me....we're nerds like that.

That place didn't open up as "Dolphin Stadium". I think that was a temporary name that was like 3rd or 4th in line of the many names for that place. The place with the stoplight on the interstate for the one way in and the one way out of there.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:37 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
spanky wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I miss Dolphin Stadium.

I only point this out because you are a stadium fanatic like me....we're nerds like that.

That place didn't open up as "Dolphin Stadium". I think that was a temporary name that was like 3rd or 4th in line of the many names for that place. The place with the stoplight on the interstate for the one way in and the one way out of there.

It was originally named Joe Robbie Stadium.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Old Yankee Stadium- lot of history there.
Comiskey Park
Shea Stadium

Would have loved to see a game at the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Old Comiskey and Tiger stadium....just for nostalgia and the old rooftop Home Runs. As CH said....there is absolutely nothing to miss about the crowded concourses and limited toilets of older stadiums. The donut multi-purpose stadiums were terrible. Don't miss them at all.

Agreed on the Expos. I love that uniform.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Comiskey
I liked County Stadium, too.

Most of the parks I took trips to as a kid are gone. I enjoyed Cleveland Municipal, but that place was a real shithole. The Metrodome sucked. Busch Stadium sucked, and it was about a million degrees in there at night in the summer. I want to say it was Dolphins Stadium when I was down there in 05. I'm sure it's decent for football, but it sucked for baseball.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think Old Comiskey is the only stadium I've ever been to that is completely GONE.

Of course, Wrigley today is nothing like the Wrigley I saw games at as a kid in the 90's. Same with Soldier Field.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I also would have liked to watch a game in the Polo Grounds. It was like 250 down the lines and a million to straight center.

I want to see Tropicana. I played plenty of wiffleball in the garage as a kid and I feel I'd like to see a version of that now.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
County Stadium was pretty good if it wasn't blazing hot outside. Although I don't mind Miller even with the expensive close-in parking. The food inside Miller is shitty because they know that most people who care about food tailgate or stop before the game.

I am not quite old enough to remember Crosley or Forbes. The late 60s and early 70s multipurpose stadiums (Three Rivers, Riverfront, Kingdome, Metrodome, Jack Murphy in SD) were all shit for baseball, and good riddance. The same will be said for Reinsdorf Stadium in Tampa when the Rays eventually move out of Florida. (The Rays should move to Salt Lake City so they can have the Utah Rays and the Utah Jazz.)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:15 pm 

spanky wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I miss Dolphin Stadium.

Of the million names the place had, that was the one I liked the best. Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark/I think there was another one in there.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:21 pm 

some of those stadiums were dumps but when they're gone nostaliga takes over. It's understandable because if that was your ballpark you grew up with, then it was your dump and you will still have fond memories.

After the remodeling of Yankee Stadium in 76, after that you would hear how the 2nd version sucked compared to the original one that Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle played in. That's all you would hear from Yankee fans. But when they build the new one and tore the remodeled one down, now the story Yankee fans tell you is how great and wonderful the 2nd version of Yankee stadium was.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
The only 2 old ones (pre-donut) I've been to that aren't around are Tiger Stadium and Comiskey. I liked them both even though Comiskey was in really rough shape. They both had a lot of character unlike the Big A at the time. When the Rams moved in they closed it up and it became basically another concrete donut.

I played in a tournament at Bush Stadium in Indianapolis and that was great. The place looked like it was right out of the 30's. I think they filmed movies there like The Natural and 8 Men Out.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
spanky wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I miss Dolphin Stadium.

Of the million names the place had, that was the one I liked the best. Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark/I think there was another one in there.

I thought it was kind of shitty that it was first Joe Robbie Stadium, then renamed Pro Player, but when PP went bankrupt, instead of reverting back to Joe Robbie Stadium, they just called it Dolphins Stadium. I think that was Wayne Huizenga's doing.

Lol, the stadium is only 33 years old, and has been renamed 9 times:

Joe Robbie Stadium August 16, 1987 – August 25, 1996
Pro Player Park August 26, 1996 – September 9, 1996
Pro Player Stadium September 10, 1996 – January 9, 2005
Dolphins Stadium January 10, 2005 – April 7, 2006
Dolphin Stadium April 8, 2006 – May 7, 2009
Land Shark Stadium May 8, 2009 – January 5, 2010
Dolphin Stadium January 6, 2010 – January 19, 2010
Sun Life Stadium January 20, 2010 – January 31, 2016
New Miami Stadium February 1, 2016 – August 16, 2016
Hard Rock Stadium August 17, 2016–present

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Thu May 07, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 pm 

The renovations they've done since the Marlins left are so extensive that it's tempting to call it a new stadium.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm 

I miss old Comiskey. Especially the taco stand on the third base side.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:47 pm 

When the owner use to name the stadium after himself now looks like something a dictator would do. I guess they were dictators in those days. But the name Joe Robbie I had never heard of before that stadium name. How big was this guys' ego? we all know about Cheap-isky.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
none of them. if i wanted old architecture, i'll go to europe.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:58 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
When the owner use to name the stadium after himself now looks like something a dictator would do. I guess they were dictators in those days. But the name Joe Robbie I had never heard of before that stadium name. How big was this guys' ego? we all know about Cheap-isky.

I dunno. Owned the Dolphins. But I assume he paid for the stadium himself. Better than the people financing the stadium, the name being sold to an insurance company, and all the profit going to the team owner.

I don't think Jack Murphy ever owned the Chargers, it was always either the Hiltons or the Spanoses, people in San Diego just thought Jack Murphy was a good sportswriter and a jam-up guy.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
The renovations they've done since the Marlins left are so extensive that it's tempting to call it a new stadium.

Holy shit I had no idea those were the same stadium!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:

Holy shit I had no idea those were the same stadium!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I dunno. Owned the Dolphins. But I assume he paid for the stadium himself. Better than the people financing the stadium, the name being sold to an insurance company, and all the profit going to the team owner.

I don't think Jack Murphy ever owned the Chargers, it was always either the Hiltons or the Spanoses, people in San Diego just thought Jack Murphy was a good sportswriter and a jam-up guy.

According to Wikipedia, while Robbie was the founding owner of the Dolphins, he did not want his name on the stadium, but said he was pressured into it. Yeah, sure. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:54 pm 

The Charlotte Bobcats got their name because the original owner's name was Bob. The NBA wanted "Flight" or "Dragons," they'd had a boner for naming a team the Dragons for years.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:05 pm 

I always thought the United Center was elegantly named, since Jerry and Dollar Bill might have been able to squeeze out a few more dollars by allowing it to be the United Airlines Center.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:17 pm 

That's a good point. The Meadowlands shifted at some point from Continental Arena to Continental Airlines Arena, or vice versa. That was a case where it didn't matter what you called it because people were just gonna call the shithole where the Devils played "the Meadowlands" anyway. I think United is a strong enough brand (or was) to stand on its own without "Airlines." American can't.

Salt Lake City had the Delta Center, but now it's like the Dynamic Smart Home Camera Solutions Arena or some Infinite Jest crap.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I always thought the United Center was elegantly named, since Jerry and Dollar Bill might have been able to squeeze out a few more dollars by allowing it to be the United Airlines Center.

I think that is why the Phoenix Cardinals became the Arizona Cardinals because they could get access to some state taxes.