It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I thought when compared to 3rd basemen already in that Rolen holds up very well and probably should go in.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Not that BR nerd scores are the end all be all (sorry Dan) but

How much do the 8 GGs make up for not really having HoF hitting stats?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
"Yes son, I once had the privilege of seeing the great HOF'er Harold Baines play. Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez and Roger Clemens were ok too, but they didn't quite measure up to the lofty standards of the Hall of Fame. Maybe some day the veteran's committee will let them in after they are dead. Until then, there are plenty of pretty good players here in Cooperstown that are much more deserving, maybe next year it will be legendary Scott Rolen! When will Bobby Abreu FINALLY make it in?"

HOF is a joke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This whole post in probably an over simplification, but this is the only way I can make sense of the situation. I don't see how you can separate Bonds from Clemens. It seems like both of them had an extended stretch of time during which they were not using steroids, and they were both fantastic players during that period of time. Therefore, in my estimation, they should both be in.

Then there's Manny and A-Rod. They were both using steroids for the bulk of their career, but they were such fantastic players that I think they would still be great without steroids. I think they should also be in.

Then you've got guys like Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire, Ortiz, and Piazza. I think the only reason they're either in the Hall of Fame or in the discussion, is because they took steroids. Those guys are definite "no's" for me.

The hard guys are guys like Pettite, Sheffield, Bagwell, or Pudge Rodriguez. What percentage of time did they use? Would they have been great without them? I'm not going to fault someone for making a choice one way or the next with those guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
This whole post in probably an over simplification, but this is the only way I can make sense of the situation. I don't see how you can separate Bonds from Clemens. It seems like both of them had an extended stretch of time during which they were not using steroids, and they were both fantastic players during that period of time. Therefore, in my estimation, they should both be in.

Then there's Manny and A-Rod. They were both using steroids for the bulk of their career, but they were such fantastic players that I think they would still be great without steroids. I think they should also be in.

Then you've got guys like Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire, Ortiz, and Piazza. I think the only reason they're either in the Hall of Fame or in the discussion, is because they took steroids. Those guys are definite "no's" for me.

The hard guys are guys like Pettite, Sheffield, Bagwell, or Pudge Rodriguez. What percentage of time did they use? Would they have been great without them? I'm not going to fault someone for making a choice one way or the next with those guys.

Not over simplification. Common sense. Plus some instinct from a fan who's watched, yes, actually watched countless games.

I'll grant that there was a time to be petty. That time is over.