It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
It's that the average player he was playing against was far worse than it is now.

And I disagree with that. The average player now is on better drugs.
Aren't you arguing that Babe Ruth was as athletic as Barry Bonds?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
It's that the average player he was playing against was far worse than it is now.

More athletic.

Here's one of those tiny and weak white guys from the 50s who could never hold his own against the power of P.K. Subban:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 am 

Think about how good whoever that person is could have been if they hadn't had to be a fisherman in the offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

More athletic.

Here's one of those tiny and weak white guys from the 50s who could never hold his own against the power of P.K. Subban:

Robert Marvin Hull

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 am 

JORR, how do you know Butkus was faster than Ray Lewis?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Shouldn't they rename the negro leagues to the Person of Color leagues?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:01 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:

I've seen his 40 times. But whatever. I don't even really want to have such a dumb argument. Whether or not one guy was slightly faster is immaterial. It's not like Butkus was running with his shoes tied together. And if you think George Mikan couldn't have guarded Daniel Oturu, you're just mistaken.

Let's try it this way. Do you think Jack Johnson and Joe Lewis were less athletic than Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:06 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I've seen his 40 times. But whatever. I don't even really want to have such a dumb argument. Whether or not one guy was slightly faster is immaterial. It's not like Butkus was running with his shoes tied together. And if you think George Mikan couldn't have guarded Daniel Oturu, you're just mistaken.

Let's try it this way. Do you think Jack Johnson and Joe Lewis were less athletic than Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz?

I am on your side in this argument. I was just curious what you were basing that statement on.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:08 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:

Robert Marvin Hull

Bobby Hull wins it! Much the best!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 am 

Juiced wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Cool, though not sure how accurate numbers are from the period.

Baseball had lost the sanctity of its numbers since the the steroids era. Too bad only 56 players from the Negro League are still alive to see it.

Wonder how sincere it feels to them since it is basically white shaming that made MLB include the stats. I would tell MLB, "Nah, you can shove the disingenuous act up your ass. Where were you owners 10-20 years ago when people made change because it was the right thing to do and not because they want to be on the popular side of public opinion?"

I am sick and tired of the fake propaganda sports have evolved into. Would love to see some new leagues pop up in all the major sports that have no underlining agenda, except to provide an escape from real world bullshit.

Does establishing them as Major League provide any benefits to the former players like pension and healthcare?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:20 am 

I like the mental image of Brick arguing with Isaac Newton and not conceding a point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Cool, though not sure how accurate numbers are from the period.

Baseball had lost the sanctity of its numbers since the the steroids era. Too bad only 56 players from the Negro League are still alive to see it.

Wonder how sincere it feels to them since it is basically white shaming that made MLB include the stats. I would tell MLB, "Nah, you can shove the disingenuous act up your ass. Where were you owners 10-20 years ago when people made change because it was the right thing to do and not because they want to be on the popular side of public opinion?"

I am sick and tired of the fake propaganda sports have evolved into. Would love to see some new leagues pop up in all the major sports that have no underlining agenda, except to provide an escape from real world bullshit.

Does establishing them as Major League provide any benefits to the former players like pension and healthcare?

They did get a small pension about twenty years back. It wasn't too much, if I remember korrectli. Not sure about health care.

I wonder how many are left? Hammerin' Hank and Minnie Minoso were the last ones to play.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:

I think all the families get 40 acres and a mule .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: What??
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
JOrr I do agree with your overall sentiment, I just don't see how baseball can say we will put some stats in but keep some stats out. It just doesn't work like that, or at least it shouldn't. It has to be all or nothing I would think.

Or maybe they will put 3/5 of Josh Gibson's homers into the record books.

But what are the agreed upon Josh Gibson stats? And why stop with the Negro Leagues? Should we honor Japanese Baseball stats?

They honored Federal League stats. It's hard to say Japan's league is NOT a major league.

According to the Baseball Hall of Fame, Gibson officially has 115 HRs. My guess is they'll dig up a few hundred more. Enough to get him over the 500 mark.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:29 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

More athletic.

Gonna have to agree with this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:32 am 

Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
JOrr I do agree with your overall sentiment, I just don't see how baseball can say we will put some stats in but keep some stats out. It just doesn't work like that, or at least it shouldn't. It has to be all or nothing I would think.

But what are the agreed upon Josh Gibson stats? And why stop with the Negro Leagues? Should we honor Japanese Baseball stats?

They honored Federal League stats. It's hard to say Japan's league is NOT a major league.

I don't know, Nardi. What's next? The Korean league? The Mexican leagues? I mean, the Japanese league is a major league, but still not quite MLB-caliber. It's not the CFL, but it's probably better than Triple A.

You're right about Federal League stats. I meant to say that somewhere above. But that was a pretty good league, from the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 am 

Why honor stats before 1910? The invention of the cork center in the ball. Before then, teams scored 3 runs and routinely made 8 errors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 am 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I don't know, Nardi. What's next? The Korean league? The Mexican leagues? I mean, the Japanese league is a major league, but still not quite MLB-caliber. It's not the CFL, but it's probably better than Triple A.

You're right about Federal League stats. I meant to say that somewhere above. But that was a pretty good league, from the sounds of it.

You guys are raising some legit questions. 1) What defines a major league? 2) Why do the AL and NL get to declare what it is?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 am 

Japan has a major league. It's objectively true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:

What makes a league "major"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am 

Where does Bruce get 800 hrs from?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Barnstorming MLBers playing them and losing. MLBers saying "they're good".

Last edited by Nardi on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:51 am 

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Barnstorming MLBers playing them and losing

Thats not really what was happening. Framing this like the Harlem globetrotters is wrong.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Barnstorming MLBers playing them and losing. MLBers saying "they're good".

And when has a Japanese team beaten MLB players? Charlie Manuel and Tuffy Rhodes were Japanese MVPs for God's sake. Plus there is a limit to foreign players on teams.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
As much as I love baseball, I've never put much stock in the pre 1947 numbers for what was a flawed game all around. I love the stories but don't respect any of the numbers. They mean nothing. Starting with Cy Young's win total. It's b.s. and so outsized that it's never talked about.

I would agree with the soft version of this argument. I think there were some Black players (they called them "Chief" and "Babe"). The pre-1900 numbers seem a little silly, but the problem is that you can say that about the dead ball era, and then again about the 20s and 30s (the rabbit ball), and then during WWII. It seems like that argument says that it wasn't "real" baseball.

Yet the game would have been significantly better with Negro League stars. I wonder which owners would have had the balls to sign a bunch of them? (Bill Veeck always wanted to, even when he was with the cubs, who suck balls.)

Cy Young and a few others are aberrations. But at least he knew how to stay healthy. Not sure how hard he threw, but there was a reason they called young Denton "Cyclone." But I do wish the award was the Walter Johnson award.

The game's best player played back then, too. And unlike Bonds, he wasn't the product of his era (steroids); he created his own era, like YHWH, out of nothing. The rest of the league (with the exception of the White Sox) caught on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Barnstorming MLBers playing them and losing

Thats not really what was happening. Framing this like the Harlem globetrotters is wrong.

Japan has had a professional league since 1934 after Babe Ruth and some of the boys barnstormed Japan.

https://www.mlb.com/news/japan-wins-for ... c300750774

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They dominated Little League for the past decade. Japan also won the World Baseball Classic a few times.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

You guys are raising some legit questions. 1) What defines a major league? 2) Why do the AL and NL get to declare what it is?

--the highest level possible as determined by the players and the market
--the league where, for a collection or aggregate of skills, success in one league would translate to success in every other

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:01 am 

tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
As much as I love baseball, I've never put much stock in the pre 1947 numbers for what was a flawed game all around. I love the stories but don't respect any of the numbers. They mean nothing. Starting with Cy Young's win total. It's b.s. and so outsized that it's never talked about.

I would agree with the soft version of this argument. I think there were some Black players (they called them "Chief" and "Babe"). The pre-1900 numbers seem a little silly, but the problem is that you can say that about the dead ball era, and then again about the 20s and 30s (the rabbit ball), and then during WWII. It seems like that argument says that it wasn't "real" baseball.

Yet the game would have been significantly better with Negro League stars. I wonder which owners would have had the balls to sign a bunch of them? (Bill Veeck always wanted to, even when he was with the cubs, who suck balls.)

Cy Young and a few others are aberrations. But at least he knew how to stay healthy. Not sure how hard he threw, but there was a reason they called young Denton "Cyclone." But I do wish the award was the Walter Johnson award.

The game's best player played back then, too. And unlike Bonds, he wasn't the product of his era (steroids); he created his own era, like YHWH, out of nothing. The rest of the league (with the exception of the White Sox) caught on.

Generally, Negro league pitching could never catch up to the hitting. It was bad. I don't doubt Gibson had 800+.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
blackhawksfan wrote:
Shouldn't they rename the negro leagues to the Person of Color leagues?

BIPOC Leagues would be the preferred nomenclature.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next