It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It will be interesting to see how they handle the fact that Sosa was basically disowned by the Cubs and fans.

That's interesting. I think most fans still like him and would give him an ovation. The diehards that post here might not. But I think the casual fan still love him and his act.
I don't think most Cubs fans like him and the Ricketts seem to really not like him.

I think Ricketts is a Sosa fan who got pushed into taking a hard stance on Sammy and now is afraid to back down. When he bought the team a lot of Cubs fans were sour on Sammy because of the way it all ended, but 10 years later people remember the joy he brought them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Anyone else with no interest in this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

I'll watch it at some point. Nothing else is on. I just recently watched the 4 hour Lance doc and it would be hard to make these two look worse than that guy.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Last edited by conns7901 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Peoria Matt wrote:

I would be predisposed to agree with you, but I've watched half of The Last Dance, and I was amazed about all the things I've forgotten. Therefore, I think I will watch this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It’s supposed to be mostly about McGwire, so not that interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
It's on for you guys. Later for me.

WSCR will have Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer post show with their comments . I don't know if Bernstien will be on as well.

I hope it's podcast because I'd like to listen as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Long Gone Summer sounds like a surf documentary. I'll probably catch it at some point as that era was historically interesting for baseball. I was heavily involved in steroid culture around that time so I know exactly what steroids do. McGwire pretty much took it as far as it could go as far as raw power since he had almost the perfect body type. The bombs he was hitting were on a different level than the other steroid guys. A smaller guy is going to see enormous gains but a bigger guy putting in equal work is still going to go further.

Baseball was pretty dead after the strike. I was living in Baltimore at the time and on a weeknight the sports bars would be full and the Cardinals game would be on. When McGwire hit the ball in the air the place would erupt. I've never seen anything like that before or since. The only thing I can think of that is similar is the World Cup.

I think the baseball writers should carry most of the blame for how out of control things were. Most people covering baseball are dorks who don't do any serious work in the gym so they just couldn't get their minds wrapped around what steroids can do. You really have to see it to truly get it. It was hilarious hearing these dopes debate how much steroids could impact the game. Steroids don't help you hit a ball...lol. Yeah right. More strength and never being worn down isn't going to help. They never got it and most still don't. It wouldn't have taken much effort on their part. Steroids were so prevalent they could have found a personal trainer willing to show them what was really going on. It wasn't a guy drinking a shake and watching tv like I heard one of these fools say one time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

That was pretty good.

ESPN does a good job with these documentaries.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
Long Gone Summer sounds like a surf documentary. I'll probably catch it at some point as that era was historically interesting for baseball. I was heavily involved in steroid culture around that time so I know exactly what steroids do. McGwire pretty much took it as far as it could go as far as raw power since he had almost the perfect body type. The bombs he was hitting were on a different level than the other steroid guys. A smaller guy is going to see enormous gains but a bigger guy putting in equal work is still going to go further.

Baseball was pretty dead after the strike. I was living in Baltimore at the time and on a weeknight the sports bars would be full and the Cardinals game would be on. When McGwire hit the ball in the air the place would erupt. I've never seen anything like that before or since. The only thing I can think of that is similar is the World Cup.

I think the baseball writers should carry most of the blame for how out of control things were. Most people covering baseball are dorks who don't do any serious work in the gym so they just couldn't get their minds wrapped around what steroids can do. You really have to see it to truly get it. It was hilarious hearing these dopes debate how much steroids could impact the game. Steroids don't help you hit a ball...lol. Yeah right. More strength and never being worn down isn't going to help. They never got it and most still don't. It wouldn't have taken much effort on their part. Steroids were so prevalent they could have found a personal trainer willing to show them what was really going on. It wasn't a guy drinking a shake and watching tv like I heard one of these fools say one time.

HGH is different than steroids right? I dont know, asking. The BALCO era needs its own documentary. Why did Bonds head size increase on HGH while McGwire and Sosa's didnt on over the counter steroids and alleged illegal steroids?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Great to see Ragdoll Rigs on there.

Nicest guy in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:52 pm 

it brought back good memories.

I didnt realize how close Sosa was to McGwire at the end of the season going in the last 3 games. He had a 1 HR lead over him. Would it have been something if Sosa won after all the pomp and circumstance big mac got?

They glossed over the steroid era. Got a few sentences in from Bob Costas and they brought out George Will from his basement to give his thoughts too.

It would be nice if the Cubs accept Sammy. They seem to forget how much money they made off Sosa.

Cubs come off very petty in this doc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
How's white man wannabe's Sosa's bleach job holding up? The Score has been building this up to stir people's interest up like it's another "The Last Dance". Even a post-show with Pat Hughes and Coomer. Might be interesting to get Coomer's views, if they're not coached, or scripted like the Scores race speil.

It's like Jesus Christ when he came to Jerusalem. Everybody thought Jesus Christ was a witch, and he was our savior. So if they talk [poop] about Jesus Christ, what about me? Are you kidding me?"
-Sammy Sosa-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I actually like Sammy a little more after that. He's certainly less of a tool than McGwire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:48 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I completely forgot that McGwire hit 4 home runs in the last two games of the season. It was fine. B-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I tuned in and then suddenly remembered I didn't give a shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:51 pm 

It was fine. I did not love it and I did not hate it. It was fun to see some of the HRs from that season and how tight it was coming down to the end.

It is really hard to take Sosa seriously with all the whitening he has done over the years.

It definitely was hurt by the timing of coming after the Last Dance and how well liked that was by so many people. It would have been better received if it was shown before the Last Dance.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Kaplan, Silvy and Waddle said it sucked, that's a quote.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm 

312player wrote:

Im surprised Kaplan would say it sucked as he was in some of the clips/interviews.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 pm 

312player wrote:

They're experts on sucking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

312 sucks worse.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
tommy wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yes.

I’m about 2/3rds of the way through it.

It’s not really a documentary. There’s no interesting storyline or theme. It’s basically MLB Presents: 1998 Highlights.

There is no real narrative - certainly not a compelling one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
tommy wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yes.

I’m about 2/3rds of the way through it.

It’s not really a documentary. There’s no interesting storyline or theme. It’s basically MLB Presents: 1998 Highlights.

There is no real narrative - certainly not a compelling one.

Yeah. I guess I liked it cuz I liked reminiscing about it. And, quite frankly, cuz we have no fucking sports now. It's more for younger people who didn't know the story.

Not a Cubs fan. But I enjoyed that HR race. It was fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

312 sucks worse.

#Truth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 pm 

It was a time killer. It is not one I will ever stop to watch again if it is on. The Two Escobars and the U are still my two favorite.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:01 am 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
It was fine. I did not love it and I did not hate it. It was fun to see some of the HRs from that season and how tight it was coming down to the end.

It definitely was hurt by the timing of coming after the Last Dance and how well liked that was by so many people. It would have been better received if it was shown before the Last Dance.
Agree with this. It was fine. Not appointment viewing under normal circumstances, but in this climate it was fine to kill time and watch. Certainly better than anything NBA related at this point.

Also agree with Jorr in that I came away liking Sosa a little more after this viewing. Love him or hate him, Sammy is genuine if nothing else. You can't say that about MANY superstar athletes nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I loved watching Sammy. I spent years in the '90s in the RF bleachers watching him sprint out to his position, throw the warm-up ball up into the crowd, and standing on his grass square spot that was setup so he knew where to position himself.

Sammy loved being Sammy. He was fun to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am 
100000 CLUB

Sammy loved being Sammy. He was fun to watch.
Sounds like this is still true. While I think he would enjoy and revel in a return to Wrigley, he doesn't seem to be losing any sleep over the Cubs organeyezation's thoughts on him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
his grass square spot that was setup so he knew where to position himself.

what did this look like? did he have 2 or three of them out there depending on the batter?